Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White powder on inside of canned plums?

Posted by illuci Vermont (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 12:44

Hi there,
There is a fine white powder (not a lot) on the top inside glass of my jars of canned plums from the fall. I did a raw pack with a mildly sweet syrup. My thought is that it's just some sugars left over after the plums absorbed more of the liquid. The seal was good, and there's no substance on the rim or lid.
I'm just wondering if this is safe or if I should be concerned?
Thank you for any thoughts on this...
Lucy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White powder on inside of canned plums?

Hard to picture a "powder" in there given the liquid base so without seeing it all I can do is guess at what it might be. I never use raw pack for anything given the many advantages of hot pack so this is just a guess.

Something that was inside the plums, crystals from excess sugar or undissolved sugar, or yeast / mold. By crystals don't look like powder.

Assuming the jars were processed properly and given the acidity of the fruit it is hard to believe it is yeast or mold.

Safe? Probably. Once you open the jars you should be able to tell for sure.

Dave

o

You know what they say: When in doubt, throw it out.

As Dave said, Sugar CRYSTALS would not look like POWDER. I'm certainly not going to overrule Dave, because he has a far more extensive experience base than I do, but why risk it?

o

There's no particular food-risk with canned plums except for obvious spoilage like mold or fermentation, which can happen if the plums are over-ripe and there's yeast left on the skin. You'd be able to determine either of those possibilities quite quickly as they're obvious by sight and smell.

Personally, if they smell good and aren't "fizzy" I wouldn't be worried. My guess is since it's a raw pack some of the sugar wasn't fully dissolved or, perhaps, it's a precipitate from the "bloom" which exists on the skins of plums. As it's a powder, the latter seems more likely.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here