Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Frozen Rhubarb

Posted by missemerald 7 (Virginia) (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 9:16

So, I'm cleaning out the freezer and I discovered that I'd frozen way more rhubarb than I remembered doing last year (my plants were very prolific) and I thought I'd try to put some of it jars. I don't want to make any more jam-- have way too much of that already, and I've already made a ton of Victorian BBQ Sauce (Ball Book) which uses rhubarb and my family loves. Anyone have any good recipes for pie filling or something similar? The Ball book uses cinnamon and apples in their Strawberry Rhubarb filling which seems... odd. Also, I have friends that have strawberry allergies, can I substitute cherries for strawberries, if I make something for them?

Thanks so much!
Marcy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Frozen Rhubarb

Why not just can it plain? That way you can use it in multiple ways after opening, add whatever you want to it then. Since it is already going to be mushy when thawed that would be the best option. Plus that way you don't have to mess with the Clear Jel to make it into pie filling. You can add any thickener you want later.

Dave

PS: But yes you can sub the cherries if you wish. You can also mix in cranberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Stewed Rhubarb

o

I canned up about 50# this year, from fresh rhubarb, just cooked it til tender (don't know if I had to, or could have raw packed it). I'll be straining the juice off for jelly and pulp for jam later. Or maybe pie with the pulp.

o

This is from the Ball Complete Book and it's delicious: http://proverbsthirtyonewoman.blogspot.com/2013/05/canning-rhubarb-strawberry-pie-filling.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here