Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BWB canning recipe sub (ground ginger for grated ginger root)?

Posted by eaglesgarden 6b - se PA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 10:41

I have all the ingredients pulled for a chutney, except for ginger root. I am planning to can this after work tonight, but I don't want to do it if it is unsafe. Anyway, the recipe calls for 1 tsp of grated ginger root. My family never uses that. We use ground ginger in pumpkin recipes, so I have that on hand.

The recipe calls for 1 tsp of grated ginger root, in a recipe that makes 64 oz. I figure the substitution shouldn't make a big difference. Am I correct?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BWB canning recipe sub (ground ginger for grated ginger root)

Assuming the rest of the recipe is a safe one then there are no safety issues with the ginger substitution. But I wouldn't sub 1 tsp of ground for 1 tsp of grated as the ground is much finer texture so measures differently. Maybe 1/2 tsp ground?

Dave

o

The recipe is from the Ball Complete Book, I think it's safe. ;^)

Thanks for the advice on the measurement.

o

Ground ginger is a POOR substitute for fresh grated ginger. Where I live it is available at every market in town.
Jim in So Calif

o

It wasn't a matter of availability, but a matter of unwillingness to purchase for a single recipe. I can understand why you would defend fresh ginger though. ;^)

o

Eaglesgarden: I guess because I am a cook and a person with taste.
I am not defending ginger anymore that I would "defend" any other important ingredient in a recipe. Boy, I could really run with this ball into ridiculousness.
If you replace a particularly significant taste (as fresh ginger is) with something that tastes completely different (powdered ginger), you will not get the same flavor results.
Try making your next BBQ steak out of beef jerky! If you have never eaten a steak, the dried jerky might taste OK.
If you are concerned about buying a knob of ginger (about 25 cents here), and having the balance go to waste, you may freeze it and grate it frozen into dishes you might make. It combines well with chicken dishes and chicken stock, a variety of pork dishes, and any number of Asian dishes.
After tasting a small amount, you will have an idea of what it might go with (pairs wonderfully with pineapple).
Jim in So Calif

o

I too would not substitute. A friend of mine once tried to substitute ground ginger for the root in a recipe I gave him for sesame noodles. It turned out terrible.

o

jimnGINGER,

I was making a joke, since your handle includes the word/name "ginger". I understand that substitutions alter the flavor. My concern was not with the flavor, but the safety. I appreciate your advice concerning ginger root, and will consider it more seriously in the future.

o

Eaglesgarden,
Now I feel dense!
My wife's nickname is Ginger.
I did NOT even make the connection between the question and my handle.
Jim in So Calif

o

Not to worry, Jim. We all have our moments. :^)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here