Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

wheaton replacement rubber gaskets

canishel
12 years ago

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum. I need rubber seals/gaskets for bail-type glass jars. The jars are "Wheaton 20", the outside diameter of the opening is slightly less than 1 7/8 inches (approximately 45 mm). The jars will be used for spices, not food preservation.

The Container Store, Weck, Lehman's, Amazon, and other Google and GW searches have not turned up anything. The smallest ring I've found so far has an interior diameter of about 2 1/4 inches.

Does anyone know of another source of these seals or alternative methods of sealing? My last resort is to modify black rubber/silicon gaskets from the hardware store.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Only 1 7/8" diameter? Even the small Euro bottle gaskets are 2 1/8" but I wonder if you could cut them down a smidge to make them work? The couple of Wheatons I have used a clear nylon ring but are 2 1/2".

They kind of sound similar in size to what are called GEM jars - antique canning jars that were made in Canada. I think they were 45 mm but I think they were screw on caps.

You might want to search for GEM jar lids. I'd also check out the Bernardin website and some of the Canadian canning suppliers. You also see them sometimes on eBay in the antiques and collectible jars category.

I'd also be tempted to call Lehman's and ask because it seems that can find just about anything along that line.

Dave

• canishel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Digdirt,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I checked GEM jars and Bernardin to no avail. My jars have the glass lids with bails to them on.
    eBay has a possibility: rubber squares to cut your own.

I'm sorely tempted just to get flat gaskets from the hardware store and cut them to the correct size. They shouldn't be toxic if washed, should they?

Thanks again.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I'm sorely tempted just to get flat gaskets from the hardware store and cut them to the correct size. They shouldn't be toxic if washed, should they?

That would all depend on the gasket material used. There are lots of different choices. Any thing that was labeled "food-grade" would be fine. You'd have to think outside the box a bit but the big box stores like Lowe's sell all sorts of flexible food-grade plastic things. Even food storage containers (those Tupperware type things) could work.

Or I'd just buy the ones made for jars - like the small ones from Lehman's - even tho they are a bit too big, sip out the 1/8-1/4" needed to make them the right size and glue the cut end back together. It would give you a good seal and no concerns for safety since you are using them for dry storage only.

JMO

Dave

• wifey_po
    9 years ago

Hi canishel - I see this was posted quite a while ago, but I have the exact same problem! I purchased some bail-type jars from a thrift store a while back, but most of the seals were too dry and brittle to use. I have been looking for what feels like an eternity to find some seals this size (1 7/8").

I came across your post in my search.

Did you ever find a solution? I'd be grateful to know. Thank you.

• canishel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wifey po,
    Nope, never found replacement seals.

• peachy2
    9 years ago

Hi, I am having the same problem finding these seals. I bought my jars at World Market and it looks like they still sell them so for the life of me I don't understand why we cant find the replacements.

I was thinking about using foam sheets that you can find at the craft store to make my own. The only problem with that is I am sure all the foam I find will be made in China which is a health concern for me. But the original seals where probably made there too.

http://www.michaels.com/search?q=foam+sheets

• Betsy
    7 years ago

Chris, I'd be interested in buying about 15 to 20 rings if you still have some. How much would they cost? I have the exact same issue.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Then click on the Connect with Chris Facebook link Blumenfeld posted above. That is how you contact Chris.

Dave

• Betsy
    7 years ago

Have done

• Lauren Thomas
    7 years ago

I need some too, Chris

• dragonflymsp_2
    4 years ago

Hey all- This is Chris, posted above as Blumenfeld5 (I can not get access to my old login profile, sadly, and had to create a new one).

I still have gaskets that fit the small Wheaton style jars. I keep them on hand now, because I have a large network of foodie/canning/preserving friends that pop up and need them. I now have them produced in white, food-grade silicone, which I find look a bit nicer when the jars are displayed in my kitchen as well as being very durable and not absorbing the strongest spice odors/flavors,

I sell them for $1.00/each plus postage to ship. I take Venmo and PayPal for payment. Feel free to email me at blumenfeld5 at gmail dot com to order a few for your own jars.

• HU-275452306
    4 years ago

Hi I just inherited some of these jars from my grandmother. I need some seals. They have a round flat lid with no hole in the middle. Do you think the circular ones with the hole would work? Thanks!

• canishel
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I can't offer any advice for your jars other than measuring the outside of the inner lip of the jar. The jars might have a code or number on the bottom.

If the lid is on an adult hand, the required diameter of the seal may be larger than 1 7/8".

You might try starting a new post with pix of both jar and lid.

HTH.