Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwoolfenden

anything interesting to do with pears?

mwoolfenden
13 years ago

i got given a couple pounds of pears and would like to do something yummy with them, any ideas? what have yall made with pears before?

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Are they Asian pears or just one of the regular varieties? Asian pears require additional acid to be added to them

Otherwise there is pear honey, cinnamon pears with red hots (a personal favorite), pear dessert sauce, plain canned pear halves, pear syrup, pear-apple chutney, pearsauce (like applesauce), etc. Type 'pears' in the search bar at the bottom of the page here for some recipes others have posted. I linked one good set of recipes below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: pear recipes discussions

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

I asked this a few months ago, and I couldn't decide/didn't have the time, so I ended up slicing them into some apple cider vinegar to steep into flavored vinegar. The pears add a delicate flavor, and would also be really good in white wine vinegar (which I didn't have on hand, but maybe next year!)

Carla in Sac

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

A pear 'butter' (cooked down pears) and adding some fine bits of orange zest towards the end makes a wonderful jam.

Sorry, no recipe, we just filled a crock pot with pears and let it cook down until thick, added sugar to taste (not much) and orange zest.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

If I had a couple of pounds of fresh pears right now, I'd make myself a pear, blue cheese salad with candied pecans and mustard dressing.

My family would eat a couple of pounds of pears fresh. No need to do anything with them.

• pqtex
    13 years ago

My answer is too late for you, but I had the same question a few months ago with a bumper crop of pears this past year. It was my first year canning. What a success!

I canned diced pears and pear halves, pear mincemeat, pear jam, pear pie filling, and pear juice, and some other things I can't remember offhand. All were wonderful, but the first thing we ran out of was the pear juice.

For the juice, I used pears that were very ripe (and not firm enough for canned pear halves). I put them through my Roma juicer/sauce maker. Then I strained it through cheese cloth. Followed instructions from one of the tested recipes for apple juice (don't remember which one right now). Canned in pints. It was wonderfully sweet and flavorful, without any added sugar or water. It was great by itself or added to iced tea for a flavored tea. I wish I'd made much, much more of it.

My pear tree is an old homestead variety of pineapple pear. I'm in southeast Texas, and my pears begin to ripen near the end of June and July.

This forum was so much help when I was just starting, and gave me the confidence to actually consume what I made. I feel good about my skills now, and know that I am doing it safely.

• mommymammal
    12 years ago

My 2 favorite things to do with pears: (1) Pearsauce. Like applesauce but just substitute pears. Wa-a-ay better! (2) can pear halves in a light syrup, but add a small handful of red raspberries to each jar. Gives a beautiful color and amazing flavor! I've even done this with frozen whole unsweetened berries if fresh weren't available.

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional