Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush Jelly?

Posted by jhawes Indiana (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 19:51

I have made rose jelly for several seasons now and am interested in making other floral jellies. I love butterfly bushes. To me they smell like some kind of candy. I don't know if they are poisonous or not. I can't find anywhere that says they are. I know lilacs can be used for jelly, so I figure why not butterfly bush. I am wondering if anyone has ever made butterfly bush jelly and if so I'd be interested in what your results were. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush Jelly?

Asclepias tuberosa L. (butterfly weed) is considered poisonous in that it has potential toxic cardiac glycoside and resinoid effects dependent on the amount consumed. All depends on if the risk is worth it to you.

Google pulls them up on several poisonous plant lists if you search by botanical name.

Dave

o

I am familiar with butterfly weed, it is poisonous. It's a shorter orange perennial that often grows wild in meadows. I am talking about Buddleia Davidii (butterfly bush). It's more of a bush with white, pink, or purple plume shaped blossoms, similar to lilacs. Thanks though.

o

PFAF is usually pretty good at telling you if a plant is, or ever has been, used for food. It seems that Buddleja has not. On the other hand it is not listed as poisonous either.

Using botanical names is useful to avoid confusion when seeking information about a plant, especially since common names are not the same everywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleja info.

o

Buddleia Davidii is listed as "assumed safe" but "ingestion as teas, herbs, or medicines" is not recommended on U of CA Safe and Poisonous Plants website.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: U of CA Safe and Poisonous Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here