Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seasyde

What have you put up in 2014?

Seasyde
10 years ago

Thought I'd get the thread started for this year.

Today I put up 7 half pints orange marmalade after being inspired by the recent marmalade thread.

Comments (103)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Leather britches, canned green beans, canned and frozen crowder peas, okra, tomatoes, and squash.

Too many jars and bags to count!

I'm making some sauerkraut, and I'm fixing to try fermenting peas!

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

This week:
    14 qts. green beans
    10 - 12 oz. jars of dilly beans
    10 lbs. of cukes fermenting
    12 lbs. of yellow plums fermenting for wine
    12 or or pints of blueberries frozen

• matthias_lang
    9 years ago

pickled sweet peppers
    canned and frozen lamb's quarters
    frozen curry purslane puree
    canned tomato juice
    gooseberry jelly
    gooseberry-apple jelly
    dried plums
    dried mushrooms

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got around to canning again: 4 half pints raspberry jam.
    Not much, but its a start.

• keith100_gw
    9 years ago

Frozen peas, approx. 55 pints, all done
    Canned potatoes 42 pints so far.
    Canned green beans 22 pints so far,
    great way to break in my All American 930 craigslist find , still in the box. Love it
    Keith

• cme1
    9 years ago

So far:
    Dill pickles (various kinds) - 7Q, 16P
    Rhubarb-orange marmalade - 7 1/2P
    Rhubarb-cinnamon jam - 5 1/2P
    Strawberry-Rhubarb jam - 9 1/2P
    Strawberry Jam - 9 1/2P
    Rhubarb preserves - 4 1/2P
    Strawberry-basic-balsamic Jam - 5 1/4P
    Cherry jam - 10 1/2P
    Raspberry Jam - 19 1/2 P
    Pickled Beets - 3 Q
    Plain pasta sauce - 6Q, 11P
    Meat sauce - 15 P

Today:

Jalapeno corn relish - 15 P
    Sweet cucumber relish - 8 1/2P
    Yellow corn - 6 P

(Phew!)

• canfan
    9 years ago

I had some apricots given to me yesterday and decided to make "Apricot" Sauce based on Balls Big Book recipe for plum sauce. I only had 6 cups of apricots so I added a can of crushed pineapple abd cut down the sugar and switched to white vinegar and lime juice. Used brown mustard seeds instead of yellow. Reduced the amount of salt and spices ... but other than that I followed the recipe.. Delicious!

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

I will chime in for the first time here. Y'all inspire me to grow more veggies! to put up.
    5 half pints grape jam
    9 half pints blackberry jam
    11 half pints sand plum jam
    3 pints sand plum jam
    12 half pints caramelized onions frozen
    12 pints and 3 half pints spicy pickles
    8 pints salsa
    4 pints tomato sauce
    not all in one day. over the last couple weeks.
    kim

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

5 12oz jars of Dilly Beans
    4 pints of Zucchini Pineapple
    4 pints of Ellie Topp's Spiced Lemon Pickled Beans, 4 jars of Rosemary Garlic Pickled Beans, and 6 pints of Dilly Beans (snapped short)
    8 jars of Blueberry Lime jam
    4 jars of Black and Blue jam
    4 pints of a Hot Mixed Vegetable Pickle (from JoP)
    4 half pints of NCHFP Pickle Relish
    3 half pints and 4 qrtr pints Black Krim jam
    3 half pints and 4 qrtr pints Sweet 100 Tomato Jam
    6 half pints Tomato-Pineapple Butter
    4 quarts plain Tomato Juice
    5 3/4 quarts Standard Tomato Sauce
    4 halfpints of Golden Tomato Marmalade
    6 half pints and 1 qtr pint Tomato & Pineapple Jam
    7 quarts of Tomato and Zucchini
    4 pints of Zucchini Relish (JoP spices, NHCFP process)
    15 pints of Annie's Salsa
    5 quarts of Golden Tomato puree (Golden Queen & Orange Minsk) for later soup
    4 halfpints of Cherokee Purple jelly (I hope, I simmered them, put them through mill and got 4C of puree/juice, added 3T pectin and 1/4C sugar, 5 Tbsp lemon/lime juice, 1/2tsp salt)

Froze 21 quarts of green & wax beans - seemed like more. But I don't know if it's worth the freezer space to try to do as many as we eat in 9-10 months since we go through at least a quart (1-1.5 lbs) a week. It might be better to buy them a month at a time after we go through the homegrown ones in a few months.

I picked 9 gal of sweet peppers plus more hot peppers 10/10 due to frost advisory, have to make salsa but need more cilantro - crazy prices in store and it doesn't last long in fridge. Next year I will have to freeze mine early in the summer to have when the tomatoes come in. Time to make pepper jelly!

I've frozen quite a few tomatoes too, sent 4 gals (about 22lbs) to my parents' freezer earlier, another 3 bags of chunks (roughly 15 lbs) plus 1 gal of roasted tomato "sauce" (1 full sheet pan full of tomatoes) on 10/10 to make room in my freezer for more (just did another sheet pan/gal of roasted tomatoes that night). Maybe after Columbus Day I can get more canning done. I've got more stuff in their small (7sf?) upright freezer than they do! But my chest freezer, 5cf upright, and bottom freezer in fridge are full - even after clearing out 2 pies and more frozen tomatoes used for the fife& drum corps muster 10/3!

I thought I did more Lemon Pickled Beans (with lemon juice since I only had 1 lemon for the first batch) but unless I misplaced 6 WM pints, I must have been counting NCHFP recipe Dilly Beans instead b/c I just checked the basement.

I do need to make another batch of Blueberry Lime jam, maybe Black and Blue as well. Or do you think last year's berries are better left in the freezer over the winter? I'll make jam in the spring to bring to early summer market. They're considering doing a winter market 1 day a month but it had better be a weekend, and indoors if they want anyone to go.

DD loved the Sweet 100 Tomato Jam so much she tried making 5 half pints of it but all I had were slicers and it didn't set up as well (Food in Jars recipe, no pectin) as mine so she made Blueberry Lime and Pineapple Upside Down Cake jam for the fair and won blue ribbons for both. (I got 2 blue and 2 red)

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 4:35

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Just noticed this forum and this thread for the first time. I have probably never 'put up' anything, since I made grape jelly in high school. [g] We've always had a small vegetable garden that didn't even provide enough fresh through the season, let alone extra.

I wonder….do all of you that 'put up', have large gardens that provide you with everything you do, or do some of you purchase fruit and veggies to process?

• nugrdnnut
    9 years ago

prairiemoon2,
    I have 4 raised bed, each are 4' x 10'. I plant 10-12 tomato plants between 2 beds and plant intensively/successively in the other beds. This allows me to can salsa, spiced pickled beets, freeze carrots and broccoli, and this year I look forward to making pickled and frozen green beans. Additionally i've grown garlic, onions, cauliflower, & cabbage. Succession planting can help to really get the most of one's garden. You have to keep to a schedule and it is best accomplished by those who "enjoy" gardening.

The fruit I put up is from local farmer markets (with the exception of blackberries and raspberries which I can harvest for free).

put up so far:
    Frozen broccoli and blackberries.
    canned:
    14 pints Annie's Salsa
    7 pints peach/blackberry syrup
    14 quarts of peaches...

Happy gardening, harvesting, and preserving!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Hi Nugrdnnut, you get a good amount of food out of your beds then, that's really great! And all that food in the freezer and in the pantry!! I like beets but others in my family don't. What is in your spiced pickled beets recipe?

I haven't put a lot of effort into succession planting yet, but every year I say I'm going to do better but then the dates get by me and .. best laid plans and all that. :-) I did a little better this year, but I could really do much better if I get organized I think.

We had a small 100 sq ft garden of raised beds that was ready to be replaced this year, so we increased the size to about 300sq ft. I wonder why I didn't do it before. The extra room has felt like a windfall, but so far we're still just feeding us and our adult kids.

