Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What have you put up in 2014?

Posted by seasyde Washington (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 19:43

Thought I'd get the thread started for this year.

Today I put up 7 half pints orange marmalade after being inspired by the recent marmalade thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What have you put up in 2014?

I don't know if you'd actually call it putting- up, but I've been making strained liquid meals for DH. I make as much as the blender will hold, strain it out and store it in refrigerated jars until used. Today I made Mean Green and Fruity Oatmeal.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 19:20

Finally got the last of the venison done this week. 15 qts. plain and 8 quarts venison stew.

Also turned the 2 extra turkeys we picked up at the after Thanksgiving sales into canned meat and broth.

Got some room in the freezer now. So if I could get Carol to send me a couple of tuna I'd be set. :)

Dave

o

2 pints of sunchoke pickles (soon to be many more), 5 and a half pints of apple slices, and 3 pints of cubed pineapple.

Rodney

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 19:46

o

6 pints of turkey stock.

Rodney, could you post the recipe you used for sunchoke pickles? Sounds interesting and another way to use them.

Thanks,
Deanna

o

I haven't canned anything yet this year, but I just dehydrated 178 heads of garlic. I figure I have enough for...oh....probably three years, LOL.

Annie

o

Deanna- The recipe I used is from the first edition of "The Joy Of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. My library only had the older edition so I don't know if it might have changed (I doubt it).

Pickled Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes)- Makes 2 pints

1.5 pounds sunchokes
1/4 c. plus 1 t. pickling salt
1 qt. water
4 thin slices fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves
2 small dried chile peppers
1/2 t. coriander seeds
1 t. cumin seeds
2 c. cider vinegar
1/4 c. brown sugar

-Scrub the sunchokes, and slice them 1/4 inch thick. Put the sunchokes into a bowl. Stir the 1/4 cup salt into the water until the salt dissolves, and pour the brine over the sunchokes. Let them stand 12-18 hours.
-Drain and rinse the sunchokes, and drain them again. Into each of 2 pint jars, put 2 slices of ginger, 1 sliced garlic clove, 1 chile pepper, 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds. Add the sunchokes, packing them loosely. In a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, the sugar, and the 1 teaspoon salt, stirring until the sugar and salt is dissolved. Pour the hot liquid over the sunchokes leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Close the jars with hot two-piece lids. Process the jars for 15 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Wait at least three weeks before eating.

I omitted the sugar because I hate sweetened pickles and I didn't wait 3 weeks before tasting them. I like them.

Rodney

o

Thanks Rodney! I'll give them a try.
I like the small recipe for a first timer.

Deanna

o

4 half pints of Habanero Gold jelly

o

5 half pints of White Zinfandel jelly. Someone brought a large bottle of it to a party here, it got opened but no one drank it - so I turned it into jelly. It is the most beautiful colored jelly I have ever made.

Elaina

o

Six quarts of cubed Musque de Provence pumpkin -- my first ever pressure canning exploit!!

Several bags of raw onions into the freezer -- catching the ones that are not storing well after that wet summer.

o

21 quarts of (no longer) dry beans - 7 chole, 9 rajma, and 5 canellini.

My latest citrus delivery was delayed by the rains in Florida, then the midweek storm. I'm awaiting the truck this morning. Planning chili marmalade and orange jelly.

It's so nice to be canning again. I broke my wrist last March and haven't canned in almost a year. The pickings on my shelves are super thin.

o

21 half pints of jam - 9 strawberry, 6 strawberry-rhubarb, 6 strawberry-cranberry.

Marmalade is steeping in the fridge. Then it will be time to tackle the frozen blueberries.

I'm shocked by the price of pectin. I never stocked up last season. Only 1 grocery store has it locally. I'm paying $3.59 a box.

o

What about the Ball stuff in the canister? That should be less expensive than buying boxes if you can find it.

o

ajs - if I could find the stuff in the canister I'd buy it. It's just that none of the stores I frequent even have it on the shelf right now. As it is, I bought every box on the shelf when I found it - all 6 boxes!

More jam yesterday
13 half pints of chili orange marmalade
6 half pints blueberry cranberry jam

Today I'll be making cranberry sauce. Then it's time to put the canner away for a while. 40 jars of jam is enough!

o

6 pints of Meyer Lemon Marmalade.
MJ

o

Sheila and pixie lou, the jar of pectin isn't that much cheaper. Regular pectin can be purchased online for about $3.99 per POUND, about the same price as 2 boxes or cheaper than the jar. Yes, you will have to pay shipping, but even that shouldn't cost more than another few boxes. A pound will last a very long time.

