Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmulberry

Is a clove of garlic a standardized measurement?

greenmulberry
15 years ago

It is often discussed that canning measurements are precise, and to be followed exactly, yet I often see recipes calling for a certain number of garlic cloves.

This causes me to have to "guess" about how much garlic to use, because I know that the garlic cloves I get are much bigger than standard. I have even had bulbs of the hardneck garlic (which usually have bigger cloves than softneck) that I grow and buy locally, that even though they appeared to be a standard size bulb, only contain three or four GIANT cloves! Once I had a clove as big as a walnut in the shell. Clearly these do not count as a single clove, so I chop them into smaller pieces and count those, guessing about what a standard size clove might be.

Even garlic purchased at the supermarket shows great variability in clove size. I am wondering if there is any standard measurement for what a clove "should" be, when describing recipes that call for garlic cloves. What about a teaspoon minced?

I always make a best guess, but I thought that this would be a interesting topic of conversation,I would like to know what people's thoughts are on the subject of "when do you decide a clove is too big to count as a clove?"

Comments (4)