Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bksinaz

Different flavor after canning

bksinaz
11 years ago

I canned some beef stew (ball recipe) about three or four weeks ago. I recently opened a jar and found that the flavor was very different then the day I made it. One of the herbs I used was thyme and I think that is what might have changed. The change was not for the better, but it was not so bad that we could not eat it.

Any insight to this?

Comments (3)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

It is well known that herbs and spices will change during processing and with shelf time. Some become stronger and some fade.

Make notes if you like the recipe overall and either cut back the amount or add when reheating.

Carol

• bksinaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks... I will omit the herbs and spices next time. Then add them upon reheating.

• norwayaha
    11 years ago

I have not really noticed a different taste to my canned stuff but I have noticed a different smell to the canned vs. fresh especially in meat.

It reminds me of canned tuna. So I let it vent then use it. It tastes fine and has not gotten us sick or anything but the smell can make me pause at first, when I open the jars.

Is this is normal? I have been using broth in the meat to keep it from getting dry during storage. Today when I canned the hamburger I did not add broth. Hoping to prevent the "canned smell."