Oh…btw, since you grow cabbage in a small garden, someone recommended a cabbage to me called 'Gonzales' and I tried it this year. You get a cabbage about the size of a large softball. I'm about the only one who eats it, so I wanted something that didn't take up much room. It worked out great! The plants had a small footprint and when we harvested them, they made one large bowl of coleslaw and no leftovers. Perfect for me. I will grow them again.

We put in three blueberry bushes this year and a small area of strawberries, which we won't see a harvest from this year.

I wish I had somewhere nearby that had pick your own organic fruit and I would put up a lot for the freezer. And probably make jelly too.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing!

• judydel
    9 years ago

So far this is what I've done. It's still a work in progress as each day there is more to pick and put up. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now! I'll update as I go along.

IN THE FREEZER

Blueberries - 14 Quart Jars

Tomato Sauce with Garlic & Fresh Basil - 5 Quart Jars

Peaches Quartered - 8 Quarts in FoodSaver Bags

Peaches Blended for Smoothies - 15 Ice Cube Trays Filled (frozen in the trays and then cubes put through FoodSaver)

Zucchini Blended for Smoothies - 5 Ice Cube Trays Filled (frozen in the trays and then cubes put through FoodSaver)

Crookneck Squash and Zucchini Sauteed with Onions and Garlic - 8 Quarts in FoodSaver Bags

Summer Squash/Carrot/Onion Pancakes (Similar to Potato Pancakes) - 10 Cakes

Zucchini Bread - 18 Dozen/Loaves

Chicken - 24 Birds approximately 3 lbs each

ROOT CELLAR:

Garlic - 1 Bushel in total of 4 Varieties

Potatoes need to be picked (there are a lot!). There will also be Butternut Squash and Onions

CANNED:

Spicy Dill Pickled Beans - 6 Pints

DEHYDRATED:

Spicy Beans - 1 Pint (It took a zillion beans to fill 1 pint lol)

Oregano, Basil and Parsley

This post was edited by judydel on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 12:01

• keith100_gw
    9 years ago

I'm up to
    138 pints of green beans now (more to do tomorrow)
    75 pints of potatoes
    11 quarts of tomatoes
    2 quarts of tomato juice.
    I expect to have more tomorrow(tomatoes, and beans)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

12 quarts black-eyed peas (frozen)
    7 pints diced tomatoes (canned)
    6 pints tomato juice (canned)
    3 pints cucumber relish (canned)
    3 pints vinegar marinade (canned)
    6 half pints BBQ sauce (frozen)
    7 pints carrots (canned)
    15 quarts sliced onions (frozen)
    10 quarts sliced bell and chili peppers (frozen)
    14 pints green beans (canned)
    4 quarts spaghetti sauce (frozen)
    10 half pints candied jalapenos (canned)

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:16

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First canning day of the season after our trip to farm country (Wapato WA) yesterday:

4 pints okra pickles (did a half batch to see if we like them)
    28 pints + 4 half pints pickled jalapeno rings (we really like these!)

Still have tomatoes, eggplant & peaches to process. No Gravenstein apples yet for applesauce, & couldn't find any cucumbers worthy of the time & effort to make pickles.

• canfan
    9 years ago

Hmmmm 8 cups of crab apple juice and 6 cups of sugar = 4 10 oz jars of crab apple jelly jarred and another 8 oz for the fridge. It takes longer than it ought to . . . IMHO

I will be turning the pulp (sauce) into applets... and a few 8 oz jars of crab apple sauce...

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've added 30 cups baba ganoush (frozen, not canned)
    5 pints Katie C's Roasted tomato garlic soup
    9 qts + 1 pint crushed tomatoes

• canfan
    9 years ago

Seasyde, baba ganoush sounds yummy.... did you freeze in ziplocks or containers? Would you mind sharing your recipe?

