Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seneca_s

what's the best way to get seeds out of blackberries?

seneca_s
18 years ago

My dad makes wine and needs a better method for dealing with large quantities of berries. I think he's just using a seive and jelly bag now.

Comments (20)

• smokey98042
    18 years ago

Use the Villaware unit, or the oldr Victorio unit.
    Do a search on eBay.

• malonanddonna
    18 years ago

If you have a KitcheAid mixer, the fruit & veggie attachment works wonders.

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

Yup, that Villaware with the fine holed berry screen. I used it last fall when I made my red raspberry seedless jam. Not a single seed got through. If the seeds tend to jam use the shorter length auger (grape spiral) which will allow the seeds to pass out the end a little easier. Then run the waste through a second time to get out more of the juices and pulp with no seeds. Give me boysenberries any day, wish I could grow those around here. Z6 is supposed to be OK, but all mine never make it. Last week the temps were in the upper 50's. This week they are back down into the teens and single numbers again... You can do a gallon of berries in less than 10 minutes with the Villaware!

• seneca_s
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got a Kitchenaid for Christmas. Is that what it's called, the fruit and veggie attachment? Is the Villaware going to be better than the Kitchenaid? (I might get him for for his birthday)

• smokey98042
    18 years ago

the kitchen aid is good, but for my money I would go with the Villaware.... not that much difference in cost.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

The kitchenaid strainer attachment is good. The fact that is is motorized helps things move along. That being said, when I put raspberries through it, not all the seeds get strained out. For my purposes it was fine to have a few seeds, but if you really need to get them out, I'd try the villaware. I'm going to get one eventually because I want to being to process scuppernongs and the kitchenaid can't handle those or concord grapes. I'm crazy, I bought the extra screens and grape spiral when they had them at Tuesday Morning even though I don't have the strainer yet. But, the kitchenaid can crank out some applesauce.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I have the older Villaware and although it didn't screen all the smaller seeds from the red raspberries, it did a pretty good job on the blackberries.

Your low cost and low tech alternative is to just use a fine seive and press the berries through it.

Annie

• malonanddonna
    18 years ago

I have to disagree with Melly on the KitchenAid. I've found that it does a great job on blackberries. I've also ran scuppernogs and concord grapes through with no problem. And tomatoes. And apples for applesauce. Maybe the difference is in the speed that you operate the machine.

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Malon,
    I've only done raspberries. Blackberry seeds are bigger, no? I haven't tried the grapes. I was just going on what it said in the manual. Do you run it fast or slow?

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

When they offered a motor for the Villaware I got that on sale. Its great for use on lots of tomatoes by the bushel as well as any other larger amount of stuff your doing. The motor unit is the same one used on their pasta machines and has a metal bracket that holds it onto the Villaware food strainer. Unless you have a KitchenAid base/power unit, you cannot use any of those attachments by themselves. I would have loved to see one of these attachments made for my Sunbeam Oster Kitchen Center. That unit had most everything else, including an actual real rock salt and ice type, ice cream maker that made a half gallon at a time. If there are a few seeds still left in the juice and you want them out, either a fine sieve or a cloth bag can capture the stray seeds. Blackberry, Marionberries and Boysenberries have slightly larger seeds than raspberies, but are still smaller than most grape seeds. With the same fine holed screen and the shorter grape spiral, the larger seeds don't get squeezed down as much when they reach the end of the shorter grape spiral. If you use that shorter spiral for the blackberry family, you can get a similar result with no chance of jamming, but will also lose some of the pulp, so a second, or even third pass through the fine screen and shorter spiral may be needed to get as much juice and pulp out of the seed mass.

• ksrogers
    18 years ago

Just found these pictures of teh berry screen and the motor unit for the Villaware. The whole scren set and grape spiral are also selling for just $19.99 from the Sausage Maker web site. The machine is still at $49.99 as well as the motor unit.

{{gwi:875163}}

{{gwi:875166}}

• mellyofthesouth
    18 years ago

Ok, since I actually have both screens in my house, I decided to do a side by side comparison. The villaware berry screen has slightly smaller holes. Whether it is small enough to make a difference in your decision is up to you. The villaware is on the left, kitchenaid on the right.

That is the close up. If you would like see the full picture it is here:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lnrobin
    17 years ago

There are many villaware products. Which one specifically is being mentioned? Will this product strain the juice?

• melva02
    17 years ago

Lnrobin, this is the Villaware food strainer. It makes a pulp, removing only the seeds, cores, and skins of fruit & vegetables. To get a juice with no pulp, you could then strain it through a muslin bag hung over a bowl & left overnight. To get a clear juice, you can't push on the pulp or little bits will get through the bag.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: villaware food strainer

• lnrobin
    17 years ago

Thanks, Melva02. I looked up the web site. Is this all I need or a part of a bigger machine? It looked like it connected to something else.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

That's the whole thing. It's designed to be clamped to a table or board and turned by hand.

However, you can buy a VillaWare with a motor attachment or a one-piece motorized strainer, though I'm not sure it is designed to work with other than tomatoes or apples.

I've appended another picture below that may illustrate for you how the VillaWare is set up.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: VillaWare Strainer

• lnrobin
    17 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I think I will try this. I squeezed by hand, through a cloth bag, 7 gallons of blackberries. Needless to say, my hands are still sore after 3 days.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Wow! No wonder you're anxious to find an alternative. As users will tell you, the VillaWare can be invaluable during canning season, if you buy the additional screens.

Carol

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Since just did alot of black berries this weekend this one caught my eye. Some great pictures are still here to see too.

ML

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Sorry I removed my orginal link at Photo Bucket, but I figured after about 2 years it was time to take it off. As mentioned elsewhare, its now sold under many different names Roma, Prago Trade, Weston, etc), as many brands also refer to a 'model 200'. The photo here depicts the recent design. Whereas older models had big screws and wingnuts on each side of the conical sieves to hold them onto teh aluminuum housing, and offered little proctection for leakage out the shaft. The closeups above show a couple of sieves and the smaller one appears to be the one packed with the unit. The larger holed one looks like its meant for pumpkin, etc. There is even a smaller holed one for seedy berries too, as well as a shoter auger for the big grape seeds. And lastly a 3/16 inch hole sieve for minced tomatoes and salsa.

{{gwi:875174}}