Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Chicken soup and various questions

gardengalrn
9 years ago

Since I'm super excited to get some things canned up in my new canner, I've been looking at recipes I've been wanting to try. Bear with me here ;)
1. I want to make up some soup using the chicken soup recipe in Ball's but subbing turkey. I have a 20 lb turkey in the freezer that needs to go because we are getting a half beef this week (and thus my canning frenzy). It calls for cooked meat, stewed. Would there be any issues with me roasting the turkey in a traditional way in the oven and using some of that? It's a lot of turkey and I wanted some for sandwiches, etc.

2. I also want to do some pints of spaghetti sauce, using whatever approved recipe I decide to go with. Most call for fresh tomatoes which are unavailable to me. Is there a rule of thumb for amounts of canned tomatoes vs fresh? I know the substitution isn't ideal but I would like to try.

3. I've never canned venison in tomato juice and it seems recommended in several books. Does anyone else do this and if so, what do you use the end product for?
Lori

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES