Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

Presto Canning instructions

KSprairie
9 years ago

Is there are article or posting that references instructions and tips for Presto pressure canners? I use the NCHFP for reference, but it does not cover all the details that have popped up here. I have read on this forum not to go by our instruction manual, but I find it difficult to not have a clear, concise, set of instructions. I try jot down notes regarding specific helpful hints when i see them posted here, but I am sure I have missed some. Just wondering if they are compiled someplace that I can use and also give to friends interested in pressure canning.
Thanks!

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Presto are the easiest to use models, the most straight forward, IMO. So I guess I'd need to know what the specific issues are? Especially what issue you might have that isn't covered by NCHFP. What specific model of Presto?

3" of water in the canner (+ a dash of vinegar if you have hard water), heat to 180, place jars on top of the rack in the bottom, place on the lid and twist to lock in place, once lid lock pops up vent for 10 mins then set the weight for the 5-10-15 lbs called for and place the weight on its stem, when the weight begins to rock reduce the heat slightly and slowly until the rocking is a steady, continuous rocking motion and set your timer.

When pressure returns to zero remove the weight and leave the lid in place for an additional 10 mins and then remove it and lift out the jars.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave,
    I have a Presto 23 qt, model 0178107. I purchased the weighted gauge set and use that rather than relying on the dial gauge. I am over 1,000 ft altitude so I use 15 # pressure.
    I am confused about a couple of things, so maybe you can help. I apologize, this is going to be lengthy. :(

The first thing is finding the appropriate water level inside the canner. i know this has been discussed already, but I need some clarification!
    When I fill my canner with recommended 3" of water, this results in the water coming up to the very top of the filled jars when I place them in the canner. I thought this was a no-no for pc. Filling the canner with 2" of water brings it up to the 3 cup mark on the side of the jars. Filling the canner with 3 qt of water, as the manual describes, brings water level up to the 2 cup mark on the side of my jars.
    I could not find anywhere in the NCHFP where it mentions what final water level inside should be once canner is loaded. I thought it was NOT supposed to be up to the top of the jars, but cannot find a reference for this so maybe I am wrong?

Second confusing item for me is the air vent or cover lock. My manual calls it both. You have said to start timing your 10 min of venting once the lock engages, but mine doesn't do it, at least not in a reasonable amount of time. Thirty minutes of steam venting and it still doesn't pop up. Once I put the weight on the vent pipe, then it seals and pressurized fairly quickly. This does track with the NCHFP, step 5 of Using Pressure Canners, that after you vent 10 min you place the weighted guage on vent pipe and canner will pressurize during the next 3 to 10 min. So is this just a minor difference between our canners or do u think I am doing something wrong?

Third: I could use some guidelines as to how long it should take from the time the air vent pops up until the weighted guage starts rocking steadily, around 15 psi. It takes mine about 50 minutes. I keep the heat low and let it come up to pressure slowly since it sputters a lot around both the vent pipe and the air vent, and you had previously advised me to keep the temps low to moderate to try avoid this, as well as avoid siphoning if the adjustments in temp and pressure are made too quickly. So 50 min seems like a lonnnnggg time but is that in the ballpark?
    I got some siphoning on the last batch, about 1/4" fluid loss. I'd like to get this right. :)

I hope I didn't put ya to sleep! Thank you for your help!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Ok, first there is no designated level for after the jars are in. The size of jars will determine that.

3" of water (measure it and then mark your pot) unless doing meats or things with extra long processing times. Then increase it a bit.

If using 1/2 pint jars then sure they will likely be under the water and if you are stacking them in double layer they will definitely be underwater. That is fine. No way to avoid it. In the Presto 23 7 pint jars bring it up to about the shoulder, quarts about half way up.

In other words you are not supposed to intentionally submerge the jars by adding lots of excess water but if they are somewhat submerged by using the 3" of water to begin with it is no problem. Follow me?

Thirty minutes of steam venting and it still doesn't pop up.

Then there is something wrong. The lid lock may be jammed or warped in some way. It should jiggle and move freely in its slot. No way it should take 30 min to engage. Nor should the pot have to be up to pressure for it to engage.

I double checked mine just now so lift the lid off the pot and turn it upside down and the lid lock should fall right out. If it doesn't then make sure there isn't something caught in it like a lime buildup and oil it (WD 40 or silicone spray works well) and move it around until it will fall right out when the lid is inverted.

Once I lock on the lid it takes approx. 5-7 min for my lid lock to engage but that is on my electric stove at my temp setting of 9 out of 10 settings. No way to know for sure the time for you as it depends on the heat setting. So maybe you need to turn the heat up?

air vent or cover lock. My manual calls it both

The lid lock and the air vent are NOT the same thing. The vent is the pipe the weight/counterweight sits on.

Third: I could use some guidelines as to how long it should take from the time the air vent pops up until the weighted guage starts rocking steadily, around 15 psi. It takes mine about 50 minutes. I keep the heat low and let it come up to pressure slowly since it sputters a lot around both the vent pipe and the air vent, and you had previously advised me to keep the temps low to moderate to try avoid this, as well as avoid siphoning if the adjustments in temp and pressure are made too quickly. So 50 min seems like a lonnnnggg time but is that in the ballpark?

I guess it all depends on how one defines "low". 50 mins is wwaaaayyyy too long so apparently you have interpreted "low" to be much lower than I. :) Again it all depends on your stove and settings. Gas is faster than electric, low on gas in much lower than low on electric, adjustments on gas are much more rapid than on electrric, etc.

Some spitting is normal but a lot of spitting means the heat is set to high. But that doesn't mean you drop it a lot. It means you drop it a bit, like 1/2 a number on electric. On my stove with its 1-10 settings I use 6.5 to preheat, up to 9 once the lid is locked on. Once the lid lock pops and I vent for 10 mins then I turn down to 8 and put on the weight. Once it reaches pressure I slowly inch it down to 7 and leave it alone. But because that works on mine doesn't mean it will work for others, ok?

You will have to experiment on your stove - preferably without food in it - to find the best dial settings but shoot for approx. 10-12 mins between putting on the weight and it reaching pressure to jiggle. Longer than 15 mins means it means more heat.

This all comes with trial and error and experience and experimentation so it isn't documented in any how-to location simply because there are so many variables. Unfortunately it our individual stoves that are in charge. :)

Hope this helps.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave, that helps a lot! It sounds like I have a few issues to deal with.
    I appreciate your clarification on water levels!
    Sorry for the confusion in terminology. My manual has a 'parts' diagram and calls Part Number 3 the 'vent pipe', on which the weighted guage sits. Part Number 4 is labeled 'air vent/cover lock', which is kind of confusing, so I will just call it the lid lock like you do, from here on. I follow what you are saying and I am not getting the vent pipe and lid lock confused. :)

My lid lock dropped out freely when I inverted the cover. It is clean and nothing appears abnormal. I will try some WD-40 and see if that helps during use. Maybe there is a slight warp there that I am missing.

I get a lot of spitting from the vent pipe as well, so that's why I kept going to lower temps. I will go go back and do some more test runs with higher temps and see if I can get the kinks worked out. When I used higher temps and disregarded all the spitting, I didn't have any siphoning problems.

Thank you for the time guidelines. I realize there are many different factors at play, but your information is going to help a great deal.
    Thanks!!!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Welcome. Glad to help. :)

Dave