Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

nut milk

pqtex
12 years ago

We had a large crop of pecans this year and I have been making a variety of things from them. One of the big successes has been the fresh nut milk. It is similar to almond milk or soy milk that is sold in the store (but better, because it is fresh and homemade). It does not keep long, so I make small batches and refrigerate it for a few days only.

I know dairy milk should not be canned. I am very careful about using approved recipes and guidelines, but I'm curious about non-dairy "milk" made solely from pecans and water. I have no idea what canning would do to taste or quality, but what about safety? Nuts are approved for canning, but what about nuts as a watery liquid?

Anyone have any information/input?

Thanks, Jill

Comments (6)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Since this would all be a guess, I would suggest you freeze some and then see how it is. I would try just about a pint or so, thaw in fridge, and then taste it.

I would not can it since it would be basically making up your own directions.

• smdane05
    12 years ago

I think the canning would affect the natural oils in the pecans. I wouldn't can. I am interested in your recipe for pecan milk. :)

• pqtex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Both of you confirmed what I thought would be the answer. I will try freezing small batches and see how it does.

Pecan milk is simple to make. I based it on internet recipes for almond milk, which indicate a 1:4 ratio of nuts to water, but I find it too watery. Maybe it's the difference between pecans and almonds, or maybe it's just me, but I increase the ratio of nuts for a fuller flavor.

Some recipes indicate soaking the nuts a few hours or overnight, some say it isn't necessary. I tried it both ways and find it tastes better and sweeter if the nuts are soaked in water overnight.

Recipe: Pecan Milk

2 cups pecans (I measure them prior to soaking, not after). Soak them overnight, then drain and rinse. Put the soaked, drained, rinsed pecans in the blender and add 4-5 cups of water, plus flavorings as desired. I add honey or agave nectar to taste, nutmeg & vanilla. Blend until frothy and creamy white. My blender isn't very big, so I have to do this in two batches.

I strain the mixture by suspending a nut milk bag (or jelly bag) over the mouth of a 1/2 gallon ball jar and pour the mixture in. Use the back of a spoon to keep the mixture flowing through, when mostly strained, the bag can be squeezed to get all the liquid out. You can let this drain in the refrigerator overnight if you wish. There isn't much flavor left in the residue in the bag after straining and squeezing, but I have read it can be dehydrated and used as nut flour. Haven't tried that yet.

It isn't necessary to sweeten or spice the milk...but that is the way we like it. I was spending $3.69 per half-gallon of the Very Vanilla Soy milk that my husband likes. Now I'm making only pecan milk and saving the money. We really like it, but I wouldn't do this if I had to buy the pecans, as they are too expensive. I'm lucky to have a lot of pecan trees that had a really good production this year. I have not tried pecan milk (unflavored) in cooking recipes yet, but I will try it soon.

Jill

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

You are so blessed to have the pecans. They cost $12 a lb. here.

• smdane05
    12 years ago

Thanks Jill! My grandfather gave me a ridiculous amount of pecans so I will have to try this!

• pqtex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just to let you know of the test results: Freezing the pecan milk was a failure. The texture, color and taste were all adversely affected. My husband continued to use it on his cereal so it wasn't wasted, but I definitely would not freeze the nut milk again. I guess I will have to make it fresh every 3-4 days.

Jill