I made hundreds of jars (I think about 500 or so) last year and went thru less than 7 lbs. 5 pounds of bulk regular pectin plus shipping cost me about $33, the price of 10-12 boxes. Now I bought 25 pounds which will last me all year and part of next year. I've already done about 15 batches and haven't made a dent in the 25#. The 25# plus shipping cost me less than $75 dollars.

o

Sounds like she's done with jam until summer - maybe pixie lou will use that much in a year. I don't use much pectin and when I do I use the low/no sugar type. Last I checked that was about $5 for the canister and Ball says it's equivalent to 3-4 packages of pectin (wonder why they don't have exact number? 4.7 oz is 2.68 times the 1.75oz size, maybe it's been reformulated but I'd think 3 packs, not 4 packs is equivalent). So it's a little cheaper - esp. if you don't like a really stiff set so would measure out less instead of dumping an entire package in (when they used to sell it in packages I'd use half a package anyway - and I haven't seen the green boxes around here lately).

o

Different recipes take different amounts, is the only reason I can think of. I found that I was using the jars so fast, they were easier to open at least. Now I have qt ziploc bags with my pectin. I haven't tried the sugar free/low sugar in bulk. I'm not allowed to sell no sugar/low sugar jams and jellies, not even butters. But you have to do what the rules allow.

o

Yesterday I put up 14 of those little 4 oz jars of cranberry sauce. I washed the canner today and put it away for a while.

MFF- where do you buy the pectin in bulk? Granted I'm done jamming for a while, but I typically go thru at least a dozen boxes of pectin since I typically make about 100 jars of jam. As long as the pectin has a shelf life I should definitely by it in bulk. I'm still cringing at the price I paid.

AJS - I totally agree - 4.7 oz vs 1.75 oz is a simple math equation. The "equivalent to 3-4 boxes" seems a bit flaky.

o

If anyone has a Save-A-Lot store near them, they sell pectin there for I believe a dollar a box (1.75 oz). It's full sugar pectin and the brand is Jel Ease. The pectin works well but I wouldn't use the instructions inside the box since they call for simply inverting the jam/jelly, not BWB-ing.

Rodney

o

I buy my bulk pectin from nuts.com. Not only do they have pectin, but all kinds of bulk goodies. BTW, their chocolate covered pretzels are to die for. They also usually send a sample of something that you haven't bought.

I've used Jell Ease before and wasn't happy with it. You need fruit pectin, either citrus or fruit. I don't think sugar makes pectin.

o

Got a late start on my garden so I wont have much for a while. So far I've done:

Strawberry Jam ~ 5 pints, 9 half-pints
Blackberry Syrup ~ 3 half-pints
Blackberry Jam ~ 2 half-pints

Dehydrated ~
Apricots
Strawberries

This post was edited by Destls on Sun, May 18, 14 at 2:18

o

Canning season is actually winding down here in S FL. I did a LOT of tomatoes….plain crushed, about 6 different types of salsa and taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, and meat sauce. 25 pints of tomatillo salsa verde (yum!), almost 100lb of potatoes (diced and as wedges), green beans, sweet corn, and 21 quarts of sauerkraut. I've had to completely rearrange my pantry to accommodate all of the good stuff, and actually took over a couple of book shelves in my dinette area to hold the overflow. I guess running out of storage space is a GOOD problem to have, right? :-)

o

I know y'all will laugh, but I have "put up" 10 quarts of poke salat in my freezer!

It gets me through the cold winters!

o

I just canned 8 pints of ground beef tonight. It's gotten so expensive that the best price I could find is the 10# tube of ground beef at WalMart for $25. I don't have much experience canning produce yet, this will be my first year. Bought a large stockpot today for cooking the ground beef that will double as a WBC. Mostly I've been canning meat when I find it on sale. Loved the .79 cents a pound turkeys last thanksgiving. Should have done more, I'm already almost out of canned turkey.

o

nettie3 - do you have a pressure canner?

o

Yes I do have a pressure canner. I was referring to WBC for which I will attempt to can fruit/veggies this summer. :)

o

Wanted to make sure you're weren't trying to WBC (BWB) the meat. Veggies (unless pickled) will need to be PC'd as well, most fruits OK for BWB.

Gotta stock up this year - beef and now I hear pork are going up, so chicken will be too b/c of people switching from beef and pork and with the drought in CA the fruits and veggies will be getting more expensive too.

o

7 pints stewed rhubarb

It's rhubarb season. I decided to can my rhubarb this year - normally I freeze it. But we may be moving this summer and I figured it would be easier to move canned stuff instead of frozen stuff!

o

I think I might can some rhubarb too, 1 of my cousin's plants is getting pretty big and she's still down south. Wouldn't you know I just stocked up on meat so freezer is full. Maybe there's room in hers. I'd like to just can it with my strawberries (jam, pie filling) and don't really want to process it twice. I haven't "put up" anything yet this year except packaging store-bought meat in FS bags and freezing. But I need to start making some jam from frozen blueberries to get ready for market. Also want to try hickory syrup.

