Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tclynx

Seeking Hot pepper jelly canning recipe

tclynx
15 years ago

The other half is interested in some hot pepper jelly recipes.

We have long thin cayenne peppers growing as well as some Jalapenos, Habinjaro, and lots Hungarian Hot Wax peppers growing.

Would like to find something like a hot red pepper jelly to use for seasoning as well as a recipe for something like a hot sweet Thai pepper sauce we could bottle/can up for later use.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments (8)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

There are several very recent posts here about hot pepper jelly and recipes. Suggest that you do a search in this forum.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Here you go. Be sure to check out the one for Habanero Gold as it is a big favorite with many here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: hot pepper jelly discussions

• zabby17
    15 years ago

As for your Thai hot-sweet sauce, there aren't (alas!) a lot of tested recipes around for Asian-style condiments, but Ellie Topp's book does have this one, which I tried recently (my post raving about it has fallen onto the second page of the forum).

The heat comes from dried pepper flakes in the recipe, but if you want to use your own hot peppers just omit the dried flakes and substitute your chopped hot peppers for some of the sweet red pepper in the recipe.

DH and I love this over fish.

Z

Thai Chili Sauce
    from Small Batch Preserving by Topp and Margaret Howard

1 small tomato, chopped
    1/2 small sweet red pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 Tbsp minced gingerroot
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/3 cup fish sauce
    3 Tbsp lime juice
    2 Tbsp each: brown sugar and rice vinegar
    2 tsp hot pepper flakes
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Combine tomato, pepper, onion, garlic, gingerroot, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, vinegar, and hot pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

2. Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch of rim. Process 15 minutes in BWB for half-pint and pint jars.

Makes 2 cups.

• tclynx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

?is that recipe really safe for BWB processing? I would have thought it not acidic enough?

• tclynx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm actually thinking that I will start out with the Thai Hot and Sweet Dipping Sauce in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Makes about nine 8 ounces jars.

1/2 cup finely chopped garlic
    1 tbsp Salt
    6 cups cider vinegar
    6 cups granulated sugar
    1/2 cup hot pepper flakes

Process time in BWB is 15 minutes
    We dry our own cayenne peppers so this should be a reasonable one to try.

• joybugaloo
    15 years ago

This is one of my newer favorites. It's kind of similar to the Habanero Gold, I think (which I have never tried because I love this one so much). I also have an onion/garlic/hot pepper jelly recipe of my own devising, but I need to type it up again. (I think it's on my old, dead computer!) Let me work on that. In the meantime, try this one!

Apricot Pepper Jelly

1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup hot peppers, seeded and chopped (I use a mix of peppers such as Cubanelles, jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, and cherry peppers)
    8 or 9 fresh apricots, pitted and sliced very thinly plus 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
    6 cups sugar
    1 pouch (3 oz) liquid pectin

Add the peppers, apricots, vinegar and sugar to a large pot and stir. Bring to a full rolling boil for about 8 minutes. Add the pectin and stir in. Bring back to the boil for 5 minutes. Fill jars and process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious

• joybugaloo
    15 years ago

Ok, I have found my cryptic handwritten notes on my own famous (well, at least at my local farmer's market) onion-garlic-pepper jelly. I used to sell at least a case (12 half-pints) of this stuff a week....and I have never shared the secret recipe, UNTIL NOW! (This is starting to sound like an informercial...tee hee.)

Gina's Locally-Famous Onion-Garlic-Pepper Jelly

1 1/2 cups mixed peppers (both sweet and hot*), seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    5 cups sugar
    1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Combine everything except the pectin and bring to a full, rolling boil for at least a minute. Stir in the pectin, bring back to a rolling boil for five minutes.

Fill jars (this usually yields 3 pints/6 half-pints) and process in a boiling water bath, 10 minutes for half-pints and 15 minutes for pints.

*I like about half red bell pepper and half whatever hot peppers are good to go from the garden. Choose according to your desired heat level, from mild Anaheims all the way up to habaneros, if you dare! I usually use something mild like Anaheim or Nardello, some jalapenos and/or serranos, and maybe some cherry peppers or (red) super chilis for a little more color. And I use the food processor to make easy work of chopping all the veggies.

Serving Suggestions:
    The traditional preparation is to serve this spooned over a brick of cream cheese with crackers But our FAVORITE thing to do is to roast a chicken halfway, take it out, glaze it liberally with the pepper jelly, and finish roasting it. The chicken comes out shiny and crispy and sweet and spicy and succulent. SO GOOD!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious

• tclynx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

joybugaloo,
    Thanks, those sound tempting. Definitely like the idea of using it as a glaze.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz