Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carter_home

Pressure canning low acid peppers, question

carter.home
10 years ago

I really have tried to find an answer to this, but can someone tell me if this low-acid recipe is safe to pressure can for 35 minutes at 11lbs alt 300ft.
Well blended
1 oz dried chipotle chili
1 cup water
1 tbl vinegar

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Could you tell us the source of the recipe? That is often a good indication of the safety.

Given the very small proportions then I'd have to guess that it isn't intended to be canned but is only for fresh use and/or refrigerator storage only. Plus doing it in such small amounts wouldn't be either time or energy efficient.

That said, given the approved instructions for pressure canning peppers (linked below) it would probably be safe given it is predominately just water.

If some sort of hot pepper sauce is what you are after then there are much better instructions available. Just put 'hot pepper sauce' into the search bar for several previous discussions on recipes.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning peppers

• carter.home
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave, This is my own recipe. I reduced it to a single 8oz jar. I did see the NCHFP process you listed and thought it was fine, but seeing the never can pureed vegetables got me thinking it may be a problem.
    6 cups water
    5.5 oz dried chipotles
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    Also all of the other recipes I have found either contain tomatoes or a lot more vinegar than I want to use.

This post was edited by carter.home on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 18:27

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You aren't actually pureeing them since they are dried, right. They will just be crushed particles suspended in water so there should be no heat penetration problems, even as they rehydrate, like there would be with purees. So while you couldn't BWB process it, using the processing with the given PC processing times shouldn't be any problems that I can see.

Dave

• carter.home
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right. I was thinking this was a purée. I am not a cook. The consistancy is very thin. I process a 2 qt batch on a vitamix blender for about 3 minutes there are no visible chunks when complete. So would I need to bring this to boil before adding to the jars since there would be no penetration problems?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah safety and processing times are always based on the assumption of hot contents going into the jars and hot jars going into the canner.

Otherwise a large part of the processing time would be used just heating up the contents from room temp.

Dave

• readinglady
    10 years ago

So basically you're reconstituting the chipotle flakes? Is there an advantage to canning as opposed to making for short-term use on an as-needed basis?

Carol

• carter.home
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Dave, thanks for clearing it up for me. You have been a lot of help.

@Carol, I have a lot of friends and family that have been eating this stuff up, and buying it from me. If I can make a few gallons at once and get them canned. I won't have to keep them refrigerated any more. Also I may see about selling them at our local farmers' market.