Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Best white beans for canning

pixie_lou
10 years ago

I've canned many a bean in my day. Dried beans, plain. But yesterday was my first time canning white beans. I used canellini beans. They turned to mush in the canner. Even with the addition of pickle crisp. Is there another white bean that holds up better in the canning process? I use the NCHFP quick soak instructions, with the addition of 1/4 tsp of pickle crisp per quart.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

We prefer Great Northern here. They don't break down quite as much as Canellini but will still mush somewhat. FAIK it is just the nature of the white varieties - they are softer.

The best variety wife and I have found for canning is Anasazi (a mixed red and white color). They taste great, are easier to digest (less gassy), and hold up well to the PC.

Like you we add Pickle Crisp to all our canned beans.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

Pardon me for asking, but I'm curious, why would you can dried beans instead of just cooking them when you are ready to use them?

For a quick meal maybe?

I agree with Dave on his preference of the Great Northern beans. I think they are the best tasting white bean.

I like the Anasazi also, but I can't tell much difference on the "gassy" part, I love beans, but I can look at a bean and get gas! ;)

That reminds me, I need to order some Anasazi seed, I lost mine last summer due to the cool wet weather.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

would you can dried beans instead of just cooking them when you are ready to use them?

It is a question we get here often and the answer is always once you try it you'll never go back to just keeping dried ones.

Fast meal prep times, improved flavor, ease of use, much longer shelf life than dried, ready-to-eat, greater recipe flexibility for use, etc,

Dave

• elisa_z5
    10 years ago

much longer shelf life than dried? I thought dried lasted nearly forever, no?

I just did my very first pressure canning, and I'm ready to branch out. I've got so many dried beans from my garden, and never end up eating them because of how long they take to cook.

"improved flavor" -- so they actually taste better if you can them first?

Anybody ever can Vermont Cranberry -- do they fall apart?