Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pureed Tomatoes

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 18:20

I like to use "pureed" tomatoes for making spaghetti sauce at home. What would be the way to get that thick consistency you get from the commercially canned ones when canning your own tomatoes at home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pureed Tomatoes

You know, I used to make jarred spaghetti sauce, but found that just putting up halved or quartered tomatoes the usual way and before using draining off a good deal of the fluid before dumping them in the pot with the meat and other ingredients will give you a quick, thick product.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:54

Don't know the consistency of commercially canned pureed tomatoes. never used them. But you can always just peel, run through the food processor, heat, add the lemon juice or citric acid, and can per the tomato sauce instructions.

Or better yet just used the Crushed Tomatoes instructions at NCHFP. That is the most popular method for most of us.

One of the methods should be similar to the canned ones from the store.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes

o

I've tried to get them that thick, but it's not recommended to be that thick.

Just canned them, then pour off 'water'/liquid, and blender them.

o

Thank you. The can and drain method sounds like a good and simple idea. I will try that next year.

o

I find it much easier/faster/ convenient just to use canned juice then right before serving add a 6oz can of paste per quart at the end of cooking to finish spaghetti sauce. Cooking the sauce in the liquid makes it much easier for the spices especially fennel to meld in your sauce without any risk of food potentially burning the pan. With thicker sauce you have to be more of a slave over the stove to prevent burns.

o

An option I use is dehydrating tomatoes and powdering them in the food processor. Works well for thickening and I enjoy the added flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here