Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

'Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets' vs. my home-made ones.

denninmi
13 years ago

Well, I hate to say it, but this grocery store product put mine to shame.

In my culinary tradition, a "pickled beet" was just a beet in vinegar solution, with salt, no spices.

The same neighbor that brought me the fruitcake that was so bland gave me a jar of these.

Well, they are really good, actually.

I'm trying to figure out the spices.

I don't think it's very complicated -- I know I tasted onion and clove. And, I think there may be some mustard in there as well. Probably also just a little bit of garlic, cinnamon, and ginger, and black pepper, but very, very light.

I should have done a "jar-topsy" before I threw out the brine after consuming the beets, to look for whole spices, but alas, I didn't think to. I just put the lid on and discarded (wasteful, I know, but the jar wasn't useful to me). I'm pretty sure there weren't any whole cloves or similar in there, just possibly some powdered spice residue at the bottom of the jar. But, it was hard to tell with the brine being very, very purple-red from the beets.

Also, quite sweet-sour, so there is a good amount of sugar in the brine. But, not overly sweet -- it is similar to a sweet (cucumber) pickle -- sweet but still sour from vinegar.

I'd like to make my own version at home. Just wondered if anyone has a good, sweet, spiced pickled beet recipe they like similar to this product

Comments (17)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Just beets in plain vinegar? For shame. :)

A common recipe calls for mixed pickling spices and they contain most all the things you list so you might want to try that.

We use sugar, whole cloves, a couple of whole black peppercorns, a bit of salt, whole cinnamon sticks, whole allspice plus some dried onions in ours, just use to taste. And you have the option of using either a spice bag or leaving them free in the brine. A bayleaf is also optional but remove it before canning.

Oh, and cider vinegar, not white.

Dave

NCHFP Pickled Beets

Spice House Pickled Beets

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I have two different recipes I really like, one fairly standard with cloves, cinnamon, allspice and blade mace (all whole) and with a mixture of brown and white sugar.

The other is more "exotic" with cloves, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, red wine and red wine vinegar, and sugar.

Both are slight variations of recipes in "Joy of Pickling." I also have tried and like Ellie Topp's in "Small-Batch Preserving."

Why don't you ask her for her recipe? Most people are flattered and enjoy sharing. There are a few grumps who won't, but fortunately they're in the minority, LOL.

Carol

• denninmi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all for the responses and recipes. I have several to try now.

Carol, what is "blade mace"? I know what the spice mace is -- the aril that surrounds the nutmeg -- it's expensive, with a mild nutmeg flavor. Would I be correct in assuming "blade mace" would be a whole or partially whole dried mace aril, as opposed to the traditional ground mace powder generally found in the spice aisle?

PS -- Aunt Nellie is a brand name owned by a corporation, not a person. They probably wouldn't share their recipe.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Shows what I know. I've never seen Aunt Nellie's anything here. But if you see some on the store shelf, check the ingredient list. Maybe you'll get some helpful hints.

Yes, blade mace is another term for the "webbing" that surrounds the nutmeg. It's a slight difference in flavor, but I like it.

Carol

• mawma
    13 years ago

There is a recipe for picked beets in the Blue Ball & Kerr canning book, Also one in Betty Crockers Cookbook for making pickled beets from canned beets. It follows:
    2 cans canned beets 16 oz. each sliced beets drained keep liquid. 2Cups sugar 1 Cup Vinegar ( I used applecider vinegar ) 2 sticks cinnamon ( I used 2 teaspoons of pickling spices or 1 teaspoon each of powdered cinnamon, cloves,& allspice) really make your portions to your taste. Add enough water to beet juice to measure 2 Cups. Heat liquid mixture, sugar, vinegar & spice mixture to boiling, pour over beets. Cover & refrigerate at least 12 Hrs. Hope this helps

• skeip
    13 years ago

I recently had a selection of "pickles" as an appetizer at a local high end restaurant. One of them was a Beet pickle. I love Beets in any form except pickled, but I tried them anyway. They were amazing. We tasted over and oever trying to decide what the elusive flavor was. Turns out these were house-pickled and the chef revealed the secret ingredient was vanilla. I will be tinkering with my own beets next season to see if I can recreate that taste.

Steve

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Here is a previous thread with some additional recipes in it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled beets recipes

• HU-709049531
    4 years ago

Thanks for this “thread”! I don’t cook but I “eat” and I love Aunt Nellie’s Pickled Beets. I got around to wondering why I liked this brand so well and “browsed” them.

According to Breaking News book by Alan Rusbridger (history of his editorship of The Guardian) you folks are the new journalistic authorities. Congratulations! Thanks for the info!

• HU-420928178
    2 years ago

I tried pickling spice and didn't like the taste . I think the cloves over power the beats .

I tried balsomic vinegar , honey and salt . That was very good but not really a pickled beat . Blue chease or feta would be good with that .

I am thinking just vinegar and salt .

• annie1992
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I use Grandma's old recipe and even won a blue ribbon at the County Fair with them a couple of years ago. However, my Mother still prefers Aunt Nellie's.

Grandma's recipe is very much like the one from the Ball Blue Book, the one with the sugar and spices. It doesn't have pickling spice, but does have whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and allspice.

Annie

• Victor Himbaugh
    2 years ago

My batch was a disapointment . I put one clove in each 8 oz jar. and it tasted too much like cloves. I also over cooked the beets and they ended up soft.

Ill try again next season . or may BUY raw beets at Kroger.

well, or just buy a jar of Nelly’s

• James Betler
    2 years ago

So just wondering. Did any recreate the aunt nellies version successfully or just keep saying their own recipes

• Susan Warren
    4 months ago

Do any of you people read labels? Apparantly not or just don't care about high fructose corn syrup. If you don't know how bad it is , look it up. Its been banned in other countries.

• matthias_lang
    3 months ago

Well, Susan Warren, I don't see anyone here in this very old thread (started 12 years ago) using corn syrup.

Tell us about your own harvest and preservation of beets, pickled in particular.

• bragu_DSM 5
    2 months ago

love pickled beets but haven't put any up in years. Alas, no one else in my family likes the earthy taste ... perhaps I married wrong? [he says, after 43 years of 'it's a wonderful wife']

• annie1992
    2 months ago

bragu, I think beets are one of those things that you like or you don't. I love beets but don't like pickles so much. Other family members like pickles and not beets, LOL. Some like both and every year I can pickled beets, either red or golden, depending on what's available when I have time to do them. I use Grandma's old recipe for some family members and the one with pickling spice for others. I did win a Grand Champion ribbon at the fair a couple of years before COVID with the pickled golden beets, but they are much milder than the red ones and the pickling process seems to take away most of the earthy flavor.

Annie