Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skeip

Best corn for grinding

skeip
12 years ago

I tried the search engine here, but well, we all know about that, and there is just too much info on the internet, as always! I am looking for recommendations on the best corn to grow for grinding into meal / flour. I am currently grinding Nothstein Dent, but I just feel it could be better. Someone suggested plain yellow popcorn, but that seems a little too simple. Grainlady, or anyone have any recommendations. Id like to order the seed and grow it this season. TYIA.

Steve

Comments (2)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

I personally really liked Northstine Dent overall, its hardy and productive. I've grown a lot of variety of flours, dents, and flints, and each has its own pluses and minuses, of course.

Some of the flour corns I got from Native Seeds/SEARCH in Arizona were my favorites in terms of the quality of the finished product, a really nice, soft cornmeal or a soft fluffy flour, but I found most of their varieties prone to rusts and weird foliage spots here in cool and dampish Michigan, which I guess makes sense for varieties used to the dessert Southwest. Of the ones I tried, I think the most impressive was the one in the link -- very large kernels but so quick and easy to grind.

Here is a link that might be useful: My favorite of the corns from Native Seeds/SEARCH

• skeip
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Denninmi, for the comments and recommendations. It's not that I'm dissatisfied with Nothstine Dent, I guess as a gardener and cook that I'm always looking for that next best thing. I may just stick with what I have!

Steve