BTW, I found pectin in the canister on clearance (expires this summer though). Do you still need some? When/where are you moving? We're going to be in Boston the end of June (4th of July weekend?) for my niece's dance competition.

o

12 jars mulberry jam

o

Mon, May 26, 14 at 18:24

Today was 12 pints of spinach canned as it was starting to bolt. Had plenty of fresh for salads the past couple of weeks but thanks to the weather the crop wasn't near normal. Hopefully the fall crop will be better.

Dave

o

Hey ajsmama - thanks for the pectin offer. I'll gladly take some off your hands if we could coordinate schedules. However my I laws will also be in town 4th of July week. Just possible moving to the next town over. May put the offer in this week.

o

• Posted by jpc57 coastal Virginia (My Page) on
    Thu, May 29, 14 at 15:13

So far have frozen 4 pounds of tart cherries (from our small home orchard) and 4.4 pounds of snow peas. I'm also drying sage, oregano, and basil.

o

Nine half-pints & one 1/4 pint of strawberry/rhubarb jam.
Six half-pints & one 1/4 pint of strawberry/blackberry/raspberry jam this morning!

Also drying oregano, thyme, sage, and green onions.

o

Five jars of cognac cherries - yum.
MJ

o

So far....

Green Beans
Baked Beans
Pinto Beans
Mixed veggies (potatoes, carrots and onions)
Stewed Tomatoes
Diced Tomatoes
Spaghetti Sauce
Pickle Relish
Lots and lots of tomatoes and I'm still canning them!

o

1 quart of blanched frozen rhubarb mush

But I've used up all the whole canned tomatoes, and all the 2012 salsa (still have 2013 salsa and tomato sauce, tomatoes with squash)!

Strawberries are starting to turn color so will be starting those soon.

Oregano is huge - how to dry it (have Excalibur but I don't want to burn it)?

o

24 pints of green and wax beans
6 half pints of pineapple
12 pints of peaches
1 pint of cherries

and more 4 more lbs of beans to can tomorrow we picked yesterday!

o

I did 16 half pints of pickled beets and onions
6 half pints of Kimchee
Working on venison chili tonight.

o

Hi,
I just finished putting up 4 strawberry rhubarb, 6 strawberry, 6 blueberry and 7 blueberry lime jams. Getting ready for the agricultural fair.
MJ

o

Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 17:33

Yesterday and today are dicing onions - 1/2 will be frozen in 1 c measurement and 1/2 are going to be dehydrated over the next several days.

Canned the last of the spinach last week until after the fall crop matures.

Dave

o

We were given a LOT of sweet onions, and I don't have much freezer space, so I diced up 12 pounds of them, cooked them for what seemed like FOREVER, and made caramelized onion jam……12 lb of onions cooked down to 9 half-pints of jam, and that's WITH a bunch of vinegar and sugar! Lots of work, but ooooohhhhh…..yummy!

o

Hello! I just read through all these posts and am so envious of those that live in climates that you can start growing and preserving in February! Anyway, can anyone share recipes on canning peaches and pineapple? Also, how do you freeze the snow and snap peas? Do I need to boil them first and then freeze them?

TIA!

o

Check out NCHFP site

o

Check out NCHFP site NCHFP.uga.edu

o

12 4-oz jars of strawberry freezer jam, 5 gallons of frozen strawberries, 1.5 quarts of dried strawberries, and a gallon bag full of strawberry fruit leather. That was 52 lbs of strawberries, with some for fresh eating.

(and I'm thinking about going back to get more strawberries)

o

I have 3 quarts of "drunken" cherries in the pantry.... suppose to wait till Christmas but.... I may not be able to wait that long...

Did a batch of huckleberry jam today. 5 half pints for the pantry and one half pint for the fridge (didn't seal)... have about 10 more cups of huckleberries in the freezer to clear out befor this years crop.... Don't know why I waited till the hottest days of the year to do this.... what was I thinking???

o

Added 3 cups of garlic scape pesto to the freezer this weekend, frozen in 1-tablespoon portions.

o

I've been having fun with my new pressure canner! 3 quarts chicken stock, 2 quarts vegetable stock, and 3 quarts carrot fennel soup. Just used it as a BWB canner and did 8 pints honey spiced peaches.

o

7 quarts kosher dills, 7 quarts regular dills, 20 pints of gooseberry preserves. A kind soul gave us half a bushel of wonderful purple plums, so I canned those as well.
Everyone was so hungry for fresh green beans and new potatoes that I only had 6 quarts of green beans left to can, but we have a second crop coming, now that we pulled up the pea vines and dug the potatoes to make room in the garden. Our tomatoes are not producing very well this year for some reason. I hope we'll have enough to put up.We are down to our last 4 jars of salsa from last year.

o

It's "bean" busy around here...

