Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry-banana jam--Kraft/Certo recipe

Posted by jill2761 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 15:02

I'm cleaning out my freezer of last year's strawberries, dewberries and blackberries. I also have a couple of boxes of liquid Certo that I want to use up, so I'm making jam today. While searching the Certo website (Kraft Foods), I came across this recipe for Strawberry-Banana Jam. I know bananas are on the "Don't Can" list, but I also know that sometimes exceptions are made when the product has been thoroughly tested by reliable sources. Is this one of thosse times? I have fresh homegrown bananas and thought I'd try one batch of this jam. I verified that this is listed as a canning recipe (directions are given for BWB), not a freezer jam. If it shouldn't be canned, I can refrigerate and eat, but I'm curious.

3-1/2 cups prepared fruit (about 1 quart fully ripe strawberries)
1 small fully ripe banana
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
7 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)
1 pouch CERTO Fruit Pectin

The recipe also calls for fresh lemon juice instead of bottled.

Here is a link that might be useful: Certo Strawberry-Banana jam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry-banana jam--Kraft/Certo recipe

This has only one small banana but is mainly strawberries with lemon for additional acidity, so I don't see a problem with it.

Remember also this is a full-sugar recipe and that also plays a role in safety as it binds the water.

An all-banana or majority banana recipe would be a different matter.

Carol

o

Thank you! That was exactly my thinking when I decided to go for it. Our homegrown bananas are small. By the time I smushed/mashed it up good and added it to the berries, there are only tiny bits of bananas suspended in the jam. I didn't make an all-strawberry jam with the bananas...the berries are mixed...dewberries, blackberries, and strawberries. I used commercially bottled lemon juice. I was actually surprised by the wonderful flavor of this jam. I caught my husband eating the partial jar of leftover jam that didn't make it into the canner. He was eating it like dessert!

Nothing like cleaning out the freezer getting ready for spring! I also made a batch of berry-pineapple jam. I had an 8 oz jar of pineapple, leftover from some recipe that didn't use the entire can. I used another Certo recipe for this one---Strawberry pineapple jam, but it was the same mix of strawberries, dewberries and blackberries that I'd deseeded through my Roma Sauce Maker. Tastes pretty darn good, but not as good as the Berry-Banana. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla to each batch of jam. That's my homemade vanilla, with 100 proof vodka and organic vanilla beans. Good stuff.

Appreciate the feedback!

Jill

o

I've canned Banana Rum Jam, and it worked out ok. People LOVED it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here