Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serving breakfast for 20 people, how much sausage to buy?

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 13:29

I told my co-workers about some really good breakfast sausage that I bought last week from a local farmer. Pasture raised, really lean, you almost have to add grease to brown it.

I should have known better of course! :)

I got volunteered to cook breakfast for the shop next week! So I'm going to feed them sausage and egg biscuits next Tue. on my dime. And I'm cheap!

Since it is very lean and doesn't shrink, a pound is still almost a pound. I hope that makes sense!

It is kinda expensive @ $5 a pound, but actually not that expensive since most sausage is at least 1/3 fat.

I'm guessing 15 pounds for one biscuit per person?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serving breakfast for 20 people, how much sausage to buy?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 13:44

Average biscuit sized sausage patty is 1/4 lb. (1/3 pound max.) 20 div. by 4 = 5 lbs. 20 div. by 3 = 6.6 lbs.

15 lbs would give you almost 3/4 lb per person!!

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 13:46

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 14:03

I was curious, so I just weighed some breakfast sausage patties we made. Most are a little over 1/4 pound but less than 1/3 pound each. They are about 3" in diameter.

What a nice thing to do :-)

o

Thanks Dave,

I'm brain dead due to being outside in single digit temps all day, it was 9 degrees at 6 AM and I was outside in it, starting at 4 AM!

o

Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 16:40

Man that's a new definition of "brain freeze". :)

Dave

o

Wow, I didn't know it got that cold in SC. It was 2 degrees here at 7am - beats the -9 predicted!

o

I would have said between 5 and 10 lbs depending on how hungry the people are.

We'd have several below zero days and nights, and next week is to be worse. Also LOTS of snow. 11" one day, most days are not near that, but Indianapolis has had 23.5" so far in January with 3-7" more this weekend.

Marla

o

It hasn't been this cold in upstate SC, for this long, in my lifetime, ajsmama!

They are predicting low temps here for next week also. 16's to 20's. But at least not single digits!

We aren't used to this and not prepared, so we are having a lot of problems with water pipes bursting at work even with heat trace. I've been lucky so far at home, knock on wood!

I have been trying to buy copper pipe and heat trace to do repairs at work and everyone is sold out!

Where is Al gore when you need him? I need some global warming! ;)

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 16:43

It's actually "warm" today (all the way up to 25 degrees!) but we do have about 3 inches of new snow and it's still coming down.

I did have to chuckle when I checked the weather this morning - apparently, the weather in New Jersey is headline news because of the Super Bowl. Not news to me. The vast majority of Januarys and Februarys are cold, icy and/or snowy here. What were they thinking?

o

I'm glad it hasn't snowed much with it being this cold, but eventually we will need some precipitation. We got out of the mild drought we were in during 2012-early 2013 but we've still been "abnormally dry" lately.

Knock on wood Mother Nature won't send a deluge like we had last June though.

o

Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 17:28

Meanwhile the Iditarod qualifying race in Alaska had to be postponed because it was too warm and not enough snow. It has been warmer in Anchorage AK than in much of the US - including here - for the past 2 weeks.

Dave

o

We're above freezing today, but today's high will be the high for the week, we drop back to zero and below for the next 3 days.

o

I was going to say 5 lbs also. We buy a lean sausage that comes in 14 oz packages and that feeds the 4 of us, including 2 hungry teen boys.

I think that is a generous amount, but I suppose it also depends on the size of your biscuits. Comparing to 1/4 lb and 1/3 lb burger patties, I wouldn't generally expect a sausage patty or a biscuit to be as large as a hamburger patty or bun . We made sliders for a party with about 1/5 lb patties (8-10% fat) and they were pretty meaty.

o

You could make your own and save even more. Pork shoulder/butts have been on sale recently for as little as $1.25 or $1.50 per pound. They were out when I got there last time, but it does happen. Pork Loins hit $1.99 quite often. Can't get much leaner than that. I ground a shoulder last summer when it was $1.50 a pound and made sausage. I cut a lot of the fat off the top and it still made good fatty sausage. I'm not sure I want to make my own every time, but I'd never done it and wanted to try. It was really good. I might try grinding a loin next time and see how that does. If it's not fatty enough, you can always add fatback, hog jowl, or some bacon, I guess. I don't claim to be squeamish, but that had to be one of the least appetizing things I've ever done, while I was doing it. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here