• dancingcook
    9 years ago

What a neat discussion! So inspiring. So far this year:
    Peach jam
    Peach chutney
    Dried peaches
    Peach tart (2 in freezer)
    Peach caramel pound cake (freezer)
    Bottled peaches
    Bottled apricots (purchased these; peaches from two trees in my garden)
    Gooseberry jam

And, I made and froze a few mushroom quiches to tide me over while recuperating from total hip replacement :)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

138 pints of green beans?! How many plants/row ft do you have? I haven't counted yet how many lbs/quart bags I've frozen but it's beginning to feel like a million, yet I know it's not anywhere near that (I haven't filled the 5cf freezer yet LOL)!

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

A working on 40 lbs of peaches and 70 lbs of tomatoes.

14 pt Annie's Salsa
    8 pt Annie's Peach salsa
    14 qt sliced peaches in syrup
    9 pt tomatoes sauced

Working on more sauced tomatoes, yellow marinara, and peach sauce.

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did another 7 pints of Roasted Tomato garlic soup at the request of DH. This from a man who didn't like soup when I met him.....
    Seasyde, baba ganoush sounds yummy.... did you freeze in ziplocks or containers? Would you mind sharing your recipe?
    Sure thing. I freeze in the cheap 1 cup rectangular zip-lock type containers. Its a good amount for the 2 of us, and they stack neatly in the freezer.

Eggplants are sliced in half lengthwise and grilled until they are really soft and gooey. (This can be done under a broiler if need be but I miss the smokey taste. You can add just a touch of liquid smoke to the finished product if you like). Then scrape out the insides of the eggplant. I sometimes remove big clumps of seeds, but its almost impossible to get them all out. Then, for each pound of scraped eggplant add 2-3 T. lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, crushed, 1/2 T. kosher salt (use less if using regular table salt), 2 T. sesame tahini, and 1/3 c. olive oil. Process together in a food processor until smooth, or the consistency you like. This is very much a "to taste" recipe so feel free to play with the amounts. The above is what works for us. Note when thawing, we thaw over night in the refrigerator or place the frozen container in a pan of warm water on the counter. Microwaving does strange things to the texture & I can't recommend it.

Edited to add: We serve this on a platter, drizzled with more olive oil, sprinkled with chopped parsley and halved Kalamata olives. Served with warm pita bread for dipping.

This post was edited by seasyde on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 19:59

• canfan
    9 years ago

Thanks Seasyde.... sounds delicious... eggplants are ready so this recipe is just in time!

Daughter and I made 5 pints of Peach/Huckleberry Jam and put up a dryer full of sliced peaches. She sprinkled a few trays with a lime/chili salt... tasty!

I made applets from the crab apple pulp (applesauce)... they turned out great.... small bites though because they are sweet!

• gmgdvm
    9 years ago

DS has left for college, and has a tight food budget, so I'm supplying him with yummies. This week, I canned about 20lb of chicken quarters that were on sale, then took the trimmings from the chicken and made stock; canned 9 pts and a quart of stock. Made a batch of chili for DS also. He has requested ready-to-eat type stuff, so I think I will keep an eye out for a good price on beef and make him some beef stew, or some of the BBB beef in wine sauce. (and will probably keep some for myself! )

• iwannagoat2
    9 years ago

16 pts. dill & bread & butter pickles
    16 4oz. peach amaretto jam
    6 zesty peach barbecue sauce
    58 4oz. rose hip jelly
    122 4oz. beach plum jelly

A friend is getting married and giving 4oz. jellies as wedding favors. Phew - those little jars are a lot of work!

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did another 5 qts + 1 pint crushed tomatoes. Thats it for the (purchased) tomatoes this year.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Today was another 12 qts of Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail and 6 pint and a half jars of B&B pickled green tomatoes with peppers and onions. Rest of the ripe tomatoes (5 quart bags) and peppers went into the freezer for making Annie's Salsa later this month.

