Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Bacon on pizza stone OK?

I just bought my first pizza/oven stone. A friend of mine uses hers to bake bacon, I've tasted it and it is perfect. I am worried that the grease from the bacon would go rancid and ruin the stone. Also will it make pizza, breads, ETC too greasy or bacon flavored? She say's its no problem, but I've never tasted her pizza or bread! Opinions?

Comments (6)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Hmmm, interesting question. I sure DON'T have any firm answers for you. Just some conjecture. I know recommended care varies a bit from one manufacturer to another, but basically you treat these kind of like cast iron, seasoning them and then wiping them off and scraping to clean, not immersing and not using soap or detergent.

I think any fat will go rancid sooner or later, but the repeated baking at high temps probably gets rid of the more volatile components and the moisture which would cause that. I guess if you weren't planning to use it regularly that would be more of a problem -- maybe clean it, coat with a light coating of neutral oil, and bake it for a long, long time at maximum safe heat prior to storage?

I think the bacon-flavor carryover might be an issue -- I guess one solution there might be just to keep two separate baking stones, one for bacon, one not. Otherwise, maybe again cleaning, wiping with a neutral oil, pre-baking for a while to let heat and chemistry work their magic, then re-oiling with a neutral oil prior to baking something that you don't want to taste like bacon might work?

• joy_unspeakable
    12 years ago

After the stone is cooled, just wipe down and rinse with hot water. I cook EVERYTHING on my stone and have never noticed any lingering flavors. I think the bacon would actually help 'season' the stone.
    ~ Tracy

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

I would be more concerned with where the drippings go than flavors. Mine is round and too large to set on top of any other pan I own.

I agree that the flavors shouldn't be a problem and the grease will help season. They really do rinse very clean with just hot water and a good scraping.

Besides, bacon's good with everything, right?? :)

Deanna

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Was she cooking the bacon directly on the stone? Or in a pan sitting on the stone?

If directly on the stone, I'm wondering about the bacon fat running off the stone and getting all over the inside of the oven.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

She bakes directly on the stone! She say's that the drippings just soak in. It is about 18" X 14" and she puts the bacon near the middle.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

i would never cook bacon on a pizza stone.pizza and bread stones are porous and that is too draw moisture out of the crust/dough too make it crisp. clogging up the pores with bacon fat is wrong. you would never get it all out. unless you want a stone just for bacon.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting