Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misskimmie

what i put up 2015

misskimmie
9 years ago

Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so I'll jump in.
Today I canned 9 jelly jars, 2 pints and 2 small jars of brandied cranberry sauce.

What did you can this year?

Comments (65)

• calliope
    9 years ago

Had lots of apple and grape juice I'd canned from our own trees, and red raspberries in the freezer, so made some jellies. Ditto a run of marmalade from the oranges on sale this winter. Bottled up some quarts of chicken stock from the backs we cut off a mess of chicken I got super cheap. Been using down a mess of pumpkin and berries from the freezer to make room for next year's harvest by making pies and freezing them too. Probably done a few dozen already. Freezer slaw as well. Found a great one and used up the mess I'd frozen from my garden produce, so been making it from store bought cabbage and carrots when they go on sale. Gosh, when I read the title I was thinking "not much" but guess I HAVE BEEN putting a bunch of stuff by in the last month!

• bcskye
    9 years ago

I'm a sloth! I have lots of frozen and fresh stuff to make up but haven't yet. I've got that extra turkey from Christmas to thaw and cook so guess I'll be following the rest of you on the soup and canned turkey there.

• WazzyWaz
    9 years ago

I'm also trying to clear out the freezer with remaining produce from last year's garden (and the extra turkey too). Since the beginning of the year, I've processed:

7 quarts of turkey stock
    2 half-pints of strawberry jelly
    6 half-pints of blood orange jelly with whole strawberries

I've also frozen a quart of blood orange pectin and brewed a 5-gallon batch of West Coast IPA that used Cascade and Chinook hops that had been harvested, dried, and frozen.

• dellr
    9 years ago

5 pints hamburger, 17 jelly jars of celery for soups, 14 pints of celery, 13 pints of carrots, 1 jelly jar of beef tips, 6 pint jars of beef tips, 2 quart jars of beef tips, 16 pints of corn chowder, 6 pints of breakfast potatoes (like perkins sells), 6 quarts of chicken, 4 quarts of chicken broth, 1 quart of beef broth, 3 quarts of pork loin pieces.

• dellr
    9 years ago

That was this year so far, LAST year, I did a LOT

75 quarts of stewed tomatoes, 70 quarts of potatoes, 50 pints of pickled beets, 20 pints of canned beets, 10 quarts of pickled beets, 6 pints of apple butter, 25 jelly jars of celery, 7 4 oz jars of taco sauce, 14 4 oz jars of chopped peppers, 25 pint jars of bell pepper strips, 40 pints of carrots, 55 pints of corn, 7 jelly jars of hot dog sauce, 10 pints of salsa, 12 jelly jars of pizza sauce, 12 quarts of spaghetti sauce, and i'm sure there was more but I can't think of the top of my head.

oh yeah, a batch of boston baked beans (ball blue book), one pound dry, red beans (according to ball blue book), one pound dry pinto beans (according to ball again), 5 quarts of onions,

one pint bell pepper seeds (dried and stored), one pint of radish seeds (dried and stored), honeydew seeds, cantaloupe seeds, tomato seeds, lettuce seeds.

• msmarieh
    9 years ago

Since my last update...

8 pints and 1 half pint of black beans
    4 quarts and 9 pints of beef stock

• dellr
    9 years ago

update:
    canner's currently full of 5 quarts of chicken noodle soup (minus noodles), 2 quarts of chicken pieces, and 2 jelly jars of portabella mushrooms. I'm going to freeze the quart of beef stock (no room in this canner load and i don't want 2 loads)

the canner's still coming up to temp right now, cold water still.

• Seasyde
    9 years ago

Finally dealt with the turkey carcass thats been in the freezer since Thanksgiving. Have 7 qts. turkey stock processing now. I'm poking around my recipes looking for something else to can. Dragging the pressure canner out is kind of a hassle and I'd like to make more use of it while its out.

