Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

I'm alll out of. . .

pixie_lou
13 years ago

Since most of us do the majority of our canning in the summer, I can't be the only one who is running out of things. What have others run out of?

I'm all out of. . .

Diced Peaches - I still have tons of sliced peaches because last year I ran out of sliced peaches!

Blackberry Preserves

Annies Salsa - This is Zabby's fault since she posted this amazing salsa soup recipe (Well, I guess I didn't have to make all that soup just because she posted the recipe!)

Tomatillo Salsa

Marinara Sauce

Pears - I knew I didn't put up enough to begin with

Comments (12)

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I am almost out of sugar free applesauce. At least I can get apples cheap now. Just not in a canning mood, though.
    I am wanting to quilt instead.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I'm rationing the green beans.
    Carrots are running short, but I knew they would.
    Pickled asparagus is gone.
    Dilly beans are gone.

I"m out of frozen diced onions.
    No broccoli, cauliflower or asparagus (frozen).

And I'm ready for fresh veggies too!!!!

Deanna

• calliope
    13 years ago

I canned and canned last summer until I nearly exhausted my supply of jars, and for all practical purposes that supply is almost infinite. LOL. I filled my pantry, filled the jelly shelves in the inglenook, and then filled seven stackable holland bulb crates and they hold at least 24 quart jars apiece and stacked them in an unused bedroom. I am almost to the point of using down the jars in the stacked bins. I still have two packed pantries. So, no, I am not out of anything. I just wished I had more of certain things so I'd not have to use them just on special occasions.

I still have some of everything I canned in inventory and huge amounts of green beans, apples, jams and tomato products. I can't tell you how much that's saved me at the market so far this winter. Lots......that's for sure.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Sweet Green Tomato Pickles (only made 2.5 quarts)
    Dill Pickles
    Hot Pepper Salsa
    Goo Juice (spicy tomato juice I made from the guts of salsa/sauce tomatoes)

Conserving Annie's Salsa (I didn't see the recipe, in the fall I used 2 quarts with a can of black beans and some frozen corn to make soup) - back to using store-bought to make chili

2 more jars of Ellie Topp's Tomato Basil sauce left (we started eating store-bought again, the last 2 jars are for me and DH, or for company since the kids don't appreciate it)

1 more jar of Pickled Jalapenos in White Wine Vinegar

I still have a few jars of bread and butter pickles, applesauce, apple butter, and blackberry jam left (I made a LOT of blackberry jam), a couple jars of cran-apple jelly and 1 jar of Paradise jelly. Oh, and I just made a batch of Carrot Cake Jam last week.

Pixie Lou, I don't think you're far from me, drop me an email and maybe we can figure out a way to get you some blackberry jam (maybe trade some sliced peaches?).

• cinsay
    13 years ago

I'm out of mango chutney. Didn't make enough and discovered new ways to use it that are so yummy. I saw mangos on sale but I'm still in hibernation mood I guess so I'm not in the canning mood right now...

~Cindy

• misskimmie
    13 years ago

I'm out of Apple Butter, spiced peaches, and Strawberry-Rhubarb Butter. I only have 1 jar of Annies Salsa, I've been careful about the roasted tomato-garlic soup (2 jars) and I only have 1 jar of yellow heirloom tomato halves.

On the other hand I have lots of jams and jellies and plenty of pickles. I have plenty of garlic but running low of fresh carrots.
    -kim

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog- Little Homestead in the Village

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm now out of Strawberry Applesauce, Peach-Pineapple Salsa and Peach Pineapple Ginger Jam. Only 1 jar left of Peach Vanilla Jam.

• zabby17
    13 years ago

I just ran out of crushed tomatoes yesterday.

I knew I wouldn't have enough---I meant to do one more batch of them, was trying to coordinate with a friend who wanted to learn to can, had some travel to do in late September, and didn't end up fitting it in. A bunch of toms rotted on the vine (sniff!), though I collected and froze enough good ones for one final batch of salsa. Which so far is holding out, but we'll be in soup weather for a while yet, and my family tends to steal it when they visit, and it's still a LOOONG way from ripe tomato season where I live. I'm just going through my seeds and organizing for starting them in mid-to-late March.

I'm watching the pizza sauce carefully. I have a reasonable amount of total pasta sauce---we're eating less pasta, trying to eat more whole grains and beans---but I the extra-thick sauce I made with my San Marzano tomatoes, garlic, and oregano for pizza is disappearing fast as we've gotten into a Friday-night-pizza tradition.

And, unusually, getting low on jam. I've been making only two or three batches or so a year, because if I do more it piles up---we aren't huge eaters of it. But I think I made particularly small batches this spring, and gave away more than usual. Luckily, some friends came to stay and brought us some from Niagara.

Z
    P.S. Sorry, Pixie Lou! ;-)

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I'm almost out of . . . nothing, and I'm not real happy about this.

Dh says I need to cut back, grow less and can less, but then there goes all my fun!

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Oh, and the veggies I froze are almost gone. Corn is gone, fresh red pepper strips are gone. Still have some roasted red peppers.

I grew red peppers myself this year and we used mine for fresh eating and salsa. I bought a 3/4 bushel late in the season to put up; I roasted about half of them before freezing, and just cut the other half into strips to freeze. I LOVED having them ready to go for recipes all year! And so much less expensive when bought in season!

Will be doing that again.

Also froze about 4-5 quarts of corn. Will definitely do more this fall. I always mean to do a big batch, then don't get around to it. (Keeping up with tomatoes keeps me hopping in the fall.) This year I think I'll just make a point of doing a few extra ears every time we eat some.

Z

P.S. Macybaby, tell your husband not to worry---we'll all be right over to help you eat up some of that stuff.

• cabrita
    13 years ago

I have the opposite problem, with all sort of cole crops coming into season and still about 15 lbs of frozen greens in the deep freezer. I better use them up fast!

Peas are producing but I timed that one just right, I ate the last of the frozen snow peas already. Common beans are a long way off, but I still have 4-5 jars of dilly beans.

I still have tomatoes (sauce in jars, frozen ones and a quart of dried ones) but I will run out before July, which is the earliest I can expect a tomatoes abundance from my garden. So the answer would be tomatoes, but I still have some!