Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to freeze mustard greens?

Posted by vall3fam 9 CentralCA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 11:34

I'm being blessed with an abundance of mustard greens and need to get them harvested. How are they when frozen? I'm assuming the usual quick blanch then cold shock before freezing. But how to remove the excess water before freezing. I plan on putting them in foodsaver bags.

Any input and successes?

Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to freeze mustard greens?

A salad spinner will do nicely for water removal. It doesn't get all of it, but if they are placed single layer on a big towel, they should dry quite well. You can then bag and freeze.

o

I blanch mustard greens, collards, beet greens and kale before freezing.

o

That's the way I do mine, blanch, chill, dry and bag....I love greens and I raise and freeze lots and lots of different kinds.

o

Last summer, for the first time, I had planted about 15 areas with mixed salad greens. Bib, red leaf, and many other gourmet salad greens. I actually had way too much and can't freeze these without them turning to mush. I used an Oxo salad spinner after rinsing them off. I don't spray anything and they were very prolific and slow to bolt. I thought I may run out by August, so I planted about 8 more areas with the same mixes. These matured fast and I could pick all the way through September. Had so much I was giving away big 2 gallon zipper bags packed with the mixed greens. My grape tomatoes were late but the pickling cukes were good. The excess of these vegetables also were given away as I just can't live on salad alone every day. This year, I don't plan to plant as many, but will do a smaller planting in late May and another in July. Most were just fine with the summer heat too. I was very sick last summer, and used a 5 gallon plastic pail turned upside down to sit on while I picked. I just grabbed a clump and twist them off. Also added a few broccoli greens for a little tang. These gourmet greens are the kinds you see selling for well over $5 a pound. Everyone was loving them. Using organic origins of fertilizeers for the necessary nitrogen helped quite a lot too. I used fish meal and kelp meal as well as some of the other organic fertilizers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here