• Seasyde
    9 years ago

5 1/2 pints chicken stock.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Marmalade season came and went in January. Nothing more now until the fruit comes in.

• luvncannin
    8 years ago

Annie that is beautiful!

• Lisa Mann
    8 years ago

Love the pantry!

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

Did 6 half pints of the Small Batch Canning recipe for Mango Chutney. Yum!

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

Just added another 6 half pints of the Mango Chutney from the Ball canning book.

• matthias_lang
    8 years ago

two batches gooseberry jelly, one with apple, one with plum. All the fruit had been in the freezer.

27 pints lambsquarters canned

3 liters radishes fermented

1.5 quarts cukes fermented with garlic and dill

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

Wow, this thread was really far down. Everybody must be too busy canning to post!

Anyway, just started our big summer canning projects. First up were 26 pints of peaches. As I type this the tomatoes/carrots/garlic/onions are roasting for Katie Cs roasted tomato garlic soup.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

After a battle of epic proportions with the tomato worms, I still have no ripe tomatoes to can, but I've managed to get a couple to eat. Instead, I've been dealing with other items, so it's good, it's given me a bit of time. So far, it's been:

31 quarts of Blue Lake green beans

33 quarts of Pencil Pod yellow wax beans

31 quarts of Pink Half Runner Beans

18 pints of golden beets

4 pints of albino beets

7 pints of pickled beets

11 pints of Kosher Dill pickles

12 pints of Polish Dill pickles

32 pints of Bread and Butter Pickles

7 pints of Zesty Zucchini Relish

13 pints of sweet relish

6 pints of tomatillos for enchilada sauce

10 pints of 3 bean salad

11 pints of corn in the freezer

3 batches of Zucchini Candy

I have Linda Lou's 10 day sweet pickles on their last day, and they'll go into jars tomorrow, and I have a dehydrator full of Zucchini Candy working all night, it'll be done tomorrow too. These are the October beans, aren't they pretty?

Next week I have a row of Mayacoba beans that'll need picking and shelling too, and I have kale, collards and carrots still to can, along with peppers to dry. After that apples and pears, the peach crop was pretty much destroyed this year, so probably none of those. And maybe tomatoes....

Do the 14 broiler chickens and 20 pounds of home smoked Canadian Bacon count?

Annie

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

Wow, Annie - you've been busy! Have you managed to fill up that beautiful shelving you have?

I've completed 13 pints roasted tomato/garlic soup and 3 and a half pints of pickled okra. Starting in on crushed tomatoes

• annie1992
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's filling up, seasyde. Today I did 14 quarts and 8 pints of kale, and 11 pints of Linda Lou's sweet pickles. Tomorrow? Who knows? (grin)

Mathias, I eat lambsquarter in salad, it tastes much like spinach, but I've never thought to can it. Hmmm. That might be a good option on my "bad" greens years. This year, though, I've got beet greens, kale and collards and they are all growing like crazy, so I'm set on those! Thanks for the idea, though.

Annie

• KSprairie
    8 years ago

Annie, I have a couple of questions for you... do you use the NCHFP recipe for pc'ing 'spinach and other greens'? i haven't canned greens before. I thought with a canning time of 90 min for quarts that they would resemble mush! How do you fix them when you serve them? Oh, and I have to say that you are amazing! When I get a little stressed wondering how I am going to keep up with my garden and everything else going on in our lives, I read some of these posts. There are many of you who put up tremendous amounts of food and it is a great encouragement to me! Thanks! :)

• annie1992
    8 years ago

ksprairie, I do use the guidelines used by the NCHFP. 70 minutes for pints, 90 for quarts, with the 10 minute venting process plus cool down time. It takes about 2 hours to do a "batch" of greens, so it IS time consuming, and that's without the cleaning, washing and 3 minute blanching. They are no more mushy than canned spinach or greens from the store, though, and I like greens "well done", I'm not one of those stir-fry crisp/tender people when it comes to greens, LOL.

