Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a clove of garlic a standardized measurement?

Posted by greenmulberry 5-Iowa (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 20, 09 at 10:25

It is often discussed that canning measurements are precise, and to be followed exactly, yet I often see recipes calling for a certain number of garlic cloves.

This causes me to have to "guess" about how much garlic to use, because I know that the garlic cloves I get are much bigger than standard. I have even had bulbs of the hardneck garlic (which usually have bigger cloves than softneck) that I grow and buy locally, that even though they appeared to be a standard size bulb, only contain three or four GIANT cloves! Once I had a clove as big as a walnut in the shell. Clearly these do not count as a single clove, so I chop them into smaller pieces and count those, guessing about what a standard size clove might be.

Even garlic purchased at the supermarket shows great variability in clove size. I am wondering if there is any standard measurement for what a clove "should" be, when describing recipes that call for garlic cloves. What about a teaspoon minced?

I always make a best guess, but I thought that this would be a interesting topic of conversation,I would like to know what people's thoughts are on the subject of "when do you decide a clove is too big to count as a clove?"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a clove of garlic a standardized measurement?

I think making a best guess is what you have to do...precise as possible but you have to use common sense too.

o

No, garlic cloves can be all sizes as you mentioned, some are tiny while others are very large. I grow the Music type here, and they do quite well and are always single layers and quite big cloves. They are a hard neck variety that is planted in fall and is harvested the following early summer. There is a scape that also needs to be cut off once they show up. These scapes take necessary nutrients from the bulbs. Depending on a recipe, garlic, like salt can be as much, or as little as you prefer. Most store bought are soft neck and do have many sizes in a single bulb. Check out elephant garlic. Milder, with huge cloves!

o

Of course elephant garlic is actually not garlic at all but a garlic flavored leek. All the same, a clove the size of a baseball is a bit much I think.

o

Actually the whole elephant garlic is about the size of a baseball, not a single clove. They are quite mild in any case. I tried growing many garlic types in the past, and was very impressed with Music. Right now, they are not being sold for growing as its past their planting time, which is the fall. Orders for Music will be accepted starting about Mid May to June, for fall planting. I add bone meal to my garlic trench prior to planting the individual cloves. My Music from this past summer garlic is now getting to a brown spot stage, so I must think about removing the skins and either pickling it, or chop and freeze it. Have about 15 whole bulbs left. This year, I hope to also have some decent shallots. The type I am growing are bigger than golf balls, and are next to the garlic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here