Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_in_sd_z4

Fermenting ?s

eric_in_sd_z4
13 years ago

Hello everyone...

I am interested in getting started in fermenting and had a few questions. I would like to do mainly kraut and pickles and maybe kimchee if it can be done.

1. What size crock should I get? We go thru a jar of Claussens about once a month and kraut maybe two jars a month. If the kraut was really as good as everyone says, we may eat more of it. I'd like to be able to do a batch and then can what I make. I'll most likely be buying a Harsch.

2. Does anyone have a recipe for fermenting kimchee?

3. What other things can be done? I've read that people do their own hot sauce....what else?

4. I haven't seen that many recipes via the search on here. Most postings talk about issues. Would you be so kind as to post your pickle, kraut, whathaveyou recipes for me?

Thanks

E

Comments (16)

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Eric, I'd recommend heading over to Amazon and search in books: "fermented foods". There are several good ones there that give all kinds of wonderful recipes and methods. Ordering them 'used' from re-sellers cuts the cost considerably.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Here is a good place to start reading (link below) with info and recipes for pickles and kraut instructions. Also provides some basic info on crocks and other containers.

One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't really necessary to spend the $$ on an expensive crock. Many of us routinely ferment in many forms of food-safe containers like large glass jars and plastic buckets.

Here is a link to a few of the best previous discussions here on fermenting - some recipes included.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Fermenting

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Joy of Pickling has some very good fermenting recipes. It's an excellent over-all book on pickling and well worth the purchase.

Also, if you search this forum under kimchi or kimchee you'll find a number of fermented recipes for foods like daikon radish.

There's also a Joy of Pickling recipe posted for fermented green beans.

I do agree with Dave that a Harsch crock is unnecessary (even though I have one myself). With the larger crocks weight really becomes an issue and for big batches I really prefer the food-safe plastic containers.

Carol

• eric_in_sd_z4
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My thinking re size is that I should probably get something close to 4 - 5 gals. If it turns out that is too much to handle, I can always do a smaller batch.

Is there crocks that I can purchase that are a compromise between a Harsch and a Picklemaster that are recommended?

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Check out TSM crocks.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Look around locally for the 'old timey' hardware stores. We have one here that sells crocks of all sizes for 1/3 what the catalogs do. I'm very happy with a 3 gal size - price, ease of slinging around, volume, etc. and have 4 of them.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I use one gallon pickle jars for kraut, one quart wide mouths for pepper sauce. I use mostly "the joy of pickling" recipes, which are very good. I've used a packet of yogurt culture to jumpstart my pepper mash and that worked great.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

I was fortunate and bought 1 and 2 gal clear glass Ball Ideal jars back when they were available and affordable. Especially like because can see what is happening inside jar during fermenting and the narrow mouth makes it easy to seal off so traps the CO2 and prevents nasty yeast mold growth.

There are any number of 1 gal glass jars of pickles etc at my Sam's Club. Can't remember the brand name, but have seen 2 1/2 gal PET jars of pickles too.

Next time I go to Target will check these out...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 gal Heritage Hill jar

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

tracydr writes: I use one gallon pickle jars for kraut...

My next batch of kraut will be using one too:

The batch I started in a 1 gal Ball Ideal jar 5 days ago is (I think) going to be ready in 9 days or so.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

Mine was ready in about two weeks since my house temps were 78 degrees at the time. I'm thinking about starting another batch now, while my house is only 68 degrees. I wish my peppers would be ready at a cooler time of year, I was really nervous fermenting them, as my house was in the low 80s but it worked fine, I only fermented for a week, thanks to the yogurt starter and warm temps.
    My large health food store sells the gallon jars empty for about $2.00 so I have just stocked up on 4 of them. Thinking of doing 20 lbs of kraut while cabbage is 19 cents a pound.
    I added apples, onions and caraway to my lovely pink kraut last time, it was to die for. Froze it and it really seems to keep tasting better with time. Apples right now are .10 a pound so I feel obligated to put up apple sauce or something else with apples as well, I mean, that's practically free food!

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

A nice 'high five' at 43 hours:

Slumping at 142.5 hours:

This has been one of the warmest kraut ferments I've ever done. Usually I start off warm and then after a few days cool down to middle 60s or so for a couple weeks to finish off. I am so wanting to take a pH reading, but am going to wait several more days.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    13 years ago

Tied off one of the fingers so could cut off tip & test pH without the carbon dioxide escaping...

10 days

Was able to poke the tester tip into the kraut to get a reading. Then tied off the finger again.

pH

Going to put in my 60 degree basement to age for a few more days and do a taste test. Then will can in pints to see how crisp turns out. Just an experiment.

• pepperfool
    13 years ago

Does anyone know the ratio of salt to pepper when fermenting. all the ones i came across was 1/2 cup salt to 1gallon of peppers. What if your buying the peppers in pounds how would you go from there

• happyday
    12 years ago

John Showme, you mentioned youtube videos. If you have one of your fermenting I'd like to see it, can you post a link to your youtube account?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    12 years ago

Happyday,

Sorry, no canning or fermenting kraut etc videos. Just a couple hundred of my garden critter captures and family vids. Might someday do some relevant to this forum.

Maybe someone else here has canning videos?

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Been waiting on the price of cabbage to go down this year to make kraut. I don't usually grow cabbage as its not a vegetable that seems to do well in my garden. For some reason, the price has been staying fairly high, around 65 cents a pound. I like to see it less then 30 cents a pound but I may need to break down and buy it soon if it's just not going to go down.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting