Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsandyarn

Do you think this Pumpkin Butter Recipe is safe?

PlantsAndYarn
11 years ago

I am dreaming of all the things I could can (BWB) this summer and have been checking out Fruit Butter recipes. I came across this recipe for Pumpkin Better. Not sure how it tastes. There were 3 reviews, 1 said only process in pressure canner, 1 said don't try to can at all, 1 said to add an acid, then process BWB b/c pumpkin is technically a fruit.

So what do you think? I know NCHFP says not to can pumpkin puree. Just curious as to whether you think this would work with the acid added.

Makes 1 pint Pumpkin Butter
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Ingredients:

1 pound pie pumpkin, peeled and cubed or 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin (not pie mix)
1/2 cup water
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Preparation:
Place pumpkin and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the pumpkin has broken down. Strain through a sieve or food mill. If using canned pumpkin, omit this step and pick up below.

Combine pumpkin puree with sugar and spices, and choose one of the following cooking methods.

Slow Cooker: Place sweetened pulp in a slow cooker with lid partially off to let steam escape. Set at low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-12 hours or overnight, or until thick enough so the butter doesn't run off a spoon when turned upside down.

Microwave: Place sweetened pulp in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 20 minutes at a time, stirring frequently until thick enough so the butter doesn't run off a spoon when turned upside down.

Stovetop: Place sweetened pulp in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 1-2 hours or until thick enough so the butter doesn't run off a spoon when turned upside down.

Oven: Heat oven to 250 degrees. Place sweetened pulp in a heatproof casserole dish or roaster. Bake, stirring only occasionally, for 1-3 hours or until thick enough so the butter doesn't run off a spoon when turned upside down.

Place hot butter in hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Cover with hot sterilized lids and rings. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove to counter and allow to cool before storing in a cool, dry, dark place.

If you don't process in a water bath, the butter can be kept refrigerated for up to three weeks or frozen for up to one year.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Just curious as to whether you think this would work with the acid added.

What added acid? I don't see any so what am I missing?

As you already know no pumpkin butter recipes are approved for canning. You can make it for the fridge or for freezing. There is no reason to try to can it. If you do it is a do-at-your-own-risk recipe.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

There used to be approved canning recipes for pumpkin butter but they were pulled several years ago.

When further testing was done, the NCHFP came to realize the water level and pH of pumpkin varied so greatly there was no way to arrive at an assuredly safe processing time for BWB (which is what the recipe called for).

Bernardin (the Canadian branch of Ball) retained a more acidified recipe, one with orange juice for a while, but then they pulled that one also.

There just is no way to be assured what acidification would result in a safe product and, obviously, over-doing it on acid compromises the flavor as well.

Nor can PB be pressure-canned as the same pH and water level issues apply plus it's a dense product that presents the same challenges as plain pumpkin puree, which is also no longer approved.

So freezing or refrigeration is your best option. Squash and pumpkin keep well in cold storage and butter can be made in small batches as another alternative.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Carol

• PlantsAndYarn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, there is no acid in the recipe. One reviewer suggested to add 1 TBS of lemon or lime juice before processing.

I figured this recipe was one of those old ones that isn't up to current standards, but thought I would get some experienced canners opinion. I make my own pumpkin puree every fall & then freeze it.

I am not really disappointed that the recipe won't work for canning, Carol. I am leaning towards the Silky Apricot Butter that I found on the Ball website and other fruit butter recipes I found. Pumpkin may technically be a fruit, but I just don't think the butter would be as tasty as other fruit butters. I save my pumpkin puree for pumpkin gingerbread. Now that is one tasty treat!!

Thanks.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I have to confess I don't find pumpkin butter appealing either, even though I love pumpkin pie. (Qualifier - I use Hubbard squash for "pumpkin" recipes and much prefer it.)

Even if I could can it, I wouldn't for lack of interest.

Pumpkin is definitely one of the low-acid fruits and other squashes are even higher on the pH scale.

Carol

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I love pumpkin butter, but it isn't worth the risk of canning.
    You can easily use your frozen pumpkin puree, add spices, cook it down until thick and refrigerate it.
    Carol already suggested small batches and I agree.

Care to share the pumpkin gingerbread recipe???? Sounds delicious!

Deanna

• PlantsAndYarn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deanna the pumpkin gingerbread is very tasty. Even my grandson love it. I will post the recipe as a new message so everyone can see it.