Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zemmaj

Mango recipe?

zemmaj
17 years ago

I got this recipe off the internet, anyone has any idea why it would NOT be shelf stable? Seems to me to have both the sugar and the acid needed. Any idea. I am looking to use up five or six dozen mangoes and looking for different recipes, anyone has one?

thanks

Marie

Mango Lime Refrigerator Jam

An unusual jam combination if you are looking for something different. PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT shelf stable jam - once sealed in jars, it must be stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Adapted from Cooking Pleasures magazine.

5 cups 45 min 30 min prep

4 cups ripe mangoes, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 3 pounds)

2 tablespoons fresh lime zest, finely grated

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 1/2 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin

3 cups sugar

Combine mangoes, lime zest, lime juice, lemon juice, and pectin in a large stockpot.

Mash, using a potato masher until well blended.

It can be a little chunky, but really try to crush everything together well.

Cook over HIGH heat 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture come to a rolling boil, stirring the entire time.

When jam is boiling and you can't stir it down, gradually add sugar- stirring the whole time.

Return to a full boil over high heat and cook 2 minutes exactly, sitrring occasionally.

Remove from heat.

Ladle into hot, sterilized canning jars and seal with hot, sterilized canning lids.

Store in refrigerator,unopened,up to 6 months or in freezer.

Once opened, use up in several weeks.

Comments (24)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The amount of actual acid is quite low. Also, mango is dense. I suppose it could be canned, but you may need pressure canning.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

You can take a look at the amount of acid in this certo recipe from their website. It has way too much sugar for my taste though.

Certo Mango Jam
    4 cups prepared fruit (about 5 medium fully ripe mangoes)
    2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
    7-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
    1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
    2 pouches CERTO Fruit Pectin

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Melly, that recipe has a lot less acid, not sure if its enough, due to the density of the mangos. Yes, 7 + cups of sugar would be way too sweet., although it may be more of a preservative if made with that amount.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

All that sugar probably affects the density wouldn't you think?

• tietie
    17 years ago

here are some recipes that I have for mangos. the jam is absolutely my favorite. I haven't tried the others because good mangos are hard to come by. Good luck!

MANGO RASPBERRY JAM
    3 cups finely chopped, peeled & pitted mangoes
    2 T bottled lemon juice
    1 cups crushed red respberries
    1 pkg powdered pectin
    5 ½ cups sugar

Combine mangoes, raspberries, lemon juice & pectin in large sauce pan. Bring slowly to boil over high heat, stir frequentl. Add sugar, stir until dissolved. Return to boil. Boil hard 1 minute stirring constantly, remove from heat and skim foam.
    Ladle into hot jars, leave 1/4" headspace. Wipe rim, add two piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes

makes 7 half pints
    Mangoes

CANNED MANGOES
    Wash mangoes, drain. Peel and slice. Make a light or medium syrup. Add mango slices and cook 2 minute in syrup. Pack hot into jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Add syrup. Remove air bubbles.
    Place on lids, process in water bath canner , 15 minutes pints, 20 minutes quarts.

MANGO SALSA
    6 cups diced unripe mango (about 3 to 4 large, hard green mangoes)
    1½ cups diced red bell pepper
    ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion
    ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1¼ cups cider vinegar (5%)
    ½ cup water
    Caution: Handling green mangoes may irritate the skin of some people in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.) To avoid this reaction, wear plastic or rubber gloves while working with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after touching or cutting raw green mangoes until all traces are washed away.
    Yield: About 6 half-pint jars

Procedure:
    Wash and rinse half-pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.
    Wash all produce well. Peel and chop mango into ½-inch cubes. Dice bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Finely chop yellow onions. Combine all ingredients in an 8-quart Dutch oven or stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce to simmering, and simmer 5 minutes
    Fill hot solids into clean, hot half-pint jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Cover with hot liquid, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.

Process half-pints in a boiling water canner for 10 mins 0-1,000 ft, 15 mins 1,001,-6,000 ft, and 20 mins above 6,000 ft. Let cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours and check for seals.
    Developed at The University of Georgia,

This is from foodtv.com you can substitute habs for jalapenos.

