Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisydawnny

Turkeys Revenge question

daisydawnny
11 years ago

I made Turkeys Revenge this year and it was a big hit....so big that I am down to my last jar. I can not find fresh cranberries in the grocery, they say they are seasonal. Can I substitute with frozen cranberries? Friends and family want more of the yummy stuff....I hate to disappoint.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Have no idea what "Turkey's Revenge" is, sorry. So this may not be of any help. But don't know of any reason why frozen can't be substituted in 'most' recipes, especially if thawed and drained first.

Also a good reason for canning cranberries when they are in season.

Dave

• cannond
    11 years ago

I looked up this recipe for habanero jelly, a.k.a. Turkey's Revenge. If this is what your making, then frozen cranberries should'nt make any difference.

I think I'd like to make it myself.

Deborah

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Habanero Jelly! Now that would have been helpful info to have. :)

Never would have thought of that from the name. I was picturing some sort of turkey casserole or at least something with turkey in it - given the name.

Dave

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Deborah, that is the recipe, was pretty sure I had found it here so thought I would take a chance and ask...you should make it, it's been a big hit!

I will try the frozen cranberries and take Dave's advice and can Cranberries next year, good tip, thanks!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

I hadn't heard it called that either, but googling Turkeys Revenge brought some interesting videos of encounters gone wrong with turkeys, a fun distraction earlier today :) Apparently they get semi-aggressive when things don't go their way.

• rdback
    11 years ago

Hi daisydawnny.

Frozen cranberries should work fine.

fyi, this recipe was developed by ottawappper a few years ago. Check out the link below for more info.

And I agree, it's a great jelly!

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: post in Hot Pepper forum

• jimster
    11 years ago

My guess was way off. To me it sounded like a salmonella infection from handling raw turkey. Sort of a different twist on Montezuma's revenge.

Jim

• User
    11 years ago

Yep, no issue using frozen. You can also sub sweetened cranberry juice if you can't find unsweetened.

Here's a copy of one of my original posts for anyone interested...

Habanero Cranberry Jelly (I call it Turkey's Revenge).

I created (ok, not wholly created LOL) this variation of Melly's Cran-Jalapeno Jelly. Using Melly's as a starting point and tweaking it with the kind assistance and encouragement of Zabby, the end result is a fiery hot cranberry jelly for cold fall and winter nights. Heck, it's great in the summer too!

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:
    1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions

1. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    2. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    3. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

This is all great info to have. Unfortunately it is after the fact.

There is simply no way to correlate a question about something called Turkey's Revenge - a made up name - with a question about Habanero Jelly. Not unless one happens to be one of the few familiar with that particular post. The recipe by the way, was named Habanero Cranberry Jelly.

So posts, as a courtesy and convenience if nothing else, should include such important information.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I have to admit I'm with Dave on this one. I had not a clue what Turkey's Revenge referred to. Melly's Cranberry jelly I remember well.

Cranberries freeze beautifully and keep well a long time. I would definitely consider using frozen.

Carol

• daisydawnny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all...next time I have a question I will try to provide more information. I was in a bit of a rush that day. I apologize.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm