Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Does anyone remember how to make prune butter

corrie22
12 years ago

This is something both my grandmothers used to make. Canning preserves made me remember it.

It's something like apple butter, only with prunes, and I'm pretty sure it's what is in the middle of a prune danish.

Not too sweet.....

I have a few relatives that are still alive and I'm sure they haven't had this in years. It would be something I can make for them they might like....

...and yes, I know it would have to be refrigerated! LOL

Thanks guys

Corrie

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Google Lekvar for recipes. One linked below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Lekvar recipe

• readinglady
    12 years ago

There are two kinds of prune butter. One is the lekvar Dave mentioned. It's a thick Eastern-European-type filling used for pastries and cookies and normally made from dried prunes.

The other prune butter is old-fashioned American farm fare and is like apple butter but generally made with fresh Italian prunes (meaty purple plums). I can provide instructions if that's what you're interested in.

Carol

• skeip
    12 years ago

This was grandmas's recipe, making it takes me back to her kitchen 40 years ago.

PRUNE KUECHEN

1 Envelope Dry Yeast
    3 Tablespoon Sugar
    1/2 Cup Warm Water
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
    3 Eggs
    1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
    1 Cup Lukewarm Milk

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, and set aside to proof. Put the flour, shortening, sugar and salt in a large bowl, and mix into a fine meal, as for pie crust. Beat the three eggs in a separate bowl, and add the warm milk and the yeast mixture. Stir all of this into the flour. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator over night.

In the morning, divide the dough into three parts, put two aside and working with one part, divide in half again. Working on a floured surface, roll the two parts into thin sheets, large enough to fit a 7" x 10" low sided baking pan. I use the disposable foil ones.

Spread the dough with 1/3 of the Prune filling (recipe follows). Place the second sheet of dough on top of the filling, and pinch the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining two dough balls. Let raise in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size. Bake in a 350 degree oven 20 - 25 minutes, or until just golden. Remove from oven and cool until just warm, frost with Powdered Sugar Frosting (recipe follows). Sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Prune Filling:
    In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, place one pound pitted prunes and enough water to cover. Cook until soft. Put all through a food mill until smooth. Sweeten to taste.

Powdered Sugar Frosting
    2 Cups Powdered Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Butter
    1/4 Cup Milk

Melt the butter, and stir into the powdered sugar. Pour the milk into the pan where the butter melted to heat slightly. Use enough of the warm milk to make the frosting smooth but not runny.
    Steve

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County