Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Does Anyone Have FRozen/Fresh Grape Leaves?

treehugger101
12 years ago

I have been put on a special diet with no citrus acid. Therefore, no jarred grape leaves. I am desperate to find someone with excess leaves either fresh or frozen that I can buy. Your help is appreciated. My diet is fairly miserable. Thanks.

Terri

Comments (28)

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No you can blanch and freeze them dry for up to a year. I found a great website about this
    http://greekfood.about.com/od/ingredientpreptechniques/a/abelofylla.htm

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I've done it. Carol Costenbader also provides directions in Preserving the Harvest. It's a pain but works very well. Better taste than the brined ones also.

The other option is to make the dolmas (in season) and freeze those. They freeze wonderfully.

Carol

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But does anyone have these leaves? Please help. I am a greek food freak.

• mellyofthesouth
    12 years ago

What about using something like collards instead of grape leaves until the vines sprout some new leaves in the spring?

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Swiss chard will also work in lieu of grape leaves until the spring crop comes on.

Another option instead of dolmas is to use the stuffing in small peppers or eggplant so at least you have the flavor of the filling.

Carol

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess anything can be used as a wrap but it does not have the flavor or texture of grape leaves. I was hoping either someone here had some frozen or dried or was down South where they still had leaves growing. I finally found a non-cheese Feta (real Feta has Citrus Acid, too and also yeast which I also cannot have) so I am all set except for the leaves.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I don't know if this would work for you, but here are suppliers of Middle Eastern Groceries that sell imported frozen grape leaves. I know Mandros Imported Foods in Lancaster, PA. does. So you might check nearby grocers or even Mandros and see if they will ship you some.

However, you would need to see how they're processed and if there's any acid involved.

Carol

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are a life saver! I am only 2 hours away from Madros and will call them. I'm crossing my fingers they have them. Thanks a lot!

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I called Madros and they do not have them. Still looking...

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I am sorry. Last time I checked they did. But at least it's a lead and some other regional Middle Eastern grocery may.

Carol

• eahamel
    12 years ago

There aren't any grape leaves on the vines even here in the South right now. I've been looking for them, too.

• zzackey
    12 years ago

I would gladly sell you some grape leaves dirt cheap (sorry, no pun intended.) I've never eaten them. It will be a few months though before they start to leaf up. Does the variety matter? We have Muscadine and Scuppernongs.

• treehugger101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zackey - Yes please! You or anyone else who has them can email me at terri@sommellamarketing.com. would you? I am looking for 60 - 200 young Spring leaves. Spring is right around the corner! Thanks.

• Leya2012
    11 years ago

Yes I do I have a grape vineyard I take very good care of and selling them fresh you can pick them yourself or I can jar them for you or freeze them for you please call me @ 916-821-7816 or by email mymodifications22@yahoo.com

• nancyofnc
    11 years ago

I thought buying and selling was not allowed on GW forums?

• boruchmenachem
    11 years ago

I Have a ton of Fresh very large organic grape leaves in S. Florida you can e-mail or call 305 321 6338

• lady1uniqu
    8 years ago

Do you have fresh or frozen grape leaves now which I can order. How much. 10416 Soaring Eagle Dr. Riverview, Fl. 33579

Emma Thomas.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

I have some available. Please email me at zackeysmom@yahoo.com.

• Mike Oxlong
    8 years ago

I have leaves and I could also root vines. They are wild non-fruiting like dolmas are made with and reach sizes of 12 inches, maybe 8-9 inches while still "light" and tender. I'd strip large leaves and water n feed to force the smallest tender ones to grow out if someone wants a lot. xxxxljoelxxxx@yahoo.com

• Mike Oxlong
    8 years ago

If you cut your vines down at the end of the year leaf growth will be immense due to a few small shoots having the root system of a mature plant. Also, if grown in the shade, the leaves will stay tender to any size. I suspect that hydroponic growing would do the same to a certain extant. You can cook the wood to make charcoal to sell to pyro's for making gunpowder, or dry them and use for many other things, in case any of you have them and need them for any of these purposes.

• bcskye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can wild grape leaves be used for cooking or do they have to have domestic grape leaves?

• chervil2
    8 years ago

I have used both domestic and wild grape leaves for making stuffed grape leaves. Both types of leaves should be young and tender. Avoid the older, tougher, and bug damaged leaves.

• bcskye
    8 years ago

Thanks, chervil2. If I don't sell my place, I'll harvest a lot of them next year.

• Amy Marzouq
    3 years ago

Yes I pick them in Michigan and freeze them.

• Amy Marzouq
    3 years ago

• chefdriven
    2 years ago

Hi Amy! do you still have frozen grapeleaves? Id live to buy some. If so could you email me at chefdriven@hotmail.com .

thank you,

Brian

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yeah I intended to save some myself/ I put it off as so much coming in at one time. and with this NEW order clown world out there . I get so distracted... Plus older...LOL

I only had some one time at a Greek outdoor festival...I cant remember what they were stuffed with either. I cut most of mine down as they were here when we moved in and get full of disease. Saw some wild ones growing . It is too bad we cant eat wild Honeysuckle that PARASITE....LOL

Thanks all Brothers and sisters of the Soil

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists