Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freegard

cordial recipe

freegard
14 years ago

I have an excess of loganberries freshly picked and would like to make some cordial ,can anyone help me with a recipe please I have a BWB and a PC and shortly will have raspberries ,strawberries,mulberries and blackberries ,I always make jelly and Jam and would love to make my own syrup and cordial

Comments (7)

• skeip
    14 years ago

I posted these once before, but here they are again.

BLACKBERRY LIQUEUR

2 Cups Fresh Blackberries, picked over and rinsed
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 Cup Vodka
    1 Cup Brandy
    1 Cup Light Corn Syrup
    1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice

Place Berries in a clean 1 gallon jar and add Sugar. Crush the berries with a wooden spoon and let stand for one hour. Add Vodka and Brandy, cap tightly and shake. Add Corn Syrup and Lemon Juice. Let stand in a cool dark place for 2 weeks.

Use a fine mesh strainer to strain our solids and discard them. Rack or filter into final containers. Cover and age one month more before serving.

RASPBERRY LIQUEUR

1 1/2 Pounds Fresh Raspberries, picked over and washed
    1 Cup Sugar
    3 Cups White Zinfandel
    1 1/2 Cups Vodka
    2 Cups Water

Crush the Raspberries and Sugar together in a bowl, let stand for one hour. Transfer to a clean glass gallon jar and add the Wine, Vodka, and Water. Cover tightly and shake gently. Let stand in a cool dark place for 3 days, shaking daily.

Use a fine mesh strainer to strain out solids and discard. Rack or filter into bottles, seal with corks and age at least one more month before serving.

No BWB or PC is necessary for either one. Have Fun!

Steve

• freegard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thankyou for those but I am looking for a recipe for children but now I have one for adults

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Steve, can you use a cheaper brand of vodka, brandy and zinfandel on those? And what about frozen fruits that have no sugar added... Thx, Beth

• skeip
    14 years ago

Hi dirtgirl07! You sure can, I usually use the "house brand" at my local purveyor of spirits, and they are just fine. Frozen fruit too, works great because they only freeze at the peak of quality, and they are very consistent.

Steve

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Oh yea!! That's great that I can try doing some at this time of year. Thanks Steve!

• sosusie
    14 years ago

Check the link for blackberry acid-a fruit concentrate that you add to ice and soda etc.to make a non alcoholic drink. It's not a canning recipe, but could be easily frozen. I saw them make it on TV and it looked wonderful.

This blackberry cordial recipe is from a 1985 Ball Blue book... no longer included in new versions. Which means it is either no longer popular enough to have in the new book OR there is a safety issue with it.....so hopefully the "experts" will comment on it's safety, or again, you can just freeze it.

There is also a really good strawberry-lemonade concentrate recipe in the Ball Complete Book Of Home Preserving.
    SOS

Blackberry Cordial (caution:1985 BBB)
    To 2 quarts blackberry juice, add 3 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon each whole cloves, whole alspice, whole cinnamon, and whole nutmeg (tied in bag). Simmer 30 minutes. Bring to boiling. Discare spice bag. Pour boiling hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process pints and quarts 15 minutes in boiling water bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberry Acid

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I sure don't see any safety issues with the blackberry cordial recipe. I think this is probably due to lack of popularity or just being replaced by some newer recipes in their books.
    If you want a syrup recipe for using over icecream or waffles, etc. there is a good one that I have used quite a bit. If you want it I can resend or you can probably search for it. Let me know if you would like that type of syrup recipe.