Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter squash dried out - can still use?

Posted by potterhead2 z5b NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 13:27

I have a couple dozen mini butternut squashes stored in a cool, dark room this winter. Some of them have become very light in weight and I assume they are drying out. Can I still use them? Not for fresh eating obviously, but what about rehydrating them and pureeing for soup?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter squash dried out - can still use?

Sure, you can still use them.

One of our new-to-us and now-a-favorite recipes for butternut squash is the Beef and Butternut Stew linked below. We were pleasantly surprised how well the squash held up to the long cooking time in the broth. That might work well with the ones you think are drying out.

We've re-thought our garden plan and are planting more butternuts (we got 16 large Waltham's this year and only have five left) because we discovered they make a great substitute for sweet potatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beef and Butternut Squash Stew

o

Thanks Malna, I will definately try the stew!

o

Thanks for the recipe. Wish I saw this last night. I made pot roast with mashed potatoes but I wanted to make something different. Also my doctor is encouraging me to keep off the whites.

o

Along the same lines, I watched something on a PBS old Martha Stewart marathon a couple of weeks ago, where she took acorn squash and diced them up, then tossed them in ground cumin, hot pepper flakes, salt, and olive oil, then roasted them in a hot oven.

So I thought I'd try that, both with a butternut and a kabocha type squash, but for longer and a 350 F oven. Toss with the dry ingredients first. Just a touch of salt. Poke with a fork at 30 - 40 minutes, done when soft.

Pretty good stuff.

o

Yes, very tasty. I made squash soup with fresh squash, then added dehydrated squash. The chewy testure was satisfying and the taste was a lovely complement to fresh squash and peanut butter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here