Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lgithens

Hot plate for Canning advice

LGithens
11 years ago

First off, this is my first post. I have been a Garden Web fan and lurker for many years! Whenever I want housekeeping and gardening advice...I come here!

We moved to a farm I inherited 3 years ago. We remodeled the house and have an Electrolux hybrid cooktop. I also have become an avid gardener and canner over the past 3 years. Since our cooktop is hybrid, I can use my pressure cooker on the conventional side of the cooktop, so no problem.
However, a couple of months ago, our cooktop went out. We are having repair issues, and are contemplating cutting our losses and jumping over to a GE or Bosch cooktop. But they are full induction, which I actually like, except I just got myself a new pressure cooker last summer.

So, I've been searching and reading past posts, even though I've done it many times before when researching canning on my induction. I think the best option for me is to find a single burner that will do the job. I followed a link posted by another member to a cadco burner, but poking around found a 8 inch Broil King, says it's 1500 watts and has the old coil burner that I kind of miss. Would this be enough power to run my old little Mirror 12 qt or new Presto 16 qt? I probably WB more than I pressure can, but I definitely want to be able to pressure can. I just won't be using it non stop for several months. Just maybe once or twice a day for less than a month. If it looks like it'll do the job, I might go ahead and get it since we're still without a cooktop...ugh, been a challenge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Broil King

Comments (2)