I usually just dump them into a pan with the liquid, boil the requisite 10 minutes with some salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil or butter (or even better, bacon fat, LOL). My southern husband likes me to add a tablespoon or so of sugar and even the grandkids will eat them if I do that. I've been thinking about a bacon and maple syrup flavor...

I use them to make "spinach" dip, both the regular and the hot artichoke variety, I make creamed greens, I add them to soup and to quiche and my hubs will even put them in an omelette along with a generous amount of sriracha.

I don't think I'm really amazing, although I think I'm a bit odd when I'm taking beans out of the canner at 2:45 am! I just like to can, when I was still working full time I used to take vacation days to can, and people thought that was very weird. It probably was. (grin)

So, just keep plugging along, and think how good that's going to taste about February. It does seem that life gets busy, then suddenly, it gets busier, and that's about the time someone decides to visit!

Annie

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Like Annie I don't and won't have enough tomatoes to can anything this year. My problem was not tomato worms, but the deer severely pruned my plants when they were putting on the first flush and the plants have never really recovered. Still getting a few small ones for fresh eating and my one Super Sweet 100 cherry is putting out a good 3 pints every other day. Good thing I still have about 20 pints of Annie's Salsa left from last season.

I have managed to can a few things this year so far though.

12 - 1.5 pints jars of pickled asparagus

12 quarts of dill spears

15 quarts of whole dill pickles

9 pints of dill gherkins

12 pints and counting of dilly beans

• KSprairie
    8 years ago

Thanks Annie! :) the greens sound great and that's enough encouragement for me to give canning them a try! Company just left today, so now it's back to the garden!

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

I've done 16 pints crushed tomatoes, 2 quarts dill pickles, and 19 pints pickled jalapenos in the last couple of days.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

I'm trying to make freezer room for beef, pork and chicken, so I got out the big electric roaster and made chicken stock, 7 quarts of it on the pantry shelf canned and a bit more than half a quart in the fridge for immediate use. Still no tomatoes, but I did can another 6 pints of tomatillos. I kept the biggest ones for fried green tomatillos, I've decided I like those as well as I like fried green tomatoes, yum.

Annie

• calliope
    8 years ago

That sounds like my routine and made me chuckle. Lots of my older or odd assortment of freezer meats end up canned for broth to make way for the garden produce one can't can well and lots of last year's berries end up made into juice or jellies. This year has balanced out well, so I haven't had to be a canning fool. It's not unusual for me to go through three hundred canning lids in a season, but the garden has produced mostly what I needed to restock the pantry, other than a total freeze out of peaches from the wicked winter. The apple trees have more than made up for it and I've been picking and canning them piecemeal working salsas and the grape harvest in between. My canning patch of beans I do late and I need to put up plenty this year, used the last jar just as they were coming on in the garden. Enough pickles and tomato products from last year to skip that, other than salsas. I did break down and get a second freezer after the first one had a thaw when it stuck in defrost. It is now primarily for keeping breads and flour products fresh, suet cakes for birds and less valuable items than meat. argh.

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

Added 5 half pints of bruschetta (Ellie Topp recipe) and 3 1/2 qts chicken stock.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Still no tomatoes, I think this season is a wash on that, but we made up for it in beans, I just put another 15 pounds of Mayacoba beans, shelled, into the freezer.

Then I canned 14 quarts of chili, trying to get some ground beef out of the freezer before we put this year's beef in.

Calliope, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I freeze berries in the summer to make jam in the winter, as it's nicer to stand over a jam pot in January than it is in July. I garden in July, then can in January, LOL, it works for me.

Annie

• Judy
    8 years ago

Freezing Food Saver bags each filled with 1 quart of raspberries daily to be used during the year for smoothies. Last year we froze enough to last the year, that's what we're shooting for this year also. We have roughly 3 more weeks of this berry madness.

7 pints of raspberry jam

Froze 6 quarts of sliced peaches

Apples are waiting

Just starting tomatoes, have 21 quarts of tomato puree done so far and 20+ more to go.

