Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Blackberry or strawberry pepper jelly/jam recipe

jennieboyer
10 years ago

Hi All,

I am looking for a recipe for blackberry pepper jam or strawberry pepper jam. I can find some on the internet, but they all look to be "homegrown" and I don't look like they have been tested/approved. Does anyone have a recipe they can share or point me towards? Thanks!

Jennie

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Tested and approved recipe for them likely doesn't exist as it simply isn't a big demand item. You can always use the approved Habanero-Gold recipe or the Mayhaw-Pepper recipe and just sub peppers of choice and fruit of choice (as long as it is an acidic fruit). Whether you'll like the taste of the end result is another matter.

But there are lots of Jalapeno-Strawberry jam recipes available (most call for a fair amount of added lemon juice) and safety isn't a big concern with jams anyway. Mold is the only issue unless you get into trying to cut the sugar or use some sort of artificial sweetener..

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Are you looking for chile pepper and fruit combo or black pepper?

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dave, thanks for the feedback. It is strawberry and jalapeno ones I have found. Are blackberries acidic enough to sub for strawberries?

Ajsmama - I am looking for something like a strawberry/jalapeno one.

Thanks!

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

I've experimented with a lot of fruit/chili pepper jam combos. Turns out we only like chilis in our orange marmalade. I just use the recipes in the package of pectin. Then I added the chopped chili pepper which I "marinate" in an equal amout of lemon juice. So if I'm going to use 3 tablespoons of chopped peppers, I let it sit in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice for about an hour before adding to the jam. This acidified the peppers enough to reduce any concerns about the low acidity in chilis.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I've only done strawberry with black pepper (Ferber recipe), but have experimented with a little chipotle powder in blueberry lime preserves (not to my liking - may make BBQ sauce out of it). Apricot and pepper like Hab Gold, apple jelly with jalapenos (Ball Complete), and Peach Lime with Chile (like Peach Jam for a Cold Morning posted here, except lime juice like the Peach-Lime in Ellie Topp's book, and 1 Hinkelhatz pepper - that was really good).

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I've made a lot of strawberry/hot pepper jams, and a few blackberry pepper jams. I also did apple, pineapple, blueberry/pineapple mixed, and a triple berry.

I just take an approved recipe, and add one really hot pepper to the batch. there's no way the addition of one tiny pepper is gonna make it unsafe. and just to be on the safe side I'll add a tablespoon of lemon juice.

I use scorpion peppers, but all but a few people tell me it's way too hot. and that's with one pepper. I figure if you take an approved recipe and add a habanero or two it'll probably give you good results. I don't picture a jalapeno one coming out very well because in order to get any heat, you'd need a lot of jalapenos. with hotter peppers you get all the burn while retaining the flavor of the fruit you use.

just my 2 cents.

• mellyofthesouth
    9 years ago

When our neighbor's tree had a glut of limes I made lime pepper jelly. I just took two approved recipes - the lime jelly and a pepper jelly, halved each and then combined them. Worked great for that application.