Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepitlow

Peppers...can you digest them OK?

keepitlow
13 years ago

Made some meatloaf with bell peppers in them. Kept burping them all night. Can you digest peppers OK? I had heard if you skin them they digest better. Is this true? How do you skin them easily?

Thanks

Comments (17)

• pqtex
    13 years ago

I never skin them. I cook with peppers at least 3-4 times a week. I cook them a variety of ways, including large quantities in stuffed peppers and stir-fry. I also use them in smaller quantities in meatloaf, Chinese and Mexican dishes, in salmon patties, with omelets or hashbrowns. I also use them raw for dips and salads. I use them fresh when in season and canned and frozen for out-of-season. No one in our family has a problem with digesting them, although I have heard others voice your complaint before. I don't know the reason, but to answer your question, we all digest them with no problems, and I don't skin them. I love peppers.

• keepitlow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW...jill2761 Your very lucky. Just 1/4 of a bell pepper gives me hours of indigestion. Wish I could find some that worked for me as I like them too.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

Not much affects my digestion, but a cooked green bell pepper will give me heartburn - I do like them but don't eat them. A raw green bell pepper is fine, no problems with those. Peeled, unpeeled, doesn't matter, and no I can't explain it :)

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I can't eat Green Bell Peppers, and I know several others who can't either. I just don't bother to eat them. What I grow I allow to get red (ripe), and I only buy red.

• psittacine
    13 years ago

I don't always do well Green bells but have never had problems with red bells.. which I prefer anyway. Since the red pepper is the nutritionally superior, mature form of the green pepper, I've always assumed that the digestibility improvement comes from a change in the enzymes or maybe the fiber or cellulose structure changes. No matter, I just eat the red bells now. The green form of hotter peppers such as Anaheims or Jalapenos don't bother me at all though :D

• denninmi
    13 years ago

You might also try taking a digestive enzyme pill/chewable just before a meal that you know might cause problems. I can't remember the specific brand I tried, I think it was called Omnigest -- most any pharmacy should carry them. These are kind of like tablets for lactose intolerance or beano in that they contain digestive enzymes, but these specific pills have multiple types of enzymes for various foods. That might help.

• mikethemonk_myway_com
    13 years ago

I like the taste, but have the same problem, bad indigestion. This is ridiculous for me as i can eat THE HOTTEST chili peppers without a problem , and love it. I have a cast iron stomach and can eat just about any old thing, but green peppers just make me ill.

• abnorm
    13 years ago

This year I'm giving this variety a try:

Here is a link that might be useful: Park's Dolcetto Pepper

• mellyofthesouth
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you started this thread. I thought I was weird. I don't like to eat green bell peppers. I like them just fine the first time I taste them but I don't really enjoy burping them for hours. Red ones are much easier to digest.

• infonose
    10 years ago

I have the same problem with bells, though I haven't noticed it with spicy hot peppers. I am just learning about green smoothies and am getting a high quality blender that breaks down vegetables much finer than others. I find that I can have any combination of fruits and veggies together in a smoothie without getting gas. So I am wondering if this might help with bells. When I get the good blender I will experiment with a very tiny piece in a big smoothie with kefir and see how it goes. I also don't understand what the problem is.

• Kortnie Sabo
    8 years ago

I can usually eat anything but ever since I was little I remember onions and cooked bell peppers making me nauseous. Raw bell peppers are okay but as soon as they are cooked at all my stomach can't handle it. Im okay if onions are raw with tomato in a 50/50 ratio mix like bruschetta. Why do cooked bell peppers disagree so badly with me?

• defrost49
    8 years ago

We enjoyed onion, green pepper and sausage sandwiches this summer. I don't think I ate many raw green peppers. I've roasted some and dried some red bell peppers plus frozen slices of both red and green to use in winter cooking. It's funny. I think I was over 21 before I even realized you could eat green peppers raw. That was back in the 70s.

• CA Kate z9
    8 years ago

My stomach doesn't like green bell peppers but I'm OK if they are ripe.

• drmbear
    8 years ago

I wonder if the peppers would be more digestible for someone that has difficulty with them after fermenting. For the first time this year I fermented green beans, sweet peppers, hot peppers, and green tomatoes. The sweet peppers are amazing, with that slightly pickled, sour flavor, but still crisp and beautifully colored. I've been keeping a batch of sprouts going and making salads with the sprouts and pickled vegetables - it has been great.

• HU-871692188
    5 years ago

I cannot digest cooked pepper skin. This is something new only a year or so. Also, skin on mashed potatoes.

The skins stay with me all night, and after a cup of coffee they return. I know too much information, but help please.

• CA Kate z9
    5 years ago

Don't eat them. I can't either... at least not the green ones; once they turn red I'm OK. Peppers can be roasted over an open flame and the skins will slip-off. Potatoes can be peeled as well.