Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different flavor after canning

Posted by bksinaz z9 AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 23:11

I canned some beef stew (ball recipe) about three or four weeks ago. I recently opened a jar and found that the flavor was very different then the day I made it. One of the herbs I used was thyme and I think that is what might have changed. The change was not for the better, but it was not so bad that we could not eat it.

Any insight to this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different flavor after canning

It is well known that herbs and spices will change during processing and with shelf time. Some become stronger and some fade.

Make notes if you like the recipe overall and either cut back the amount or add when reheating.

Carol

o

Thanks... I will omit the herbs and spices next time. Then add them upon reheating.

o

I have not really noticed a different taste to my canned stuff but I have noticed a different smell to the canned vs. fresh especially in meat.

It reminds me of canned tuna. So I let it vent then use it. It tastes fine and has not gotten us sick or anything but the smell can make me pause at first, when I open the jars.

Is this is normal? I have been using broth in the meat to keep it from getting dry during storage. Today when I canned the hamburger I did not add broth. Hoping to prevent the "canned smell."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here