Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgithens

Hot plate for Canning advice

LGithens
11 years ago

First off, this is my first post. I have been a Garden Web fan and lurker for many years! Whenever I want housekeeping and gardening advice...I come here!

We moved to a farm I inherited 3 years ago. We remodeled the house and have an Electrolux hybrid cooktop. I also have become an avid gardener and canner over the past 3 years. Since our cooktop is hybrid, I can use my pressure cooker on the conventional side of the cooktop, so no problem.
However, a couple of months ago, our cooktop went out. We are having repair issues, and are contemplating cutting our losses and jumping over to a GE or Bosch cooktop. But they are full induction, which I actually like, except I just got myself a new pressure cooker last summer.

So, I've been searching and reading past posts, even though I've done it many times before when researching canning on my induction. I think the best option for me is to find a single burner that will do the job. I followed a link posted by another member to a cadco burner, but poking around found a 8 inch Broil King, says it's 1500 watts and has the old coil burner that I kind of miss. Would this be enough power to run my old little Mirror 12 qt or new Presto 16 qt? I probably WB more than I pressure can, but I definitely want to be able to pressure can. I just won't be using it non stop for several months. Just maybe once or twice a day for less than a month. If it looks like it'll do the job, I might go ahead and get it since we're still without a cooktop...ugh, been a challenge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broil King

Comments (2)

• cannond
    11 years ago

I just bought an induction cooktop for our retirement home (to which we won't be able to retire for about fifteen years!). I try to be there most weekends and it's where I've been doing most of my canning, on an old electric coil cooktop.

I was reluctant to replace it with the induction till I found some induction ready canning pans. Victorio makes one that is useful for both water bath and steam canning. I found a maslin pan on Ebay from England, again induction ready, and cheaper than the American made non-induction counterpart (cheaper even with shipping.)

Finally, I do have Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers, which work on induction, though I can't say whether they'd do for pressure canning. Is there no induction ready pressure canner out there?

Also, I have a little butane single burner that would work for you. They are listed on Amazon for about $22.00. The four pack butane fuel is about $9.00. With it you can easily regulate the heat, unlike electric burners. The butane lasts an awfully long time.

Deborah

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

You mentioned you had read through all the previous discussions here about this question so you probably already have the info on the important points to consider - canner weight tolerance (BWB canner is HEAVY), burner diameter compared to the pot diameter, countertop protection requirements, kilowatt draw and use cost, time required to bring up to heat, etc.

So for all those reasons I would strongly encourage you to consider investing in a propane gas burner instead if there is any way you can make it work - like moving the canning outdoors as many have.

It has been several years since I dug heavily into this issue but at the time there simply wasn't a 110 v electric burner available that would meet all of the canning issues. Propane and butane - yes. Electric - no, unless I was willing to put out the big bucks for a professional kitchen one - $200 and up which have the solid surface 12" burners and require 240 current (see model linked below).

As others have mentioned in the previous discussions, the durability of most 110v when used for canning is minimal and their life expectancy is very limited. So it is definitely an area where "you get what you pay for".

Consider propane.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NEMCO Pro Hotplate