Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
originalentwife

Picklemeister?

entwife
14 years ago

Does anyone have a picklemeister for making pickles and sauerkraut? I've tried to make sauerkraut in a glass crock and mason jars, and I'm never happy with the results. I'm considering getting the picklemeister, and am wondering if anyone has one and can offer some comments?

Thanks in advance...

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Here is a link to a couple of earlier discussions on them here.

I've tried to make sauerkraut in a glass crock and mason jars, and I'm never happy with the results.

Since I have been making kraut in glass jars for years I'm just curious as to what the problem with your results was?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Picklemeister discussions

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'm with Dave. It would help to know more specifically what the problem was.

If you're not satisfied with sauerkraut in glass jars, I doubt you'd be happy with the picklemeister either. It's the root cause that needs to be resolved.

Carol

• entwife
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had a hard time keeping the cabbage submerged. I tried a plastic bag filled with water, and it just slipped and slid all over the place and the cabbage still rose up and got moldy. It was a messy, frustrating experience. And the picklemeiters can be used for pickles and kimchee also, which is appealing. I know these things can all be made without a picklemeister, but i'm trying to make the process a bit easier and more productive than my efforts have been thus far!

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

I had a hard time keeping the cabbage submerged. I tried a plastic bag filled with water, and it just slipped and slid all over the place and the cabbage still rose up and got moldy.

Ahhh that's just a logistics problem and easy to solve. ;) Over-filled jar and not packed hard enough. Tell us the size of the jar you are using and the diameter of the neck opening and I can tell you how to easily seal it and keep the kraut submerged.

But while making your decision keep in mind that the Picklemiester isn't all that easy to deal with either. True it appears to have advantages but appearances can be misleading and the directions that come with it are misleading as to time needed for fermenting - much longer is actually needed - and it too can get messy.

Dave

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Did you just use the bag? Many picklers prefer to use a plate or even a sterilized rock or other weight to keep the veggies under the brine.

I have an old round cake plate which fits my canister perfectly. I put that in and then rest the brine bag on top of that.

Also, instead of filling the bag with water fill it with brine. Then, if due to some mischance the bag breaks or leaks, the liquid won't dilute the brine in the canister and ruin your batch.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    14 years ago

I have a German Harsch crock for making kraut. I admit to using it only the one time though. Here's the thread in case you are curious.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0804261512428.html

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

Right now,I have my 1st batch of sauerkraut burping away in my Harsch crock. I saw it and had to have it. You know how that goes.
    I used a 5 gal food grade bucket with an air lock in the past, it worked just fine. I found that Lehman Hardware in Kidron, OH has the Harsch crocks for about 1/2 of what I paid online. I live about 1/2 hr from Kidron and was kicking myself all the way home.

Luke

• rolpittman_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

The Picklemeister is too expensive. For just a couple of dollars you can get the airlock with a rubber stopper from a brewing supply house online. Use a glass or plastic jar with a round hole cut in the lid to insert the rubber stopper and airlock. A small heavy saucer (pick up one for $.25 at Goodwill) with a weight works fine to keep the cabbage submerged. Why pay $20 for something that can be easily duplicated for less than $5? If you are pickling and making sauerkraut from the garden, you will need a half-dozen of the these gallon jars working simultaneously. You can outfit a dozen fermenting jars for what you pay for one Picklemeister. Need instructions? Get the book Making Sauerkraut and Pickling Vegetables at Home by Annelies Schoeneck.

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

A large Tupperware type plastic container, maybe two or three gallons, tall with nearly straight sides, is what I use (I have several). I have a plate that just fits down inside the container, and after filling with pickles or kraut, I place the clean plate down over it with a quart canning jar filled with water weighing it down. It is easy to skim, easy to add brine(if necessary), and it works great.