All the potatoes are dug and stored and the last of the onions have been dried. Heading out for vacation in Alaska in 10 days so once this last crock of kraut is canned the deer, squirrels, rabbits and raccoons can have everything left in the gardens until it is time to plant the turnips.

Dave

• canfan
    9 years ago

I have a triple batch of zesty salsa ready for the stove in the am... hope to get 14 pints (or so). A friend gave me the produce and I am providing the labor.. Will split the jars.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

this year i grew Holy Mole peppers. has anyone used them in a canning recipe? all my Corno di Toros are large but still green, but bugs are finding them so i picked a ?peck? today. DH (i assume that means dear hubby?) likes pickled stuff on the sweet side. i thought of jardiniere just PC'ed mixed peppers with added sugar. does anyone have suggestions? thanks !
    dave, lately i'm getting responses through email on other threads from everyone but you.....was it something i said ? ;)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

You really want to play with that new PC don't you ;-)? No need to PC the peppers, if he likes them pickled with sugar then you can BWB them and they'll be crisper. I've never pickled anything as large as a Cornu di Toro, usually slice into rings or pickle whole (jalapenos, bananas, etc.) but you can cut them into chunks.

They won't be hot, but you can try "cowboy candy" - my cowboy doesn't like sweet pickles but your DH may. Here's another recipe I've never tried, but has quite a bit of sugar - why don't you try a test batch? You can leave out the garlic if you want - and if you don't want to sterilize your jars for 10 minutes first just process the peppers for 10 minutes - though they will be softer than way.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Pickled Bell Peppers (with sugar)

• pattypan
    9 years ago

thanks ! i also found a recipe for sweet jardiniere, on tasteofhome.com it seems okay, like the sugar would bind up the extra cup of water ( compared to Joy of Pickling recipe).

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Do you have the Joy of Pickling? You can always add sugar to a tested recipe. I'd be leery of something that called for more water (less vinegar) than an approved recipe.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

the Joy is on my Christmas wish list !

• paradisa
    9 years ago

SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PUT UP:

FROZEN:

STRAWBERRIES - 24 QUARTS

BLUEBERRIES - 42 QUARTS

GRAPES - 8 QUARTS

DEHYDRATED:

STRAWBERRIES - 2 QUART JARS

BLUEBERRIES - 6 PINT JARS

PEACHES - 3 PINT JARS

CANTALOUPE - 1 QUART AND 1 PINT JAR

HONEYDEW - 2 PINT JARS

PINEAPPLE - 4 GALLON JARS

RASPBERRIES - 1 PINT JAR

STRAWBERRY FRUIT ROLL UPS - 2 QUART JARS

BLUEBERRY FRUIT ROLL UPS - 6 GALLON JARS

PLUM FRUIT ROLL UPS - 1 GALLON JAR

PEACH ROLL UPS - 1 GALLON JAR

CANNED:

GREEN BEANS (CUT UP, WHOLE, FRENCHED) - 84 QUARTS

ZUCCHINI - ( CHUNKED, SHREDDED) - 21 QUARTS

CABBAGE - 14 QUARTS

LAZY GOLUMPKI - 28 QUARTS

BEEF BROTH - 22 PINT JARS

MANDARIN ORANGES - 22 PINTS

PLUMS - 11 PINTS

MUSHROOMS - 33 1/2 PINT JARS

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SAUCE - 11 PINTS

MEAT SAUCE - 22 PINT JARS

SPAGHETTI SAUCE - 44 PINT JARS

TOMATO JUICE - 21 QUARTS

STRAWBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

BLUEBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

RASPBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

PEACH JAM - 9 1/2 PINTS

BLUEBERRY PIE FILLING - 21 QUARTS

PEACH PIE FILLING - 14 QUARTS

PEACHES - 14 QUARTS

BLUEBERRIES - 33 PINTS

CHICKEN - 28 PINTS

DILLY BEANS - 18 PINTS

SAUERKRAUT - 4 1/2 HEADS IN CROCK

STILL HAVE TO CAN:

POTATOES
    CARROTS
    BEEF STEW
    VEGETABLE SOUP
    SPLIT PEA SOUP
    FRENCH ONION SOUP
    VEGETABLE BROTH
    CHICKEN SOUP
    CHICKEN STOCK
    PORK
    SALSA
    BEEF (REG AND GROUND)
    MORE DILLY BEANS
    MORE REGULAR BEANS
    CORN
    APPLE PIE FILLING
    TURKEY
    TURKEY STOCK
    PEARS
    PEAR JAM
    ELDERBERRY JUICE
    GRAPE JUICE
    APPLESAUCE
    CHERRY PIE FILLING
    BEETS
    MORE CHICKEN IN OCTOBER
    PINEAPPLE
    AND SAUERKRAUT WHEN DONE

WHEW ! I'M TIRED ! LOL

IF ANYONE HAS ANY CANNING RECIPES FOR MEATS THAT ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE JUST PUT IN THE JAR RECIPES, I'D LOVE TO TRY THEM IF YOU'D SHARE.

HAVE FUN "PUTTING UP" IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG WINTER.

PARADISA

• pattypan
    9 years ago

sorry, i was wrong in my last post. the taste of home recipe is 2:1 vinegar: water, just like the colorado pepper mixed veggies.

• pattypan
    9 years ago

i am put to shame !! what are lazy golumpki ?

• Monkey_Princess_101
    9 years ago

Canning season is just starting for tomatoes here, mine have ripened so slowly, I've been getting Mortgage Lifter and Great White and Sungold for about a week, but the Rutgers and Bonny Best are just starting, so I'll be canning my own salsa this week, hopefully. I'm in the middle of selling one house and buying another, and it looks like closing on each of them could be the same day. Only in my life, whew....

Anyway:

40 lbs sweet cherries, frozen
    10 pints dill pickles
    10 pints sweet horseradish pickles
    12 pints Linda Lou's sweet pickles
    14 pints sweet relish
    12 half pints tomato marmalade
    7 quarts Taylor Horticultural beans, shelled
    2 quarts Taylor Horticultural beans, frozen
    5 lbs. Taylor Horticultural beans, dried
    2 batches zucchini candy
    27 quarts pink half runner beans
    9 quarts yellow wax beans
    20 quarts Royal Burgundy Beans
    50 pounds sauerkraut packed in crock, fermenting
    35 pounds strawberries, frozen
    30 pounds blueberries, frozen
    7 pounds tomatillos, frozen
    7 half pints Black Forest Jam (thanks, Melly!)
    11 pints 3 bean salad, pickled
    18 pints Zucchini Cinnamon Red Hot pickles
    22 quarts beef stock, canned
    19 quarts chicken stock canned
    30 chicken halves, frozen (hey, I grew them AND plucked them!)
    11 pints lard rendered and frozen

Does the 320 pound pig that didn't get slaughtered for the freezer until April because we couldn't get out there with equipment because the snow was too deep count?

Annie

• Seasyde
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Recently done:
    7 pts. peaches
    6 pts. applesauce
    5 qts + 1 pint chicken stock

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Sorry for that above post, the Monkey Princess is my granddaughter, she just got her own account and was posting on the Cooking Forum using my computer, LOL, and I didn't sign off hers and onto mine.

I just canned that 20 quarts of sauerkraut today, and added seven jars of KatieC's Chipotle Catsup, 6 pints of pizza sauce and 17 pints of beautiful tomato soup made from Great White Tomatoes and sweet red peppers, along with basil from my herb garden. That won't last long, it's yummy.

The Monkey Princess and I were working on a batch of Tomato Butter, but it didn't thicken well and so we left it in the crockpot on low all night. This morning we woke up to a molten mass of scorched tomatoes, so that's becoming pig food, recycled into bacon!

