Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alphonse_gw

Mustard recipe, half pints

alphonse
11 years ago

My Ball CBofHP has a couple mustard recipes I like, but for 4oz. only.
Anyone know if they can be increased, or any recipe that is safe for 8oz. jars?
All my quarter pints are otherwise occupied presently; lots of half pint contenders.

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

AFAIK there are only tested and approved recipes for 1/2 pints and the guideline is that while you can always reduce the size of jars used, you cannot increase the size of the jars used over what is called for in the recipe.

The increased processing time that would be required for full pints would have detrimental effects on the quality and flavor.

Of course you can always package it in pints and refrigerate them. You can also freeze it. It will separate but is easily reconstituted after thawing although it will be a bit thinner.

Dave

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Thanks for reply "digdirt". It's an informative reply about AFAIK.

• alphonse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,
    Thanks for your response, can you point out where to find the half pint recipes?
    I wasn't about to double the 4oz. recipes. Due to this forum my canning savvy (and safety) is pretty good.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Personally, I don't see a safety issue with any of those mustards, regardless of jar size.

Mustard is naturally anti-bacterial. The low-acid ingredients like garlic and sage are infused then strained out, so those aren't issues, and generally those recipes have additional acid like wine or vinegar. So I can't see bacteria getting a foothold in any of those mixtures.

However, there is a quality issue to be aware of. Home-canned mustards tend to thicken in the jar and the heat processing dulls the flavors. So I'd be inclined to refrigerate or freeze as the option which yields the best long-term flavor.

If you're gifting, any of these mustards could be safely transported at room temp then refrigerated upon arrival.

Carol

• alphonse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Carol. I wasn't aware of flavor dulling.
    But canned it must be- refrigerated space is at a premium.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yeah that was my point in the original post - "detrimental effects on quality and flavor." The longer you process it the more the decline. So if canning stick with the small jars.

Dave

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Unless you're using big amounts, I'd just make a small batch (scale the recipe down) since freshness in mustards really pays off in flavor.

You're not talking about a seasonal product like peaches. Mustards can be made year-round.

Carol

• alphonse
    Original Author
    11 years ago

" You're not talking about a seasonal product like peaches. Mustards can be made year-round. "

I had a bumper crop of garlic and I've already got lots of dried, pickled, made into chili powder, sausage.......

Hmmm. Maybe I should try smoked garlic.