MANGO & JALAPENO JELLY
    Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia
    Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Yield: 4 small jars

3 cups ripe mango, small dice
    6 jalapenos, small dice
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    6 1/2 cups sugar
    2, 3-ounce pkg. liquid pectin

Boil 5 clean jelly jars in at least one inch of water while making the jelly. Do not boil lids! Only heat them to make them sterile.
    Combine all ingredients except the pectin in a large saucepan and boil for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for ten minutes. Stir in pectin and boil for 10 minutes or until jelled. To test, dip a metal spoon in at right angles to the surface of the jelly and lift it about 12 inches above the surface. While still at right angles, allow the drops to "sheet" off. If they do not come together and sheet off, continue boiling and test again.
    Ladel hot jelly into hot jars and adjust lids with bands finger tight.

Process in Boiling Water canner for 10 minutes

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Melly,
    With as much sugar in your recipe, its probably safe to say that the sugar would act more like a preservative or cure for the mangos. Thats why most jams are fairly stable, its due to the very high sugar content. But, when making jams without, or very little, sugar, then you must consider using more acid to prevent early spoilage.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Wouldn't the canned mangoes need the addition of some lemon juice? One of my sources says that their ph is in the range of 3.9 to 4.6.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

This is what I have on their ph
    Mangoes, ripe 3.40 - 4.80
    Mangoes, green 5.80 - 6.00

This mango sauce does have added acid to it. From National Center for Home Food Preservation.
    Mango Sauce
    5½ cups or 3¼ pounds mango puree (use slightly under-ripe to just-ripe mango) (from about 5 pounds, or 5 to 6 whole, large, non-fibrous mangoes, as purchased)
    6 tablespoons honey
    4 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
    ¾ cup sugar
    2½ teaspoons (7500 milligrams) ascorbic acid
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Caution: Handling green mangoes may irritate the skin of some people in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.) To avoid this reaction, wear plastic or rubber gloves while working with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after touching or cutting raw green mangoes until all traces are washed away.
    Yield: About 6 half-pint jars

Storage Notes: Store in a dark place, away from direct light, to preserve the color of the canned sauce. This sauce is best used within 4 to 6 months; otherwise, discoloration may occur.

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse half-pint canning jars; keep hot until ready to use. Prepare lids according to manufacturer's directions.

1. Wash, peel, and separate mango flesh from seed. Chop mango flesh into chunks and purée in blender or food processor until smooth.

1. Combine all ingredients in a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven or stockpot and heat on medium-high heat, with continuous stirring, until the mixture reaches 200°F. The mixture will sputter as it is being heated, so be sure to wear gloves or oven mitts to avoid burning skin.

1. Fill hot sauce into clean, hot half-pint jars, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids.

1. Process in a boiling water canner using half pints, 15 min.

Mangoes, Green
    Hot Pack Make a light or medium syrup. Select green, firm, non-fibrous fruit. Caution: Handling green mangos may irritate the skin of some people in the same way as poison ivy. (They belong to the same plant family.) To avoid this reaction, wear plastic gloves while working with raw green mango. Do not touch your face, lips or eyes after touching or cutting green mangos until all traces are washed away.

Peel and slice, discarding pits. Place fruit slices in hot syrup and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Fill fruit into hot jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Cover with boiling syrup, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust twp-piece metal canning lids.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Green Mangoes in a boiling-water canner.
    Packed hot, pints 15 min. Quarts 20 min.

The only mango jam recipe I found is for a freezer jam, other than the recipe posted in the first post.
    I made mango freezer jam that is really good. Has a nice fresh mango taste. I also have plain frozen mangoes which are also good.

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ball's Mango Raspberry recipe contains about the same amount of fruit as the recipe I posted, less acid and only marginally more sugar which is necessary for pectin, which I never use. Ball also has that canned mango recipe which adds no acid and can be done in light syrup, which means very little sugar. So what is the difference?
    If I accept Ball as a source, I could do it and I think I could add a bit of sugar to the top recipe if I also add a bit more lime juice to counterbalance the sweetness. I made the mango raspberry jam yesterday and must say that, to my utter dismay, it tasted pretty much like peach raspberry jam, which means I wasted 14 amazing mangoes.

Linda Lou, what do you think?

Marie

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

The raspberries are more acid than the mango which may explain some of the difference.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

From the Joy of Cooking All About Canning and Preserving
    Mango Preserves
    Makes about nine half-pint jars.
    6 1/2 pounds of firm-ripe mangoes
    But the flesh off the seed in 1/2 inch wide slice, then cut the slices crosswise in half. Gently mix with:
    6 cups sugar
    Steep 4 to 8 hours or in the fridge for 24. Stir in:
    1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

Comparing these two recipes, I'd be willing to make the one you posted, with the caveat that I wouldn't mash them. I appears that you could make it without the pectin if you wanted.
    1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
    Cook in 2 batches. Boil rapidly, stirring frequently, to the jelling point. Remove from the heat and skim off nay foam. Combine the batches and plump in fridge overnight. Next day, return preserves to a boil before ladling into hot jars. Process 10 minutes.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

The only reason that jam isn't shelf-stable is that it's not boiling-water-bath processed. Since it's (relatively) low-sugar, open kettle canning isn't sufficient to assure prevention of mold or spoilage if it's shelved.

The recipe can be processed BWB 10 minutes like any other jam. However, once opened it probably won't keep as long as traditional preserves, even refrigerated.

Otherwise there's no problem I can see.

Carol

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks y'all

Carol, I guess I just assumed I would BWB it so I could see no problem with the recipe. Ball and Bernardin have lots of canned recipes with no sugar at all and this one has a fair amount of acid. I would never open kettle can anything, especially since I sell my stuff and don't plan on killing anyone.

I will let you know how it turns out, I am dying to try it, especially after the raspberry one (which is good, just does not taste very much of mangoes anymore).

Marie

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Yes, I'll be interested to know what you think of the mango preserve, Marie. I cut and pasted the recipe for a future try.

I think the editors of Cooking Pleasures were operating under the assumption that it's easier to insist the preserve be refrigerated than explain BWB to an audience unfamiliar with home food preservation practices.

I've made raspberry-peach, two different versions, but have decided to abandon the idea. One used pectin, which I didn't care for. Too sweet and bland. The other was a troublesome traditional lower-sugar preserve; I didn't mind the trouble but due to the variety of peach the color between the two fruits ended up an odd pale coral, which I didn't much like. I've not succeeded in finding a method of making Peach Melba preserves which didn't subsume much of the peach character under the raspberries.

I have thought I might have better luck using two preserving pans and putting a layer of raspberry preserve in the bottom half of the jars with peach preserve above. That might be striking.

Did you ever make the blueberry banana preserves one of your clients had requested?

Carol

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Carol

I have not tried the blueberry banana jam yet, but I am in full blown preserving season. I am not planning on both fixing fresh fruits and making jams through customers like I did last year lol. I also have to empty my three fruit freezers if I am to freeze more stuff this year. On the upside, the weather is nice and cool to make preserves and I can try any fruit combination since I have about 25 different kinds of fruits available. Next two weeks will be devoted to orange marmalade, probably 400 jars of it. It's a good seller but takes a hell of a long time to make.

I find strawberries, raspberries and blueberries very assertive. I like the peach raspberry jam I make, and I made the same recipe with peach and blueberry. Not too much sugar either, they are probably the jams I make with the least sugar, but at least, I don't follow recipes with pectin. My rhubarb strawberry jam contains about 85% rhubarb, otherwise you cannot taste the rhubarb for the strawberries. Wonder how banana and bluberries will fare. I am thinking less blueberries, more banana but who knows.

I got five cases of bananas last week so I must use them up too, I guess strawberry banana and chocolate banana jams are in order, and they are yummy too. I also make one with apples, banana oranges and lemons, which is pretty good.

The more books I look at, the more I read here, the more work I have to do lol. So many recipes, so little time....

Anyway, I will let you know how this mango lime taste like but not today, since I had to go get the limes but we have a storm. Time to go figure out what I did last year when I made mango orange vanilla jam....

have a great day
    Marie

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Once in a while I succumb and make a preserve with commercial pectin for the sake of trying something new but otherwise, except for pepper jellies I don't use it. Invariably the results don't suit me.

Mango orange vanilla. Now that sounds wonderful. I've made Helen Witty's recipe for an "adult" mango or peach preserve that calls for brown sugar and rum. And of course Christine Ferber's pure peach preserves are delectable.

I made some notes on the peach-raspberry at the time. In retrospect it's clear I need to alter the proportions - more peach, less raspberry. Another thought I had was raspberry juice and peach chunks so that the peaches are suspended in raspberry jelly. One of my greatest successes this past season was a raspberry-currant preserve using raspberries and currant juice. That was amazing.

