Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kriswrite

Is this recipe safe? Chicken Pot Pie Filling

kriswrite
9 years ago

I like the idea of canning chicken pot pie filling, but I'm wondering if this raw pack method is safe?

http://homesteadlifestyle.com/canning-chicken-pot-pie-base/

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Pot Pie Filling

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Use the recipe directly from sbcanning.com instead. While it isn't in keeping with the NCHFP guidelines for raw packing chicken it is probably safe to use. Make sure the jars are not overfilled with solids - enough liquid to surround each piece is required.

Personally if I were going to make it I would cook the chicken some first and use a hot pack for both the chicken and the vegetables. Better flavor incorporation, longer shelf life, and increased degree of safety.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Pot Pie Base

• kriswrite
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Dave!

• HU-797223
    7 years ago

Just want to double check, Dave are you saying that the Chicken Pot Pie Base you mentioned above would probably be safe to can? Could you use chicken broth instead of water? Thanks

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Yes, as it is written and with care to use the full processing time called for which is the exact same time for canning chicken and/or canning mixed vegetables. Thickeners are only added AFTER the jar is opened.

Use chicken broth? Not with the raw pack chicken called for in the recipe. That would change the density and the pH both plus add some fats since the chicken will be making its own broth in the water while it is being processed.

When canning chicken, chicken broth it is only allowed when the chicken and broth are cooked first and then HOT packed. If you tried to do it with raw pack you'd have to increase the processing time to make up for the difference in starting temp.

Dave

• HU-797223
    7 years ago

Thank you, that answers my questions nicely,

• pqtex
    7 years ago

Regarding adding hot water or hot broth to raw pack chicken: It is my understanding that the NCHFP has changed the guidelines to allow the addition of liquid to raw pack, but has not yet updated the website. Also, according to the Ball Blue Book, 37th edition (2014). Page 101, canning Chicken, duck, goose, turkey, or game bird: "Raw Pack--pack raw meat into a hot jar, leaving 1 inch
    headspace....Ladle hot water or hot broth over meat, leaving 1-inch
    headspace." If it's in the Ball Blue Book, it's good enough for me! I love my canned chicken. The canned chicken pot pie sounds interesting.

• eddie1025
    7 years ago

I'm curious about the recipes on sbcanning.com. Are they more credible because of the credentials of the person making the website? I'd love to try some of the recipes (sauerbraten!) but I'm hesitant since some of they vary quite a bit from the NCHFP recipes.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

sbcanning.com has some recipes that have been vetted as safe but it also has several that are not and past discussions here about the site covers many of them.

Rather than giving the site as a whole the USDA seal of approval you have to evaluate each recipe individually. I don't see any issues with the sauerbraten recipe as it adds vinegar and calls for the same processing times as NCHFP directions do. It is basically flavored meat with the thickening added after the jars are opened.

pqtex - I agree with what you are saying but in this particular case we also have to take the mixed raw packed vegetables into consideration.

Dave