Green Beans - 28 quarts, 5 pints
Wax Beans - 4 quarts, 15 pints
Dilly Beans - 10 pints
3-Bean salad (Ball recipe) - 35 pints

o

Put up 9 pints of Pickled Beets and have a left over pint of brine that I think I'll pour over hard boiled eggs. We grew the variegated variety along with the traditional red beet. I prefer the texture of the traditional for pickling. Variegated cooked to a softer consistency than the reds.

o

Leather britches, canned green beans, canned and frozen crowder peas, okra, tomatoes, and squash.

Too many jars and bags to count!

I'm making some sauerkraut, and I'm fixing to try fermenting peas!

o

This week:
14 qts. green beans
10 - 12 oz. jars of dilly beans
10 lbs. of cukes fermenting
12 lbs. of yellow plums fermenting for wine
12 or or pints of blueberries frozen

o

pickled sweet peppers
canned and frozen lamb's quarters
frozen curry purslane puree
canned tomato juice
gooseberry jelly
gooseberry-apple jelly
dried plums
dried mushrooms

o

Finally got around to canning again: 4 half pints raspberry jam.
Not much, but its a start.

o

• Posted by keith100 5 Upstate N.Y. Sarat (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:07

Frozen peas, approx. 55 pints, all done
Canned potatoes 42 pints so far.
Canned green beans 22 pints so far,
great way to break in my All American 930 craigslist find , still in the box. Love it
Keith

o

• Posted by cme1 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:20

So far:
Dill pickles (various kinds) - 7Q, 16P
Rhubarb-orange marmalade - 7 1/2P
Rhubarb-cinnamon jam - 5 1/2P
Strawberry-Rhubarb jam - 9 1/2P
Strawberry Jam - 9 1/2P
Rhubarb preserves - 4 1/2P
Strawberry-basic-balsamic Jam - 5 1/4P
Cherry jam - 10 1/2P
Raspberry Jam - 19 1/2 P
Pickled Beets - 3 Q
Plain pasta sauce - 6Q, 11P
Meat sauce - 15 P

Today:

Jalapeno corn relish - 15 P
Sweet cucumber relish - 8 1/2P
Yellow corn - 6 P

(Phew!)

o

I had some apricots given to me yesterday and decided to make "Apricot" Sauce based on Balls Big Book recipe for plum sauce. I only had 6 cups of apricots so I added a can of crushed pineapple abd cut down the sugar and switched to white vinegar and lime juice. Used brown mustard seeds instead of yellow. Reduced the amount of salt and spices ... but other than that I followed the recipe.. Delicious!

o

I will chime in for the first time here. Y'all inspire me to grow more veggies! to put up.
5 half pints grape jam
9 half pints blackberry jam
11 half pints sand plum jam
3 pints sand plum jam
12 half pints caramelized onions frozen
12 pints and 3 half pints spicy pickles
8 pints salsa
4 pints tomato sauce
not all in one day. over the last couple weeks.
kim

o

5 12oz jars of Dilly Beans
4 pints of Zucchini Pineapple
4 pints of Ellie Topp's Spiced Lemon Pickled Beans, 4 jars of Rosemary Garlic Pickled Beans, and 6 pints of Dilly Beans (snapped short)
8 jars of Blueberry Lime jam
4 jars of Black and Blue jam
4 pints of a Hot Mixed Vegetable Pickle (from JoP)
4 half pints of NCHFP Pickle Relish
3 half pints and 4 qrtr pints Black Krim jam
3 half pints and 4 qrtr pints Sweet 100 Tomato Jam
6 half pints Tomato-Pineapple Butter
4 quarts plain Tomato Juice
5 3/4 quarts Standard Tomato Sauce
4 halfpints of Golden Tomato Marmalade
6 half pints and 1 qtr pint Tomato & Pineapple Jam
7 quarts of Tomato and Zucchini

Froze 21 quarts of green & wax beans - seemed like more. But I don't know if it's worth the freezer space to try to do as many as we eat in 9-10 months since we go through at least a quart (1-1.5 lbs) a week. It might be better to buy them a month at a time after we go through the homegrown ones in a few months.

I don't know if we'll get more squash. I also want to try some zucchini relish. But I have some green (non-bell) sweet and hot peppers so salsa time is just around the corner - I only have 9 pints left from last year! I bought a potted cilantro plant last night -the store didn't have any cut, and mine has all gone to seed. Next year I'll freeze it early in the season to have later.

I thought I did more Lemon Pickled Beans (with lemon juice since I only had 1 lemon for the first batch) but unless I misplaced 6 WM pints, I must have been counting NCHFP recipe Dilly Beans instead b/c I just checked the basement.