Annie

• heavens123
    9 years ago

28 jars of medium hot salsa
    34 jars of pasta sauce
    14 jars of pizza sauce
    10 jars of chili base
    9 jars kosher dill pickles
    9 jars bread and butter pickles
    40 jars chopped tomatoes
    7 jars cherry jam
    7 jars blueberry jam

Getting ready to can lime juice next and then I move on to applesauce, apple pie filling and cherry pie filling.

• canfan
    9 years ago

Since my last post I have dried cucumbers, peaches, apples and mangos; pickled 14 pints of okra and put up 27 jars of Annie's Salsa

• missrumphius
    9 years ago

I concentrate on preserves and condiments since a lot of this is intended for gifts.

7 jars Cherry jam
    9 jars Strawberry jam w/raspberry juice and balsamic vinegar
    7 jars raspberry jelly
    6 jars Cherry and raspberry jam w/ kirsch
    7 jars plus 2 pints Blueberry jam
    5 jars Plum and Orange jam with cardemon
    5 jars "Peach Preserves for a Cold Morning"
    7 jars Tomato chutney
    8 jars Peach and Ginger chutney
    6 jars Tomato ketchup
    7 pts Annie's Salsa
    4 pts Pickled beans w/ rosemary and oregano
    5 qts Mixed mustard pickles
    6 qts Dill pickles
    9 pts Sweet pickles
    28 qts whole tomatoes

In the freezer: (for us)
    8 qts Pseudo V-8 juice
    10 qt bags of pesto (frozen in ice cubes)
    6 qts corn
    4 qts Roasted garlic - Tomato pasta sauce

Here is what some of it looks like: the shelf unit was a gift from a colleague.

• canfan
    9 years ago

Still pulling tomatoes and peppers and onions out of the garden so I put up a batch of Indian spiced tomatoes and a double batch of Annie's salsa. I will probably have a couple more batches coming... the threat of frost is over again for now...

• spartan-apple
    9 years ago

Wow! Some of these post show some mighty nice photos and very long lists. I am humbled. Poor apple crop and pear crop this year so no apple sauce or canned pears. So far:

7-rhubarb jam
    14-strawberry jam
    15-concord grape jelly
    7-plum jam (stanley prune)

Hopefully some apple jelly yet to finish the season.

• canfan
    9 years ago

Added 6 half pints of Hot Pepper Jam to the stash (so easy to do)... headed for an Apple Cider Press party this afternoon. Hope to bring home some cider... think I'll use some of it for Caramel Apple Jam... Found a deal for pint jars @ $2.50/dzn. Good thing, too.. because I had none.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Spartan, sorry about that apple crop. Here in Michigan we're having a bumper crop year, so I have half a bushel of Courtlands waiting to become apple pie filling and several bushels of mixed varieties destined for the cider press.

I managed to dehydrate 5 pounds of October beans, and put a couple dozen Butternut and Sweet Dumpling squash into storage, along with a 5 gallon bucket of sweet potatoes, as well as can 9 pints of "plain" pears and 13 pints of Cinnamon pears and 20 pints of swiss chard. We're in the midst of moving, so I had to move all of these out of the basement and to the "new" house on the farm!

Annie

• gardnpondr
    9 years ago

I have canned tomatoes, then today I canned 19 pints of black beans. I also canned some more of Annies salsa. HAVE to have that every year! lol I'm sure there is more but that's all I can remember right now.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I have no clue, other than I have about three hundred jars in the pantry now and a very full freezer. I'm not done yet, either. May be doing up a canner or two of small irish potatoes and some sweet potatoes. Have limas coming on yet as well. If I can keep groundhogs out of the garden, have a nice run of broccoli, cabbages and carrots in the fall garden, and hope to make a lot more freezer slaw out of the last two. I did lots of pickles and salsa this year, because we were getting low on them. Good garden year. Got nearly seven hundred pounds of vegetables out of it. Good berry year too.

• canfan
    9 years ago

This past weeks activities:
    Dried some peppers
    6 half pints of tomato jam (it takes a loooong time to cook tomatoes down)
    100 lbs of cabbage shredded for kraut (40 pounds went to other homes)