Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oletimer

canning frozen chicken breast/tenders

oletimer
13 years ago

I have a bag of frozen chicken breast tenders, a couple of questions.

1. Do these need to be thawed out before canning?

2. I know I can raw pack these,one place said to add liquid

another place said do not add liquid, what is the best way

liquid or no liquid?

3. what do you like better, raw pack or hot pack?

Thank you

Comments (9)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Why bother canning them if they're already frozen? Freezing breaks down the cell walls, canning (even raw pack) will break down further, so they'll be mush by the time you actually cook them!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

1. Do these need to be thawed out before canning?

Yes, if using raw pack. Otherwise a fair amount of your processing time goes to just thawing them not killing the bacteria - it's purpose. They can still be cold just not frozen solid. If you are going to use hot pack they will thaw during the pre-cooking you do.

2. I know I can raw pack these,one place said to add liquid another place said do not add liquid, what is the best way liquid or no liquid?

It is a matter of personal taste. Fresh chicken will make quite a bit of broth in the jars if you go the "don't add liquid route". But frozen chicken makes much less broth so I prefer to use broth when canning frozen chickens. I find that frozen chickens holds up quite well to canning if the pieces aren't cut up small. With chicken tenders I would leave them as is size-wise.

Hot pack and raw pack both have their advantages and disadvantages. Overall I much prefer hot pack but many prefer raw pack. You need to try both and see which you prefer.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to can chicken

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

ajsmama writes: Freezing breaks down the cell walls...

Is there an optimal freezer temp setting? I kinda remember a 1960s fishing mag stating that -5ð Fahrenheit was the best for fish fillets. (uncooked)

• oletimer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for answering my questions.
    The reason I want to can the frozen chicken is first because I don't have a lot of room in the freezer, second, I don't like to keep frozen chicken long in the freezer, it seems to get freezer burn before I get it used up, even when it is wrapped good, and third, I like the idea of having it all cooked and ready to use in a quick meal, sandwiches, salads, taco's etc. Anyway thanks again.

• jonas302
    13 years ago

John the coldest you can get your freezer is best and foods keep much longer also if your freezing large amounts of foods its important to spread them out so the freeze quickly Those chickens were originally flash froze at subzero temp and sometimes sprayed with water to help seal them

Home canned chicken would be a great convenience and save a lot of money over the tiny cans in the store I do most meats raw pack but have never tried frozen chicken the processing times are the same so it might be a good idea to try both see what you like personally

Here is a link that might be useful: nchfp chicken

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

Thaw them out first, then process in either broth, water or plain. I prefer broth, personally.
    That is correct, as cold as you can get the freezer the better. It needs to be at least 0 degrees.
    If your food is getting freezer burn, is that due to a self defrosting freezer ? I got a manual defrost one again. They are getting hard to find new around here !

• lionchow
    11 years ago

New at canning, and this may be a stupid question, but can that frozen canned chicken be stored on a shelf, and what would the shelf life be?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Chicken that was frozen, then thawed and properly canned following the guidelines can be stored on the shelf just like all home canned goods. The shelf life is theoretically unlimited but 2-3 years is a frequently recommended average.

Dave

• kriswrite
    11 years ago

Canning frozen chicken breasts is a WONDERFUL idea; I do it all the time :) That way I can just pull out a can and reheat the chicken - no thawing or cooking. And honestly, the chicken is more tender and tasty than any cooking method I've tried, including boiling in broth. Home canned chicken is perhaps even better than Costco's high quality canned chicken.

You should let the chicken thaw a little, then cut it up; I use one to one-half inch cubish-pieces. Let it thaw. No water or broth is needed. Instructions here: http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2012/02/canning-chicken.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Chicken Instructions

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES