Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting presser canner to rocker gauge?

Posted by kriswrite zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 14:51

I have a Presto pressure canner with a dial gauge; I'd like a rocker instead. Is this what I need? I've never actually seen a rocker gauge, so pardon my ignorance!

http://www.gopresto.com/products/products.php?stock=50332

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting presser canner to rocker gauge?

Yes, that is the part number for the 3 piece weight set. It replaces the 15 lb counter-weight currently on your canner. Depending on how old your canner (does it have the counter-weight or a petcock?)is you may also need to replace the valve stem the weight sits on.

I also suggest you buy the part from one of the other suppliers than Presto as they seem to have difficulty dealing with orders for it and create hassles for the buyer. Amazon.com offers it as does other suppliers.

Dave

o

Thank you! The canner is about a year old. Do you think I'd need to replace the valve stem?

o

NO, not on one that new. It is only a problem when converting the decades old ones that came with a petcock on them instead of the removable counterweight.

Dave

o

Thanks so much, Dave. I really appreciate the help.

o

Ordered mine from the local Ace Hardware (Ace # 64375), and used it last week on an OLD 21 qt Presto canner for green beans.

Worked beautifully! Took the pressure right up to 11# on the gauge and worked like a champ.

No messing with the gas stove and watching the pressure go up/down/up... leading to siphoning. What a great change!

I just went to the stotre, placed the order and they called me when it came in. No shipping charge.

Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto 3 piece weight on Ace website

o

I personally believe that anyone living at 1000 feet or less and owns a Presto canner has no concerns about their own time to not use the 3 piece weight set.
Good advise on NOT calling Presto. Their representatives do not, and have not even seen, most of the products they talk to you about (I have asked them).
Presto apparently doesn't even walk them through a room of products and rudimentary explain what their products do. Calling Presto Customer Service in the US is little difference from calling a "call center" in India or Serbia.
So sad that unpaid folks such as many of us have the answers that Presto Customer Service has no idea about.
Jim in So Calif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here