I was interested in the whole concept of blueberry-banana; I'm wondering about the aesthetics of that combination the color.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

Marie, you need to be careful when using banana in the jam recipes, they are low acid and need added acid to make them safe to can. Banana, yellow 5.00 - 5.29
    Remember it must be 4.6 or lower in ph to safely water bath can something. My concern is with the chocolate banana. Chocolate is also low acid. I know you can pair it with raspberries, but banana is a totally different ph level. Raspberries 3.22 - 3.95

I made raspberry mango jam. I was disappointed in it. The mango flavor got lost.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Linda Lou, we seem to have had the same experience with the raspberry-mango or raspberry-peach combinations.

If I remember correctly, the blueberry-banana I suggested was an Alaska Extension recipe, so that would be fine.

I think Katie's Banana Split Conserve is still on the Forum. She used cocoa in that recipe and quite a bit of lemon juice. Have you tried that one? I've never made any kind of banana jam.

Carol

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

I also found the raspberry won when I raspberry rhubarb jam.

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

No, I haven't tried the banana split conserve. I am diabetic, so I haven't made many new things for a while.

• led_zep_rules
    17 years ago

I would concur that skipping the BWB part is why the mango jam in the original recipe is supposed to be refrigerated. I have made mango jam/sauce twice, added very little sugar (the super ripe mangoes were so sweet) so about 1 cup sugar to 4 cups mango, but did add lime juice for acidity. Regular BWB processing. Kept very well, no change of color, either, and very popular with my friends.

In the mango raspberry jam, I can see raspberries overwhelming the mango taste maybe, but it could just be the huge amount of sugar ruined the flavor experience. I am horrified when I read traditional pectin recipes and how much sugar they have in them. I just throw lots of lime juice into my jams to be sure they are acidic enough and only add sugar to taste.

I am really taken with the idea of chocolate banana jam. Yum! Made chocolate black raspberry jam the past two years, it is divine. Also made black raspberry-goostberry jam last year. Despite wanting to eat it all myself, I have given a few jars as gifts to favorite relatives.

I have found that older people, losing their taste buds probably, like more sugar in their jams. So I make some jam with more sugar than I would like just to give as gifts to my aunts and my mom.

Marcia, who hasn't been hanging around gardenweb much, and feels sort of like she was skipping out

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Marcia, the first jam, which did call for commercial pectin, was very high sugar, very disappointing. But the second preserve was actually quite low sugar and I didn't care for it either, though for different reasons. In that case, aside from the color issue, the raspberry just overwhelmed the peaches. It almost seemed a compatibility issue. There really wasn't enough sugar for the raspberries, which were excessively tart but sufficient for the peach. It just didn't come together, which was surprising, because the recipe came from "Gourmet Preserves Chez Madelaine" and in every other respect her recipes have been wonderful.

I still like the concept but I'm going to have to rethink my approach if I want to attempt this again.

Carol

• zemmaj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I finally made the Mango lime jam, which I will call mango lime marmalade. It is excellent if I may say so myself. I am giving you the recipe I followed. I might have put one more lb of mango had I had it but I did not. I am not disapointed however. The color is a beautiful acid yellow and the mangoes did not dissolve because of the way I made it so it is really a marmalade, not a jam. The taste is zesty and the lime is fairly strong but the mango taste comes true, it is very pleasant. I added a bit of sugar after tasting it about midway through cooking, it was too sour and the lime taste was too strong.

Marie's Mango Lime Marmalade

1 1/2 lb lime
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    4 1/2 lb mango cubed
    12 cups sugar

slice limes very thin, add 9 cups of water and the lemon juice,and soak 24 hours. Bring pulp to boil and cook about 30 minutes, til you can cut the lime peel with a spoon. Let cool completely (the mix is almost set at that point), add cubed mango and leave overnight. Bring to boil, add sugar and cook til set. BWB.

I got 17 250ml jars out of this, almost 18.

If I had time to figure how to post pics here (I don't have a host), I could send you a pic of it, as well as ones of the paradise jelly I made, which is of the most beautiful red I have ever seen. And yummy too. Made with quinces, apples and cranberries, can you say pectin?

I am also going to add a new post with some of the recipes I was asked for, some a long while ago(hummm, Carol, that would be for you), sorry it took me so much time to respond. My books are no longer home as I cook in my store's kitchen but my computer is still in my house.

Marie

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Marie. I cut and pasted your version.

I thought this might be a really pleasant preserve. I like that two or three-day process. I've had such good luck with doing preserves that way - greater integrity of the fruit and much more intense flavor.

Carol

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner