Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthieg__tx

Sauer Kraut

ruthieg__tx
13 years ago

Haha not not time to start gardening except for a few cold weather things. My garden still needs a lot of clean up too..........but.........I bought `12 cabbage plants and 4 bundles of onions and planted them yesterday. I have them covered at the moment.......not because of the cold but because the rabbits will get them when they are really young so I cover them. I still have two bundles of onions to put in the ground.......

Well it's a start...We'll have another freeze or two but shouldn't be anything to serious but you never know. Mother Nature doesn't like us to start gardening till about mid April and I know that because I have put too many tomato plants in the ground in March only to have her smack me good.........so time to get out and start the clean up..

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I think we're all getting anxious for Spring - It was 25F here when I got up this morning and none of yesterdays snow has begun to melt....not typical weather for last week of Feb, and not welcome either :)

Isn't it funny how our Z8's are different - tomatoes here need some protection until about May 1, Mother's Day to be safest.

I've only seen one wild rabbit here in all the years I've gardened. It seemed to prefer lawn clover and really caused very minimal damage to anything else - a little foliage from nasturtiums, some lower raspberry leaves, nothing too important. Now the raccoons are another story!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I have a bunch of tomatoes and keep having to delay planting them because we're having unusually late freezes here in AZ. I hope we don't go straight from winter to 115 degrees or I'll have no garden at all.
    Predicting freeze, rain and possible snow just slightly higher than us ( to 2,000 feet and we're 1,800) so we may even see some flurries this weekend. I usually plant my warm weather stuff on Feb 15. I put my cuke seeds in the ground last weekend but held-off on planting my tomato plants, just had a feeling. Glad I have a bunch of back-up babies, too!
    Wondering, I have a bunch of turnips and cabbage that have been in the fridge for too long. Do you think I can still make kraut out of them? They still look ok, despite two months in the back of the fridge.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Rabbits can be repelled with blood meal sprinkled liberally around seedlings once a week or immediately after a rain.

Raccoons... I'll bet nobody here has a problem like I do or has trapped and relocated as many. Ditto possums.

• ruthieg__tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought some more onions today so OK smack me because it's too early.....but I bought 6 tomato plants....they will have to go into pots on the porch so I can move them in and out on freeze nights.......Here is the benefit........I will put them in gallon pots and when it's time to go in the ground.........I'll have at least 6 plants that are way ahead of the others....