Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old butter milk for making cornbread.

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 12:59

We were sitting around discussing our plans for today's dinner at work yesterday. A guy that is originally from West Virginia told us his cornbread recipe.

A new one on me! He said that they buy the butter milk way ahead of time to make cornbread so that it gets lumpy. He said that it gives it a better flavor!

I guess it would be safe since it is baked at 400 degrees?

I'm not going to try it that way, just curious!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old butter milk for making cornbread.

My grandmother, born perhaps 1880s in Tennessee, preferred old clumpy buttermilk for her cornbread. Modern recipes put some flour in the cornbread. She did not. As a kid I thought this cornbread, still hot, with butter and molasses was about as good a breakfast could get.

o

Flour and sugar don't belong in cornbread!

Mine is stone ground cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, and veggie oil, in a 50+ year old cast iron pan, simple and tasty!

o

Flour and sugar are just fine in cornbread, for those who like it that way.

I can't see any advantage in "aging" buttermilk. What it appears they're trying to do is emulate the bits of butter which appear in real buttermilk left from churning. But that's entirely different from a curdled commercial product.

Carol

o

I think you probably hit the nail on the head Carol!

He said it was his Grandmas recipe and that she made her own butter!

o

My grandmother did not make her own butter.

She made me do it.

o

We made all our own butter, so I remember it well. My stepmom used to love the buttermilk remaining or clabber milk with cornbread as a snack.

(I mean chunks of cold cornbread in a tall glass with buttermilk or clabber milk poured over and eaten with a tall spoon.)

Now that's as old-time Southern as it gets.

Carol

o

That is good eating Carol.

Mom churned the milk from Lucy, our jersey cow, and we ate the cornbread the same way, except we added onions!

o

I never churned cream, but I do remember real buttermilk with bits of butter floating in it. And, now you've all made me hungry for real cornbread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here