Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's Hoppin' John Day

Posted by digdirt 6 -7 AR (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 15:21

For good luck all year a southern tradition is Hoppin' John should be served today. Black-eyed peas, ham, onions, red pepper flakes, celery, etc. served with rice.

If you aren't familiar with it I have linked one of the many recipes below. Using already canned black-eyed peas speeds up the preparation of course. :)

Dave

PS: also good when made with hamburger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoppin' John recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's Hoppin' John Day

Interesting, I was not aware of this tradition. Hoppin' John is one of my favorite dishes, and it is what got me into growing my own cowpeas. Very few people up here have ever heard of cowpeas, they were never a traditional staple food in this area. I love them and use them for their own dishes as well as the soups and stews that I use my homegrown dry beans in.

Perhaps it may be considered sacrilege (fusion?) to southern folks but another favorite of mine is a pan of chicken cheese enchiladas smothered in vegetarian hoppin' john made with lots of chopped red and green sweet and mildly hot peppers. What do I know about authentic southern cuisine, I am a lifelong Minnesotan of 100 percent German ancestry who grew up in a meat and potatoes world (not that I am complaining). ;-)

BTW Dave, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your involvement in so many forums on GardenWeb. I enjoy reading your comments related to all the various subjects - you offer much knowledge and guidance put forth in a friendly, informative, and non-confrontational manner. I am certain your help is much appreciated even though folks often might not make the effort to say so.

Happy 2014.
-Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here