Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KitchenAid foodmill for grape or apple juice?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 7:54

I've been thinking about buying the KitchenAid foodmill attachment for my mixer and I've read the reviews that say it works great for applesauce and tomato juice/sauce, but what about grape juice or apple juice/cider? Has anyone tried these? Would you warm the grapes first to soften the skins and get the most flavor? Do the grape seeds jam this attachment? Perhaps seedless grapes would work better? How about apples, could you run shredded apples through this foodmill in order to make apple cider? I assume you would get some pulp in the juice as well. Any personal experiences using the KA foodmill to make fruit juices would be welcome.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KitchenAid foodmill for grape or apple juice?

It isn't going to make apple juice or grape juice, but a puree.
The best thing for making juice is a steam juicer.

Here is a link that might be useful: steam juicer

o

Thanks for the response Linda Lou. I've used a borrowed steam juicer before and they do make nice clear juice, but it's rather slow for doing large quantities and seems to leave a lot of juice in the pulp. I was hoping for a faster method. Perhaps I should look into building a press instead.

o

I have a steam juicer and a couple of food mills, all of which come into play in good fruit years. The grapes do especially well in the steamer. We've been avoiding buying a cider mill/press,but will probably break down and do it this year if the fruit set is good on the apple trees.

We have been successful making apple juice, pear nectar and wine, but can't make real cider without raw juice. For that you need an apple grinder/press.

o

Planatus, I've been thinking some about building my own juice press. Have you seen any designs on the web that you like? There are various homemade presses shown on YouTube. I like the one at the following link as I already have a small hydraulic bottle jack I could use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade cider press

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here