I do need to make another batch of Blueberry Lime jam, maybe Black and Blue as well. Or do you think last year's berries are better left in the freezer over the winter? I'll make jam in the spring to bring to early summer market. They're considering doing a winter market 1 day a month but it had better be a weekend, and indoors if they want anyone to go.

DD loved the Sweet 100 Tomato Jam so much she tried making 5 half pints of it but all I had were slicers and I'm afraid it's not going to set up as well (Food in Jars recipe, no pectin) so she might have to make something else next week for the fair in Oct.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Sep 20, 14 at 8:06

o

Just noticed this forum and this thread for the first time. I have probably never 'put up' anything, since I made grape jelly in high school. [g] We've always had a small vegetable garden that didn't even provide enough fresh through the season, let alone extra.

I wonder….do all of you that 'put up', have large gardens that provide you with everything you do, or do some of you purchase fruit and veggies to process?

o

prairiemoon2,
I have 4 raised bed, each are 4' x 10'. I plant 10-12 tomato plants between 2 beds and plant intensively/successively in the other beds. This allows me to can salsa, spiced pickled beets, freeze carrots and broccoli, and this year I look forward to making pickled and frozen green beans. Additionally i've grown garlic, onions, cauliflower, & cabbage. Succession planting can help to really get the most of one's garden. You have to keep to a schedule and it is best accomplished by those who "enjoy" gardening.

The fruit I put up is from local farmer markets (with the exception of blackberries and raspberries which I can harvest for free).

put up so far:
Frozen broccoli and blackberries.
canned:
14 pints Annie's Salsa
7 pints peach/blackberry syrup
14 quarts of peaches...

Happy gardening, harvesting, and preserving!

o

Hi Nugrdnnut, you get a good amount of food out of your beds then, that's really great! And all that food in the freezer and in the pantry!! I like beets but others in my family don't. What is in your spiced pickled beets recipe?

I haven't put a lot of effort into succession planting yet, but every year I say I'm going to do better but then the dates get by me and .. best laid plans and all that. :-) I did a little better this year, but I could really do much better if I get organized I think.

We had a small 100 sq ft garden of raised beds that was ready to be replaced this year, so we increased the size to about 300sq ft. I wonder why I didn't do it before. The extra room has felt like a windfall, but so far we're still just feeding us and our adult kids.

Oh…btw, since you grow cabbage in a small garden, someone recommended a cabbage to me called 'Gonzales' and I tried it this year. You get a cabbage about the size of a large softball. I'm about the only one who eats it, so I wanted something that didn't take up much room. It worked out great! The plants had a small footprint and when we harvested them, they made one large bowl of coleslaw and no leftovers. Perfect for me. I will grow them again.

We put in three blueberry bushes this year and a small area of strawberries, which we won't see a harvest from this year.

I wish I had somewhere nearby that had pick your own organic fruit and I would put up a lot for the freezer. And probably make jelly too.

Thanks for sharing what you're doing!

o

So far this is what I've done. It's still a work in progress as each day there is more to pick and put up. I'm a bit overwhelmed right now! I'll update as I go along.

IN THE FREEZER

Blueberries - 14 Quart Jars

Tomato Sauce with Garlic & Fresh Basil - 5 Quart Jars

Peaches Quartered - 8 Quarts in FoodSaver Bags

Peaches Blended for Smoothies - 15 Ice Cube Trays Filled (frozen in the trays and then cubes put through FoodSaver)

Zucchini Blended for Smoothies - 5 Ice Cube Trays Filled (frozen in the trays and then cubes put through FoodSaver)

Crookneck Squash and Zucchini Sauteed with Onions and Garlic - 8 Quarts in FoodSaver Bags

Summer Squash/Carrot/Onion Pancakes (Similar to Potato Pancakes) - 10 Cakes

Zucchini Bread - 18 Dozen/Loaves

Chicken - 24 Birds approximately 3 lbs each

ROOT CELLAR:

Garlic - 1 Bushel in total of 4 Varieties

Potatoes need to be picked (there are a lot!). There will also be Butternut Squash and Onions

CANNED:

Spicy Dill Pickled Beans - 6 Pints

DEHYDRATED:

Spicy Beans - 1 Pint (It took a zillion beans to fill 1 pint lol)

Oregano, Basil and Parsley

This post was edited by judydel on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 12:01

o

• Posted by keith100 5 Upstate N.Y. Sarat (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 19:01

I'm up to
138 pints of green beans now (more to do tomorrow)
75 pints of potatoes
11 quarts of tomatoes
2 quarts of tomato juice.
I expect to have more tomorrow(tomatoes, and beans)

o

12 quarts black-eyed peas (frozen)
7 pints diced tomatoes (canned)
6 pints tomato juice (canned)
3 pints cucumber relish (canned)
3 pints vinegar marinade (canned)
6 half pints BBQ sauce (frozen)
7 pints carrots (canned)
15 quarts sliced onions (frozen)
10 quarts sliced bell and chili peppers (frozen)
14 pints green beans (canned)
4 quarts spaghetti sauce (frozen)
10 half pints candied jalapenos (canned)

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 21:16

o

First canning day of the season after our trip to farm country (Wapato WA) yesterday:

4 pints okra pickles (did a half batch to see if we like them)
28 pints + 4 half pints pickled jalapeno rings (we really like these!)

Still have tomatoes, eggplant & peaches to process. No Gravenstein apples yet for applesauce, & couldn't find any cucumbers worthy of the time & effort to make pickles.

o

Hmmmm 8 cups of crab apple juice and 6 cups of sugar = 4 10 oz jars of crab apple jelly jarred and another 8 oz for the fridge. It takes longer than it ought to . . . IMHO

I will be turning the pulp (sauce) into applets... and a few 8 oz jars of crab apple sauce...

o

We've added 30 cups baba ganoush (frozen, not canned)
5 pints Katie C's Roasted tomato garlic soup
9 qts + 1 pint crushed tomatoes

o

Seasyde, baba ganoush sounds yummy.... did you freeze in ziplocks or containers? Would you mind sharing your recipe?

o

What a neat discussion! So inspiring. So far this year:
Peach jam
Peach chutney
Dried peaches
Peach tart (2 in freezer)
Peach caramel pound cake (freezer)
Bottled peaches
Bottled apricots (purchased these; peaches from two trees in my garden)
Gooseberry jam

And, I made and froze a few mushroom quiches to tide me over while recuperating from total hip replacement :)

o

138 pints of green beans?! How many plants/row ft do you have? I haven't counted yet how many lbs/quart bags I've frozen but it's beginning to feel like a million, yet I know it's not anywhere near that (I haven't filled the 5cf freezer yet LOL)!

o

A working on 40 lbs of peaches and 70 lbs of tomatoes.

14 pt Annie's Salsa
8 pt Annie's Peach salsa
14 qt sliced peaches in syrup
9 pt tomatoes sauced

Working on more sauced tomatoes, yellow marinara, and peach sauce.

o

Did another 7 pints of Roasted Tomato garlic soup at the request of DH. This from a man who didn't like soup when I met him.....
Seasyde, baba ganoush sounds yummy.... did you freeze in ziplocks or containers? Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Sure thing. I freeze in the cheap 1 cup rectangular zip-lock type containers. Its a good amount for the 2 of us, and they stack neatly in the freezer.

Eggplants are sliced in half lengthwise and grilled until they are really soft and gooey. (This can be done under a broiler if need be but I miss the smokey taste. You can add just a touch of liquid smoke to the finished product if you like). Then scrape out the insides of the eggplant. I sometimes remove big clumps of seeds, but its almost impossible to get them all out. Then, for each pound of scraped eggplant add 2-3 T. lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, crushed, 1/2 T. kosher salt (use less if using regular table salt), 2 T. sesame tahini, and 1/3 c. olive oil. Process together in a food processor until smooth, or the consistency you like. This is very much a "to taste" recipe so feel free to play with the amounts. The above is what works for us. Note when thawing, we thaw over night in the refrigerator or place the frozen container in a pan of warm water on the counter. Microwaving does strange things to the texture & I can't recommend it.

Edited to add: We serve this on a platter, drizzled with more olive oil, sprinkled with chopped parsley and halved Kalamata olives. Served with warm pita bread for dipping.

This post was edited by seasyde on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 19:59

o

Thanks Seasyde.... sounds delicious... eggplants are ready so this recipe is just in time!

Daughter and I made 5 pints of Peach/Huckleberry Jam and put up a dryer full of sliced peaches. She sprinkled a few trays with a lime/chili salt... tasty!

I made applets from the crab apple pulp (applesauce)... they turned out great.... small bites though because they are sweet!

o

DS has left for college, and has a tight food budget, so I'm supplying him with yummies. This week, I canned about 20lb of chicken quarters that were on sale, then took the trimmings from the chicken and made stock; canned 9 pts and a quart of stock. Made a batch of chili for DS also. He has requested ready-to-eat type stuff, so I think I will keep an eye out for a good price on beef and make him some beef stew, or some of the BBB beef in wine sauce. (and will probably keep some for myself! )

o

16 pts. dill & bread & butter pickles
16 4oz. peach amaretto jam
6 zesty peach barbecue sauce
58 4oz. rose hip jelly
122 4oz. beach plum jelly

A friend is getting married and giving 4oz. jellies as wedding favors. Phew - those little jars are a lot of work!

o

Did another 5 qts + 1 pint crushed tomatoes. Thats it for the (purchased) tomatoes this year.

o

Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 20:10

Today was another 12 qts of Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail and 6 pint and a half jars of B&B pickled green tomatoes with peppers and onions. Rest of the ripe tomatoes (5 quart bags) and peppers went into the freezer for making Annie's Salsa later this month.

All the potatoes are dug and stored and the last of the onions have been dried. Heading out for vacation in Alaska in 10 days so once this last crock of kraut is canned the deer, squirrels, rabbits and raccoons can have everything left in the gardens until it is time to plant the turnips.

Dave

o

I have a triple batch of zesty salsa ready for the stove in the am... hope to get 14 pints (or so). A friend gave me the produce and I am providing the labor.. Will split the jars.

o

this year i grew Holy Mole peppers. has anyone used them in a canning recipe? all my Corno di Toros are large but still green, but bugs are finding them so i picked a ?peck? today. DH (i assume that means dear hubby?) likes pickled stuff on the sweet side. i thought of jardiniere just PC'ed mixed peppers with added sugar. does anyone have suggestions? thanks !
dave, lately i'm getting responses through email on other threads from everyone but you.....was it something i said ? ;)

o

You really want to play with that new PC don't you ;-)? No need to PC the peppers, if he likes them pickled with sugar then you can BWB them and they'll be crisper. I've never pickled anything as large as a Cornu di Toro, usually slice into rings or pickle whole (jalapenos, bananas, etc.) but you can cut them into chunks.

They won't be hot, but you can try "cowboy candy" - my cowboy doesn't like sweet pickles but your DH may. Here's another recipe I've never tried, but has quite a bit of sugar - why don't you try a test batch? You can leave out the garlic if you want - and if you don't want to sterilize your jars for 10 minutes first just process the peppers for 10 minutes - though they will be softer than way.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Pickled Bell Peppers (with sugar)

o

thanks ! i also found a recipe for sweet jardiniere, on tasteofhome.com it seems okay, like the sugar would bind up the extra cup of water ( compared to Joy of Pickling recipe).

o

Do you have the Joy of Pickling? You can always add sugar to a tested recipe. I'd be leery of something that called for more water (less vinegar) than an approved recipe.

o

the Joy is on my Christmas wish list !

o

• Posted by paradisa Zone 5 NY Adirondack (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 15:35

SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PUT UP:

FROZEN:

STRAWBERRIES - 24 QUARTS

BLUEBERRIES - 42 QUARTS

GRAPES - 8 QUARTS

DEHYDRATED:

STRAWBERRIES - 2 QUART JARS

BLUEBERRIES - 6 PINT JARS

PEACHES - 3 PINT JARS

CANTALOUPE - 1 QUART AND 1 PINT JAR

HONEYDEW - 2 PINT JARS

PINEAPPLE - 4 GALLON JARS

RASPBERRIES - 1 PINT JAR

STRAWBERRY FRUIT ROLL UPS - 2 QUART JARS

BLUEBERRY FRUIT ROLL UPS - 6 GALLON JARS

PLUM FRUIT ROLL UPS - 1 GALLON JAR

PEACH ROLL UPS - 1 GALLON JAR

CANNED:

GREEN BEANS (CUT UP, WHOLE, FRENCHED) - 84 QUARTS

ZUCCHINI - ( CHUNKED, SHREDDED) - 21 QUARTS

CABBAGE - 14 QUARTS

LAZY GOLUMPKI - 28 QUARTS

BEEF BROTH - 22 PINT JARS

MANDARIN ORANGES - 22 PINTS

PLUMS - 11 PINTS

MUSHROOMS - 33 1/2 PINT JARS

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SAUCE - 11 PINTS

MEAT SAUCE - 22 PINT JARS

SPAGHETTI SAUCE - 44 PINT JARS

TOMATO JUICE - 21 QUARTS

STRAWBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

BLUEBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

RASPBERRY JAM - 15 1/2 PINTS

PEACH JAM - 9 1/2 PINTS

BLUEBERRY PIE FILLING - 21 QUARTS

PEACH PIE FILLING - 14 QUARTS

PEACHES - 14 QUARTS

BLUEBERRIES - 33 PINTS

CHICKEN - 28 PINTS

DILLY BEANS - 18 PINTS

SAUERKRAUT - 4 1/2 HEADS IN CROCK

STILL HAVE TO CAN:

POTATOES
CARROTS
BEEF STEW
VEGETABLE SOUP
SPLIT PEA SOUP
FRENCH ONION SOUP
VEGETABLE BROTH
CHICKEN SOUP
CHICKEN STOCK
PORK
SALSA
BEEF (REG AND GROUND)
MORE DILLY BEANS
MORE REGULAR BEANS
CORN
APPLE PIE FILLING
TURKEY
TURKEY STOCK
PEARS
PEAR JAM
ELDERBERRY JUICE
GRAPE JUICE
APPLESAUCE
CHERRY PIE FILLING
BEETS
MORE CHICKEN IN OCTOBER
PINEAPPLE
AND SAUERKRAUT WHEN DONE

WHEW ! I'M TIRED ! LOL

IF ANYONE HAS ANY CANNING RECIPES FOR MEATS THAT ARE DIFFERENT THAN THE JUST PUT IN THE JAR RECIPES, I'D LOVE TO TRY THEM IF YOU'D SHARE.

HAVE FUN "PUTTING UP" IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG WINTER.

PARADISA

o

sorry, i was wrong in my last post. the taste of home recipe is 2:1 vinegar: water, just like the colorado pepper mixed veggies.

o

i am put to shame !! what are lazy golumpki ?

o

Canning season is just starting for tomatoes here, mine have ripened so slowly, I've been getting Mortgage Lifter and Great White and Sungold for about a week, but the Rutgers and Bonny Best are just starting, so I'll be canning my own salsa this week, hopefully. I'm in the middle of selling one house and buying another, and it looks like closing on each of them could be the same day. Only in my life, whew....

Anyway:

40 lbs sweet cherries, frozen
10 pints dill pickles
10 pints sweet horseradish pickles
12 pints Linda Lou's sweet pickles
14 pints sweet relish
12 half pints tomato marmalade
7 quarts Taylor Horticultural beans, shelled
2 quarts Taylor Horticultural beans, frozen
5 lbs. Taylor Horticultural beans, dried
2 batches zucchini candy
27 quarts pink half runner beans
9 quarts yellow wax beans
20 quarts Royal Burgundy Beans
50 pounds sauerkraut packed in crock, fermenting
35 pounds strawberries, frozen
30 pounds blueberries, frozen
7 pounds tomatillos, frozen
7 half pints Black Forest Jam (thanks, Melly!)
11 pints 3 bean salad, pickled
18 pints Zucchini Cinnamon Red Hot pickles
22 quarts beef stock, canned
19 quarts chicken stock canned
30 chicken halves, frozen (hey, I grew them AND plucked them!)
11 pints lard rendered and frozen

Does the 320 pound pig that didn't get slaughtered for the freezer until April because we couldn't get out there with equipment because the snow was too deep count?

Annie

o

Recently done:
7 pts. peaches
6 pts. applesauce
5 qts + 1 pint chicken stock

o

Sorry for that above post, the Monkey Princess is my granddaughter, she just got her own account and was posting on the Cooking Forum using my computer, LOL, and I didn't sign off hers and onto mine.

I just canned that 20 quarts of sauerkraut today, and added seven jars of KatieC's Chipotle Catsup, 6 pints of pizza sauce and 17 pints of beautiful tomato soup made from Great White Tomatoes and sweet red peppers, along with basil from my herb garden. That won't last long, it's yummy.

The Monkey Princess and I were working on a batch of Tomato Butter, but it didn't thicken well and so we left it in the crockpot on low all night. This morning we woke up to a molten mass of scorched tomatoes, so that's becoming pig food, recycled into bacon!

Annie

o

28 jars of medium hot salsa
34 jars of pasta sauce
14 jars of pizza sauce
10 jars of chili base
9 jars kosher dill pickles
9 jars bread and butter pickles
40 jars chopped tomatoes
7 jars cherry jam
7 jars blueberry jam

Getting ready to can lime juice next and then I move on to applesauce, apple pie filling and cherry pie filling.

o

Since my last post I have dried cucumbers, peaches, apples and mangos; pickled 14 pints of okra and put up 27 jars of Annie's Salsa

o

I concentrate on preserves and condiments since a lot of this is intended for gifts.

7 jars Cherry jam
9 jars Strawberry jam w/raspberry juice and balsamic vinegar
7 jars raspberry jelly
6 jars Cherry and raspberry jam w/ kirsch
7 jars plus 2 pints Blueberry jam
5 jars Plum and Orange jam with cardemon
5 jars "Peach Preserves for a Cold Morning"
7 jars Tomato chutney
8 jars Peach and Ginger chutney
6 jars Tomato ketchup
7 pts Annie's Salsa
4 pts Pickled beans w/ rosemary and oregano
5 qts Mixed mustard pickles
6 qts Dill pickles
9 pts Sweet pickles
28 qts whole tomatoes

In the freezer: (for us)
8 qts Pseudo V-8 juice
10 qt bags of pesto (frozen in ice cubes)
6 qts corn
4 qts Roasted garlic - Tomato pasta sauce

Here is what some of it looks like: the shelf unit was a gift from a colleague.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here