Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Soup--veggies overcooked--suggestions

Posted by jill2761 Southeast Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 23:39

I made a batch of chicken soup tonight using the Ball Blue Book recipe, which said to simmer all ingredients for 30 minutes. The soup tastes just fine, but the carrots and celery are already very soft--and the soup hasn't even been processed yet.

I realize now that I could have done the veggies as a simple hot pack by heating them in the soup mixture for only 5 minutes, but what's done is done. The question is, what would you do with it? If I can it, the veggies will probably be mush. Any suggestions? It contains chicken stock, diced chicken, onions, celery, and carrots. I was planning on adding either rice or noodles when opening the jars.

Thanks,

Jill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Soup--veggies overcooked--suggestions

What to do with it? Now not much you can do except maybe freeze it instead of canning it. In the future bigger vegetable chunks and less pre-cooking.

PC soups will always have a softness to the vegetables just as commercial canned soup does but as you discovered the 30 mins of cooking isn't needed.

Better luck next time.

Dave

o

I decided not to can it, already knowing it would be overprocessed. We ate it for supper and will have leftovers tomorrow. I still wanted to can chicken soup, so I did another batch, with my stock and chicken, just adding the veggies at the end for their 5 minutes of simmer time. As you suggested, I also cut them a little larger. The jars are out of the canner, but I haven't tried the soup yet. I don't know how it will turn out, but I wanted to try it.

I've been a busy girl the last couple of days. In addition to the chicken soup, I also canned 7 quarts of stock, several jars of the white bean chicken chili recipe that Carol posted a while back, plus the plain canned chicken.

Jill

o

We do mixed veggies (carrots, onions, celery, etc) separately from the chicken because of the difference in the processing times, then mix when we want a meal. We usually plan on one qt veggies to one pt chicken. Veggies are not as soft that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here