Made 7 pints of Annie's Salsa, yum!

7 pints of pickled beets, double yum!

26 half pints of pickled beens

2 quarts of dried sage

2 quarts of parsley infused cider vinegar

2 quarts of cayenne infused cider vinegar

Froze 4 quarts of steamed eggplant to be used in Thai dishes

6 quarts of refrigerator pickles

Froze 4 quarts of frozen minestrone

Froze 2 quarts of tomato basil sauce for pasta

Froze 4 quarts of cut corn

Husband tells me he has 3 bushels of onions for the root cellar and approximately 350 heads of garlic.

He hasn't started picking the potatoes yet but I suspect we'll have around 100 lbs again.

So much more left to do!

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Judy, I just dug the first "test" hills of potatoes today, they seem to have done remarkably well. I'm thinking of canning the base for some potato/leek soup, since the leeks were also happy with the weather this year.

I also have some huge zucchini, I'm thinking maybe some of that zucchini pineapple, although I've never tried it before.

Annie

• moonchild77
    8 years ago

So far for the year I've only put up 24 pints of pinto beans, 8 pints of black beans, 16 pints of black eyed peas, and last night 19 pints of white bean/pinto bean chicken chili, tonight is pork loin canned for pulled pork sandwiches, trying to can things my fiancee' can take for easy lunches at work since he is spending too much money at the machine and won't eat cold cut sandwiches much or leftovers after one day so I no longer cook enough for much leftovers.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Finally, tomatoes! I have a pan of cherry tomatoes slow roasting in the oven for bruschetta, but I won't be canning that, although I might freeze some. I made 13 pints and a half pint of my salsa, and have a couple of canners worth of tomatoes out on the picnic table, it's supposed to rain tomorrow and I don't want them to split, so they'll ripen for a couple of days and then it's into the canner.

Annie

• annie1992
    8 years ago

I'm happy to report that I canned 8 quarts and one pint of crushed tomatoes tonight. I still have a batch ripening, not quite ready. Of course, I have a bunch ripening in the garden and it's raining like crazy.

Since I'm the last poster, it's silly to start ANOTHER reply, so I'll add the 11 pints of zucchini pineapple I made, plus two batches of Linda Lou's zucchini candy. And now I'm DONE with zucchini, I can move on to the two 5 gallon buckets of green beans waiting in the garage for me.

Annie

• afeisty1
    8 years ago

I haven't done as much canning as I've done previously due to being the primary caregiver to 3 elderly...99, 96 and 95. Between liquidating/selling their homes/estates and managing their finances, medications, working full time, etc., etc., etc., I've tried to do more small batch projects. I haven't drug out the pressure canner yet--that will likely be used for my winter projects. I've frozen a good dozen or so jars of chicken and beef stock, and 4 gallon bags of blueberries. I too, would typically use vacation days for big canning marathons but these days they are used for running to doctor appointments and such.

4 half pints Asian Plum Sauce

4 half pints Thai Chili Sauce

3 half pints kiwi conserve (granddaughter wanted to try kiwi and ended up not liking them so I got the canning book out to see what I could do with them. It's quite tasty!

4 pints strawberry syrup

10 half pints blueberries

4 quarts blueberry pie filling

2 pints blueberry simple syrup (for adding to lemonade)

various jars of sugar syrup to add to tea (I make this to fill up spots in the canner)

6 quarts roasted roma tomatoes

10 pints bruschetta in a jar

10 half pints roasted red pepper spread

• annie1992
    8 years ago

afeisty1, I can empathize, I am conservator for my stepmother.

Added to my canning list is 11 quarts of green beans and 8 quarts of yellow wax beans. Still no frost in sight here in Northern Michigan, which is highly unusual.

Once again, since I'm the last poster, I'm editing to add the 11 half pints of pickled mixed peppers I made today from "Small Batch Preserving". It turned out to be not such a small batch, though, LOL.

Annie

• moonchild77
    8 years ago

My latest canning projects have been 18 pints of vegetable beef soup, 16 pints of 16 bean soup with sausage, 4 pints of pork tenderloin chunks, and 32 pints of Annie's salsa. So many more projects planned too and 30 lbs of blueberries and 30 lbs of grapes in the freezer.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

So everyone is finished except me? Today I canned 25 quarts and 4 pints of sauerkraut, and dehydrated 9 trays of sliced leeks, enough for 6 quart jars. I also froze another 12 cups in individual bags and I still have Purple Dragon and Yellowstone carrots, a 5 gallon bucket of each. I also have bushels of apples waiting to be pressed into cider and frozen, with some scheduled to become apple butter and apple jelly, so I've got work ahead of me.

Annie

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    8 years ago

Not quite finished here Annie. I dehydrated 2 trays of sliced garlic cloves that were rejected from my planting stock. I also pickled 3 half pints of some Rocambole type garlic some of which was showing signs that they were starting to go south.

Still have a round of chopping and freezing peppers when our first frost threatens. Nothing below 38 predicted on the 14 day forecast so it may still be awhile. Lastly will be harvesting and processing the Horseradish sometime in November after a freeze or 2 but before the ground freezes solid like I had to deal with last year.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Jack, the weather is like that here too, one day next week it's projected to freeze, but night time temps are mostly in the 40s. Very strange, if I'd have covered stuff after our frost last week, I'd still be picking peppers and zucchini, here in Northern Michigan!

Instead I canned carrots. 9 pints of Purple Dragon, 8 pints of Yellowstone and 6 pints of Yellowstone canned with orange juice and brown sugar. One pint of the purple didn't seal and one pint of the yellow broke in the canner, my first "casualties" of the season.

The grandkids are tickled with those purple carrots, they called them "zombie carrots", LOL.

I have garlic to plant and some to dehydrate too, but first I need to finish pressing cider and also get some apple butter started.

Annie

• spartanapples
    8 years ago

Big year on my fruit trees. So plenty of fruit. Canned up so far:

14 quarts-pears

8 quarts -grape juice

11-jars grape jelly

4-pints prune plums

7-jars black raspberry jelly

8-quarts dill pickles

9-pints bread & butter pickles

For freezing I did 3 quarts applesauce so far. I hope to turn 1-2 bushels of apples into sauce yet as time permits.

• calliope
    8 years ago

No, not quite. I'm never quite finished putting up stuff. I pulled the summer garden a week or two ago, and have a fall/winter garden in here in S.E. Ohio. The weather looks promising if we get our El Nino. This was not a major canning year for me compared to what I have done, because I had some jarred stuff left in the pantry from last year I want to use up soon. A run is a canner full, btw. I canned six or seven runs of salsa in pints, three or four quart runs of green beans, four or five runs of jelly, two runs of apple butter, two runs of apple sauce, a couple runs of tomatoes, several runs of apple and grape juice. I've had the dehydrator running continuously, however. Garlic, green peppers, carrots, mixed vegetable soup mixes, onions onions and more onions, celery, apples. The new freezer got stocked with apple slices, tomatoes, dozens of bags of red and also black raspberries, cole slaw. The seed for next year's garden is cured and packed......lima beans, green beans, hot and green peppers, tomatoes. We had a bounty apple year as well. Bushel after bushel got scooped up in the front end loader and put at the woods edges we could not use or give away for the wildlings. Not decent nut crop this year and the last two years a miserable winter took our peach crops.

• matthias_lang
    8 years ago

Since my last post:

1 L fermented radishes

quart fermented burdock root

3.75 L fermented sweet peppers

1 gallon ginger ale

apple jelly (no count)

peaches in pints (started with 157 pounds, don't remember the jar count)

Romano beans in pints (no count)

• Judy
    8 years ago

Annie I'm not done either!!! We still have approximately 10 more bushells of apples to work with!! Oh and we still have a lot of kale and sage to dry. We haven't dug up the potatoes yet. Husband is planting the garlic today. At the suggestion of my daughter, I started a blog about all this if you're interested, www.alifewellplanted.com.

I'm running out of room and I still need to put up several more jars of applesauce, apple rings, apple butter, dried kale and sage. This has been the most bountiful season that I can remember!

DEHYDRATED:

10 quarts of anaheim chili peppers

2 more quarts of sage

10 quarts of cayenne peppers

10 quarts of apple rings

1 quart of kale

1 quart of green pepper squares

CANNED BWB:

7 more pints of raspberry jam

8 more pints of pickled beets

9 pints of raspberry-apple sauce

8 pints of plain apple sauce

8 pints of spiced apples sauce

9 more pints of Annie's Salsa

20 more quarts of tomato puree

FROZE:

6 half pints of baba ganoush

5 packages of sliced, blanched eggplant for parmesan

4 more quarts of steamed eggplant for thai dishes

8 pints of roasted red peppers

6 pints of chili

2 pints of minestrone

2 quarts of okra stew

20 bags of apples for pies

Lost count of how many bags of raspberries we froze

STORED:

1 gallon chestnuts

1/2 gallon black walnuts

This freezer was a gift from our neighbor - we use it for the fruits, berries and veggies only. We have another freezer for my husband's chicken, venison, guinnea hens, etc.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

Judy, I also have two large freezers, plus the freezer in the kitchen and the one in the porch fridge. I try to just keep things separate, but somehow they get all mixed up. The big chest freezer is SUPPOSED to be for beef and pork, the upright for chicken, fish and venison and berries and fruits, the kitchen freezer for things like butter, homemade bread crumbs, etc., and the one on the porch for apple cider and "miscellaneous". Yeah, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be. (grin)

I just finished 3 pints, 5 of the 12 ounce jars and 8 half pints of apple butter. All simmered in my big 18 quart Nesco roaster, then canned in one big canner load. I'll probably do one more batch like that and then be done with apple butter for the year. Then I'll just dehydrate apples, but first I have the air out the dehydrator, last thing I did was the leeks!

This is my garage, we'll press cider on Sunday:

My pantry is nearly full, and I've still got apple jelly to can, and berries in the freezer to turn into jam and I haven't even started soup!

Annie

• Seasyde
    8 years ago

I'm not done yet either, just taking a little break. I planted too many tomatoes (and probably will again next year!). As they ripen too quickly for us to keep up with i'm putting them in the freezer. When all is said and done I'll make one big batch of mixed tomato sauce and can that. Our source for apples seems to have fallen through this year, so when I see a good deal on apples I'll get those and make apple sauce then.

• annie1992
    8 years ago

seasyde, I'm sorry you are not closer. My trees still have apples on them, they won't go to waste, they'll become food for the cows and horses, but I can't even get people to take them, everyone's trees are full! Of course, 3 of mine are Red Delicious, which are mostly only good for eating fresh right off the tree and for cider or juice.

Annie

• moonchild77
    8 years ago

18 pints chicken soup and broth, 11 pints of pork tenderloin, 5 pints of pork broth, 8 pints split pea soup, 8 pints potato soup, 18 pints and 3 quarts spaghetti sauce, filling it up our tiny pantry a little at a time!

• annie1992
    8 years ago

I've now added 15 quarts and 2 gallons of home pressed cider to the freezer, and I have apples left. As of 9:30 pm, I canned another 12 jars of apple jelly, but the rest will have to be pressed then canned for juice, because I can't spare that much freezer room. I still have pie filling and apple slices left from last year, but maybe I'll make some boiled cider syrup...

Annie

• moonchild77
    8 years ago

9 pints of asparagus, 17 pints of sweet and sour sauce, and 5 half pints of baby portabella mushrooms added and 12 half pints of apple jelly with spices in it from apple juice from the store I had.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County