Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogwoodstar69

What Pressure Canner to buy????

Jamie M
13 years ago

I am looking to get my first pressure canner in the next month or so. I want one that will last as I hate having to replace something I have purchased, lol. With that being said, which is the better on to buy and which holds up better?

We will have an electric stove with coil top in our new house if this helps. Just not sure if I should go All American of Presto, any advice out there?

Jamie

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Lots of discussions here Jamie on the pros and cons of both brands but IMO it basically boils down to price and how much canning you plan to do. If you'd need something larger than the Presto 23 qt. then AA is your only option. If you will be doing smaller batches at one time then you can't beat the Presto 16 qt that comes with the optional 3 piece weights.

For the larger Presto optional 3 piece weight set is an extra $12.00 (part number 50332) is well worth the $$ so you don't have to get your gauge tested annually. The AA's don't have a gasket that may have to be replace in 10 years or so but that isn't worth the price difference in them IMO.

I have one of both and personally prefer my Presto because the weights are easier to monitor.

The larger AAs loaded may well be too much weight for your stove burner so a special canning element may be required.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: pressure canner discussions

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Like Dave I have the Presto and the All-American. I much prefer the All-American, which has the same 5-10-15 psi weight and gauge arrangement as the Presto. (I mean my model does.)

However, to answer in depth would really be re-inventing the wheel. It might be more productive for you to read the threads Dave has linked to and then return with any questions specific to your situation.

Carol

• Jamie M
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for you inputs as well as the links.

With that being said has anyone ordered from allamericancanner.com?

Jamie

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

That's Red Hill General Store and yes I have ordered things from them with no issues at all. But if you have decided on an All American then you are going to want to do some extensive shopping around before ordering.

There is a range of prices available for all their models, sales are often found that can save you many dollars. amazon.com runs specials on them from time to time as does eBay and canning pantry.

Googleing a model 921 for example finds prices from $199 to $285.

Dave

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

I'm with Dave on this one. Check out Ebay in particular. I bought an older 15 quart AA with fancy red handles, cake pans, canning rack, and original manuals for $35 plus about $20 shipping. You can't beat that price. I've used it the last 2 years with excellent results.

If you try ebay, use this search string. It is reasonably effective.

(pressure,canner) -(salad,sonex,ultrex,mirro*,presto)

If you want a presto, be sure to leave that word out in the string.

DarJones