Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning venison - raw pack

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 12:04

I know I can raw-pack chunks of venison but can I do that also with ground venison? I would rather not cook it first unless absolutely necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning venison - raw pack

I don't see a raw pack option for any ground meat- and NCHFP recommends adding pork fat to venison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning ground meat

o

Agree. There is no raw pack provision for any ground meat. It needs to be pre-cooked and defatted first. Edited to add reason is that grinding meat increases the free fat content substantially.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 14:34

o

Question - if ground venison is so lean that they recommend adding pork fat to the ground venison, why wouldn't that be able to be canned raw? Is it because raw ground meat would tend to pack tighter than raw chunks/strips (and therefore density issue)?

o

The added fat is only if you are going to shape it into patties or balls per that part of the directions. Some fat is needed for it to hold its shape and sometimes venison doesn't have much.

If sauteing and packing it ground withOUT shaping - see the distinction in the instructions - then it isn't needed although I suppose you could add some for flavoring if you wanted since you be turning right around and removing it once cooked and before jarring it.

It is an either/or set of instructions but both are hot pack.

Dave

PS: personally I'll never raw pack any cut of venison ever again. The hot pack results in a much superior end product in both appearance and flavor so it is the only method we have used for years.

This post was edited by digdirt on Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 18:25

o

Haven't hot packed meat yet but based on raw pack beef cubes I did I have to say hot pack is probably better. Just looking for clarification since you said hot pack needed for defatting, and venison called for *added* fat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here